Devon Book Club discussion

The Rocks of Aserol
This topic is about The Rocks of Aserol
Archive > Any Steampunk Fans in the group?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Dee (richarddee) | 7 comments My Steampunk adventure, The Rocks of Aserol, was published last September.
Here is the blurb
At first glance it was a simple enough job, go to Aserol and find out what’s happening at the Waster mine. For Horis Strongman, it’s the start of an adventure, there are things that don’t add up and he stumbles upon a secret. It’s enough to kill for, but can he stay alive to expose it? In a world where Coal is King, where machines of Metal are powered by Steam and Clockwork, those in power want him silenced by any means.
Accused of a terrible crime, Horis is forced to run, aided by those who can prove his innocence, and unsure of whom he can trust.
As he gets closer to the truth, Horis finds that he’s just a pawn in a bigger game. When his enemies strike, it becomes a race to protect his friends from the people who cherish their power too much to give it up.
From the mines to the skies, on the oceans and rivers, The Rocks of Aserol could change the world.
Anyone interested in an alternative Victorian universe can also check out some bonus, scene-setting content at
http://richarddeescifi.co.uk/?page_id=201
An audio version is also available from Circle of Spears.

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
Richard wrote: "My Steampunk adventure, The Rocks of Aserol, was published last September.
Here is the blurb
At first glance it was a simple enough job, go to Aserol and find out what’s happening at the Waster mi..."

Sounds like a great book.. For the uninitiated (including me) can you explain steampunk?

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Dee (richarddee) | 7 comments Sure, it's a sort of high-tech Victorian society, usually without electricity or oil-based machinery. In some ways, it might be more advanced than our own society, it's certainly different! Of course, the emotions of the characters give it familiarity. Imagine a world dominated by coal and clockwork.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3024 comments Mod
Richard wrote: "Sure, it's a sort of high-tech Victorian society, usually without electricity or oil-based machinery. In some ways, it might be more advanced than our own society, it's certainly different! Of cour..."

Thanks - interesting. Interesting what you say about clockwork. I was listening to a podcast yesterday (The History of England) where I learned that clocks were first introduced in England in town squares around 1472 - fundamentally changing the way people lived their lives - for the first time allowing employers to require people to be present (and leave) at a specific time.