Horror Aficionados discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads > November Group Read Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Char (new)

Char  | 14219 comments Mod
Aficionados, it's that time again-time to nominate some books for our November Group Reads! We have no theme for this month but we do have a few rules:

Nothing we've read in the last 6 months is eligible!
Authors may not nominate their own books!

Please remember that books that have more than 1 nomination are more likely to make it into our final poll.

message 2: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 31 comments I vote for the Omen by David Seltzer

message 3: by Moda (new)

Moda Mahones | 1 comments Can it be short reads? if so I just read this new one Mid Harvest Road: A Jacob Kearns Series Prequel by Jonuel Negron

message 5: by Danny (new)

Danny Farham (dannyfarham) The Ghost in the Electric Blue Suit by Graham Joyce is my vote. In the U.K. It's known as Year of the Ladybird

message 6: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 603 comments I would like to nominate Katie by Michael McDowell

Katie by Michael McDowell

message 7: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (pinkbear) | 33 comments The Grotesques Tia Reed

Looks interesting...

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6073 comments Mod
I'll nominate The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale , Joe R. Lansdale, or I Am Legend by Richard Matheson , by Richard Matheson

message 9: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3124 comments Mod
I have two ideas: The Child Thief The Child Thief by Brom The Night Parade The Night Parade by Ronald Malfi

message 11: by Tad (new)

Tad (tottman) | 18 comments This is a novella, but I'd love an excuse to move PAIN PAIN by Harry Shannon by Harry Shannon to the top of my TBR so I'll nominate it.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 5 comments Fall of never or Night parade by malfi

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

I'll second The Child Thief by Brom , by Brom--I almost recommended this one, myself!!!!

message 14: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1529 comments Mod
We haven't read any Edward Lee in a very long time. So, I second the nomination for City Infernal City Infernal (City Infernal, #1) by Edward Lee .

message 15: by Latasha (last edited Oct 15, 2016 10:45AM) (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11041 comments Mod
wow! there is some great suggestions here! i'll 3rd The Child Thief and 2nd Katie and Songs of a Dead Dreamer if that's ok

message 16: by WendyB (last edited Oct 15, 2016 10:50AM) (new)

Kimberly wrote: "I'll second The Child Thief by Brom, by Brom--I almost recommended this one, myself!!!!"

If it's not the group read next month, I'm up for a buddy read of it. Just gotta finish some of my Halloween reads.

message 17: by Latasha (new)

WendyB wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'll second The Child Thief by Brom, by Brom--I almost recommended this one, myself!!!!"

If it's not the group read next month, I'm up for a buddy read of it. Just got..."

sounds good but I can not get crazy like I did this month! lol some of y'all are just going to have to tell me NO! :p

message 18: by WendyB (new)

Latasha wrote: "WendyB wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'll second The Child Thief by Brom, by Brom--I almost recommended this one, myself!!!!"

If it's not the group read next month, I'm up for a buddy read ..."

...but you'll join us for this one, right? Good. :D

message 19: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brendiflor) Strings by Allison Dickson

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

WendyB wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'll second The Child Thief by Brom, by Brom--I almost recommended this one, myself!!!!"

If it's not the group read next month, I'm up for a buddy read of it. Just got..."

LOL! I bought this one after KRAMPUS--I loved his writing and illustrations.

message 21: by Paul (last edited Oct 15, 2016 03:43PM) (new)

Paul (paulstevens) Well since Halloween is a comin', I nominate The Halloween Tree The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury by good old Ray Bradbury. It's a nice short read of 170 pages or so too.

message 22: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (erskigal) | 38 comments How about 'Usher's Passing' by Robt R. McCammon. It's the the scariest book I ever read but the characters are terrific!

message 23: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 603 comments Nancy wrote: "How about 'Usher's Passing' by Robt R. McCammon. It's the the scariest book I ever read but the characters are terrific!"

We're reading it right now for a group read:-). And I agree with the characters being terrific! It's a really great read.

message 24: by Latasha (new)

Yes Wendy, I will. Nancy, we are currently reading that one right now. I'm still reading it as well as Andrew and I don't know who all else if you want to join us. Look under October group reads.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Hmm. I'd like to nominate: The Hatching and
The Curse of the Wendigo.

If it's OK, i second Something Wicked This Way Comes. I've never read it!

message 26: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 736 comments Kenneth wrote: "I vote for the Omen by David Seltzer"

I haven't read The Omen in 30+ years. Excellent suggestion.

message 27: by Nancy (last edited Oct 18, 2016 04:36PM) (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 736 comments WendyB wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'll second The Child Thief by Brom, by Brom--I almost recommended this one, myself!!!!"

I am going to be reading this soon. It was suggested to me to read for a another group challenge. I'll buddy read it with you if it doesn't win for November!

message 28: by Nancy (last edited Oct 15, 2016 04:47PM) (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 736 comments Rachel wrote: "Hmm. I'd like to nominate: The Hatching and
The Curse of the Wendigo.

If it's OK, i second Something Wicked This Way Comes. I've never read it!"

I have Something Wicked This Way Comes on my list for next month as well. Also The Hatching is on my TBR.

So many good suggestions for next month! It will be hard to vote for just one.

message 29: by Chris (last edited Oct 15, 2016 05:40PM) (new)

Chris (gonetoyourhaed) | 41 comments John wrote: "The Abominable by Dan Simmons"

I second The Abominable The Abominable by Dan Simmons by Dan Simmons. And I've been wanting to read Alhazred Alhazred Author of the Necronomicon by Donald Tyson for a long time. It's the life and times of Abdul Alhazred, author of Lovecraft's fictional book the Necronomicon.

message 30: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3462 comments Mod
I was reading a great short horror story collection this month and saw that the author was reading this book, upon looking it up it grabbed me, so I had to get it, it's creepy and intriguing and people seem to love it so this is my recommendation -

Hex Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt

Whoever is born here, is doomed to stay 'til death. Whoever settles, never leaves.

Welcome to Black Spring, the seemingly picturesque Hudson Valley town haunted by the Black Rock Witch, a 17th century woman whose eyes and mouth are sewn shut. Muzzled, she walks the streets and enters your homes at will. She stands next to your bed for nights on end. Everybody knows that her eyes may never be opened.

The elders of Black Spring have virtually quarantined the town by using high-tech surveillance to prevent their curse from spreading. Frustrated with being kept in lockdown, the town's teenagers decide to break their strict regulations and go viral with the haunting, but in so doing send the town spiraling into the dark, medieval practices of the past.

message 31: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 93 comments Kasia wrote: "I was reading a great short horror story collection this month and saw that the author was reading this book, upon looking it up it grabbed me, so I had to get it, it's creepy and intriguing and pe..."

It's been unavailable for months at NYPL :(

message 32: by Latasha (new)

I thought that name looked familiar! He (not HPL) was the one who wrote the necronomicon right? Good lord, I can't spell that & autocorrect isn't helping!

message 33: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3462 comments Mod
V wrote: "Kasia wrote: "I was reading a great short horror story collection this month and saw that the author was reading this book, upon looking it up it grabbed me, so I had to get it, it's creepy and int..."

I just broke down and got the hardcover, I was ordering seeds and pots as I'm into gardening lately and snuck in a book, so glad its this one :)

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris (gonetoyourhaed) | 41 comments Latasha wrote: "I thought that name looked familiar! He (not HPL) was the one who wrote the necronomicon right? Good lord, I can't spell that & autocorrect isn't helping!"

Haha yes. He's only referenced a few times in Lovecraft's actual writing (I believe). But the author Donald Tyson created an entire fiction surrounding him. He also wrote his own fictional version of the Necronomicon Necronomicon: The Wanderings of Alhazred

message 35: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 93 comments Kasia wrote: "V wrote: "Kasia wrote: "I was reading a great short horror story collection this month and saw that the author was reading this book, upon looking it up it grabbed me, so I had to get it, it's cree..."

:) I haven't bought a book in a long time. I am really thinking about getting a job at Barnes and Noble for the holidays :) to build up my audiobook addiction. :) :)

message 36: by Latasha (new)

Right. That sounds great Chris.

message 37: by Michael (new)

Michael J. (michaeljclarke) | 302 comments Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3519 comments Kelly wrote: "I would like to nominate Katie by Michael McDowell

Katie by Michael McDowell"

I second this. :)

message 39: by Kimberly (new)

Kasia wrote: "I was reading a great short horror story collection this month and saw that the author was reading this book, upon looking it up it grabbed me, so I had to get it, it's creepy and intriguing and pe..."

This one looks great, too!

message 40: by SeraphIonna (new)

SeraphIonna | 41 comments The Omen by David Seltzer sounds good to me.

message 41: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 2 comments I would like to nominate Beauty of Beast written by Viktoria Faust, my favourite author when it comes to horror...

message 42: by Char (new)

I'm PSYCHED to see how many nominations we have already!
There's some really good books too. :)

To Nancy(erskigal), Usher's Passing is disqualified because we're reading it now for October's group read. Please feel free to nominate something else.

I'm intrigued by the Brom nomination, because he has a new book coming out at the end of the month. :)

Keep the noms coming, we'll keep this thread going for another day or two!

message 43: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 6 comments WendyB wrote: "I have two ideas: The Child Thief The Child Thief by Brom The Night ParadeThe Night Parade by Ronald Malfi"
The Child Thief sounds really good.

message 44: by Nickronomicon (new)

Nickronomicon | 157 comments These are both up next on my pile, so I'll throw them into the mix:

Swift to Chase by Laird Barron Swift to Chase
Red Equinox by Douglas Wynne Red Equinox

message 45: by Char (new)

I'll leave this up until tomorrow and then I'll put the poll together.

message 46: by Mike (new)

Mike Wallace | -86 comments Wasteland Gods by Jonathan Woodrow

Just bought it on Kindle. It looks good.

message 47: by Alabama (new)

Alabama Vee (alabamavee) | 114 comments WendyB wrote: "I have two ideas: The Child Thief The Child Thief by Brom The Night ParadeThe Night Parade by Ronald Malfi"
So many good books but I second Child thief and Night Parade

message 48: by Char (new)

Okay, nominations are now closed. The email about the polls will be going out shortly. Thanks everyone!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.