Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > November 2016 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3977 comments Mod
Nominations are open for November 2016.

Nominations are now open for the November Group Reads and will close on 23rd Octoberber 2016 at midnight GMT. Voting will then be from 25th to 30th Octobber 2016 inclusive.

You may nominate 2 books, 1 in each category (1.Group Main Read, 2.Group Value Read)
Value books must be £4($6.02) or less and will also be added from the freebies board or good finds.

General rules for Group Reads

1) If your nomination wins - you will be asked to be the discussion moderator.

2) No self-nominations by authors.

3) Please try not to repeat an author we have read in the last year. Check the bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

4) For your nomination please try and include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

5) Please see thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... for what is a British Mystery if you are unsure.

If you nominate a book that is part of a series please be sure that it can be read as a standalone for those members that may not have read the other books in the series.

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 553 comments Mod
I nominate Elizabeth Haynes, Never Alone, as main choice for group read.

message 3: by David (new)

Bill wrote: "I nominate Elizabeth Haynes, Never Alone, as main choice for group read."

No problem with that one Bill.
Never Alone by Elizabeth Haynes

It is £5.69 on Kindle in UK. Link for book is:- http://amzn.to/2esq2MH

message 4: by David (last edited Oct 16, 2016 09:55AM) (new)

Ok my nomination for the main group read is
The Zig Zag Girl (DI Stephens & Max Mephisto, #1) by Elly Griffiths

Most people will know Elly Griffiths for the Ruth Galloway series, in fact we read her Janus stone in that series back in 2013.

This is a different series and looked quite interesting to me. The blurb is:-
"Brighton, 1950.

When the body of a girl is found, cut into three, Detective Inspector Edgar Stephens is reminded of a magic trick, the Zig Zag Girl.

The inventor of the trick, Max Mephisto, is an old friend of Edgar's. They served together in the war as part of a shadowy unit called the Magic Men.

Max is still on the circuit, touring seaside towns in the company of ventriloquists, sword-swallowers and dancing girls. Changing times mean that variety is not what it once was, yet Max is reluctant to leave this world to help Edgar investigate. But when the dead girl turns out to be known to him, Max changes his mind.

Another death, another magic trick: Edgar and Max become convinced that the answer to the murders lies in their army days. When Edgar receives a letter warning of another 'trick', the Wolf Trap, he knows that they are all in the killer's sights..."

Link to book on Kindle UK is:- http://amzn.to/2dYuJP9

message 5: by Bill (new)

I've read this one & it is pretty good - review @ Goodreads. A historical with the main setting in the '50s & backstory during WW2. Backstory had some real improbabilities but main story was excellent & characters well conceived.

message 6: by Bill (last edited Oct 16, 2016 04:32PM) (new)

I nominate Untouchable, by Sibel Hodge, for value read.

A Conspiracy. A cover-up. And a whistle-blower… You think you know who to trust? You're wrong. Untouchable is a chillingly dark psychological thriller from the No 1 Bestselling Author of Look Behind You.

It’s Maya and Jamie’s anniversary, and she waits with excitement for him to return home for a celebratory dinner. There’s a knock at the door. It’s the police. Jamie has been found hanging in a local wood.

His death is ruled a suicide, but Maya doesn’t believe Jamie would take his own life. Something isn’t right. Someone has broken into her house. Someone is watching her. And someone has gone to great lengths to cover up what Jamie was doing before he died.

Maya’s grief turns to suspicion, and as she begins to investigate the weeks leading up to Jamie’s death, her trail leads her to a place known as “The Big House” and the horrific secrets within. Secrets people will stop at nothing to keep hidden. People linked to the heart of the Establishment who think they’re untouchable.

Now Maya has a dangerous decision to make. How far is she prepared to go to reveal the truth?

message 7: by David (new)

Untouchable by Sibel Hodge

Ok Bill it qualifies this side of pond as it is £1.99 on KIndle on Amazon UK
Link for book is http://amzn.to/2exMLqO

message 8: by David (new)

My value book nomination is
Black Dog by Stephen Booth

This is the very first book in the Cooper & Fry series and is currently only 99 pence.
The blurb...
"The long hot Peak District summer came to an end when they found Laura Vernon's body. But for local policeman Ben Cooper the work has just begun. His community is hiding a young girl’s killer and a past as dark as the Derbyshire night. It seems Laura was the keeper of secrets beyond her years and, in a case where no-one is innocent, everyone is a suspect.

But Cooper’s local knowledge and instincts are about to face an even greater challenge. The ambitious DC Diane Fry has been called in from another division, a woman as ruthless as she is attractive…"

Link to book on Amazon UK:- http://amzn.to/2e2k4Tu

message 9: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments David wrote: "Ok my nomination for the main group read is
The Zig Zag Girl (DI Stephens & Max Mephisto, #1) by Elly Griffiths

"

I loved Elly Griffiths other series so this sounds really good

message 10: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments I nominate Crime on the Fens by Joy Ellis
Crime on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #1) by Joy Ellis

Currently .99 on both Amazon US and UK

message 11: by David (new)

Fanficfan44 wrote: "I nominate Crime on the Fens by Joy Ellis
Crime on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #1) by Joy Ellis

Currently .99 on both Amazon US and UK"

Link to book on Amazon UK is:- http://amzn.to/2e3Zimx

Blurb is:-
"THE DETECTIVE DI Nikki Galena: A police detective with nothing left to lose, she’s seen a girl die in her arms, and her daughter will never leave the hospital again. She’s got tough on the criminals she believes did this to her. Too tough. And now she’s been given one final warning: make it work with her new sergeant, DS Joseph Easter, or she’s out.

HER PARTNER DS Joseph Easter is the handsome squeaky-clean new member of the team. But his nickname “Holy Joe” belies his former life as a soldier. He has an estranged daughter who blames him for everything that went wrong with their family.

THEIR ADVERSARY is a ruthless man who holds DI Galena responsible for his terrible disfigurement.

The town is being terrorised by gangs of violent thugs, all wearing identical hideous masks. Then a talented young female student goes missing on the marsh and Nikki and Joseph find themselves joining forces with a master criminal in their efforts to save her. They need to look behind the masks, but when they do, they find something more sinister and deadly than they ever expected . . .

THE SETTING The Lincolnshire Fens: great open skies brood over marshes, farmland, and nature reserves. It is not easy terrain for the Fenland Constabulary to police, due to the distances between some of the remote Fen villages, the dangerous and often misty lanes, and the poor telephone coverage. There are still villages where the oldest residents have never set foot outside their own farmland and a visit to the nearest town is a major event. But it has a strange airy beauty to it, and above it all are the biggest skies you’ve ever seen."

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin Maccabe [Detective/Cryptologist] (pocketchopstick) I nominate "Some Danger Involved" by Will Thomas

Some Danger Involved (Barker & Llewelyn, #1) by Will Thomas
Some Danger Involved

British Mystery involving a establish detective that takes on an assistant who takes the job as a last resort before suicide. Setting is in Victorian London. This book is the first part of the series and is easy to read for anyone!

message 13: by David (new)

Erin wrote: "I nominate "Some Danger Involved" by Will Thomas

Some Danger Involved

British Mystery involving a establish detective that takes on an assis..."

This is £2.98 in paperback in UK so qualifies as a value book not sure on price in USA but as only paperback or hardback here I suspect it will be more so this is most likely a main book read qualification.
Link to book in UK Amazon is http://amzn.to/2ejEx1l

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments David wrote: "Erin wrote: "I nominate "Some Danger Involved" by Will Thomas

Some Danger Involved

British Mystery involving a establish detective that take..."

It makes no sense considering the book is over 10 years old but the kindle version is between $16 - $18 dollars in Canada & the States. It's a great victorian mystery, fast paced & humorous.

message 15: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments Yes I just checked $14.99 Kindle Ebook in US or $19.99 paperback

message 16: by David (new)

Last day for nominations.

message 17: by Bill (new)

Fanficfan44 wrote: "Yes I just checked $14.99 Kindle Ebook in US or $19.99 paperback"

Seems insanely overpriced, almost as if the publisher doesn't want us to buy it. Still, that's the author's problem.

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 568 comments It is $18 in Canada or $24 in paperback. Can get it used for less than $10.

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) David wrote: "My value book nomination is

This is the very first book in the Cooper & Fry series and is currently only 99 pence.
The blurb...

I'd like to nominate a different Booth book. (It comes in big print is the only reason that I am-- probably not the best reason to switch but it looks goodLost River :-) )
Lost River
by Stephen Booth

A May Bank Holiday in the Peak District is ruined by the tragic drowning of an eight-year-old girl among crowds of visitors in the tourist hotspot of Dovedale. For Detective Constable Ben Cooper, a helpless witness to the tragedy, the incident is not only traumatic, but leads him to become involved in the tangled lives of the Neilds, the dead girl's family.

As he gets to know them, Cooper begins to suspect that one of them is harbouring a secret -- a secret that the whole family might be willing to cover up.

Meanwhile, Detective Sergeant Diane Fry has a journey of her own to make -- a journey back to her roots. As she finds herself drawn into an investigation of her own among the inner city streets of Birmingham, Fry realises there is only one person she can rely on to provide the help she needs.

But that man is Ben Cooper, and he's back in Derbyshire, where his suspicions are leading him towards a shocking discovery on the banks of another Peak District river.

"The long..."

message 20: by Mary (last edited Oct 23, 2016 10:37AM) (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) Lost River (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #10) by Stephen Booth

Lost River (Cooper & Fry #10)
by Stephen Booth

Only nominating a different Booth story because it comes in Large Print. Probably not the best reason but it looks good, too.

A May Bank Holiday in the Peak District is ruined by the tragic drowning of an eight-year-old girl among crowds of visitors in the tourist hotspot of Dovedale. For Detective Constable Ben Cooper, a helpless witness to the tragedy, the incident is not only traumatic, but leads him to become involved in the tangled lives of the Neilds, the dead girl's family.

As he gets to know them, Cooper begins to suspect that one of them is harbouring a secret -- a secret that the whole family might be willing to cover up.

Meanwhile, Detective Sergeant Diane Fry has a journey of her own to make -- a journey back to her roots. As she finds herself drawn into an investigation of her own among the inner city streets of Birmingham, Fry realises there is only one person she can rely on to provide the help she needs.

But that man is Ben Cooper, and he's back in Derbyshire, where his suspicions are leading him towards a shocking discovery on the banks of another Peak District river.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments Black Dog (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #1) by Stephen Booth

I've had this on my TBR stack for ages. Even better, I can get from the library for free!

message 22: by David (new)

Mary wrote: "Lost River (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #10) by Stephen Booth

Lost River (Cooper & Fry #10)
by Stephen Booth

Only nominating a different Booth story because it comes in Large Print. Probably not the best reason but it looks g..."

This would be a main book read as £6.49 in UK. Link to book http://amzn.to/2eZL3i5

message 23: by David (new)

OK then the nominations are closed and we have

Main Book Reads
1: Never Alone by Elizabeth Haynes - nominated by Bill
2: The Zig Zag Girl by Elly Griffiths - nominated by David
3: Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas - nominated by Erin
4: Lost River by Stephen Booth - nominated by Mary

Value Book Reads
1: Untouchable by Sibel Hodge - nominated by Bill
2: Black Dog by Stephen Booth - nominated by David
3: Crime on the Fens by Joy Ellis - nominated by fanficfac44

message 24: by David (new)

Voting is now open.
Please vote for your choices in the poll section at https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/4...

message 25: by David (new)

Voting is close in the main group read so keep voting as it is open until 30th October.

message 26: by David (new)

last day for voting so dont forget to vote.

message 27: by David (new)

Thanks to all who voted. A close vote but the main group read winner is
Never Alone by Elizabeth Haynes - Never Alone by Elizabeth Haynes - nominated by Bill

The value read was a little more clear cut and we have
Crime on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #1) by Joy Ellis - Crime on the Fens by Joy Ellis - nominated by fanficfan44

message 28: by Mary (last edited Oct 31, 2016 05:41AM) (new)

Mary C | 173 comments David - so that the group gets credit for purchasing these items, could you forward the Amazon link again, please? I need the one for the US Amazon, btw.

Thank you.

message 29: by Bill (new)

David wrote: "Thanks to all who voted. A close vote but the main group read winner is
Never Alone by Elizabeth Haynes - Never Alone by Elizabeth Haynes - nominated by Bill

The value read was a little more cle..."

All ready to go with Never Alone.