2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Little Women
This topic is about Little Women
ARCHIVE 2016 > Little Women: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Oct 27, 2016 03:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4589 comments Our November group read will be Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Little Women is the heartwarming story of the March family that has thrilled generations of readers. It is the story of four sisters--Jo, Meg, Amy and Beth-- and of the courage, humor and ingenuity they display to survive poverty and the absence of their father during the Civil War.

Cassandra will lead the discussion, thank you!

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments I am just too excited for this group read! Look at the beaut I picked up at the library this morning!

Little Women

I read the regular version of Little Women when I was younger, but it's been awhile so I'm glad to both reread it and to gain some new insights through the annotations!

message 3: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4589 comments That's a really nice version Emily! I almost wish I didn't read this last year, but it's a little too fresh to read again so soon. It's a wonderful book though.

Cassandra | 5832 comments That's a beautiful cover!

I'm really looking forward to reading this one. It's a classic that's been on my list for a long time and is highly rated by many of my Goodreads friends.

For other folks who are participating, will this be the first time read or a re-read?

Imbunche | 156 comments It will be the first time read for me. Hopefully I'll like it.

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I had never read this one before. I actually have been reading it slowly in Serial Reader, and will definitely be finishing in November some time.

Cassandra | 5832 comments How do you like Serial Reader? I tend to read one book at a time and try to power through it. I've always been interested in reading a smaller chunk of a book every day though.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) | 9 comments This is a very good book that I have re-read a few times over the years.

message 9: by Taylor C (new) - added it

Taylor C | 454 comments I've taken a too long break from reading. Happy to be back and I think I'll be able to join in on this book. :)

message 10: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 655 comments I wasn't planning to read this one yet, but since it's BOTM I'll rearange a little bit and join on this one :-) and it's the first time read for me, though I've seen several times the movie and really loved it. When I learned it is a book series I was really sad, they didn't make the other books into a movie.

Jamie (jamieu) | 57 comments This is a re-read for me, but since I was so young, it's practically new! I love the movie version as well.

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Cassandra, I love Serial Reader. It's nice to be able to read classics in little chunks. Not really necessary for Little Women, but that's how I started reading it. But I read Age of Innocence and Dr. Moreau earlier, and both were perfect for the format. I just make sure it's the first thing I read each day. Takes about 10 minutes, and before you know it, you've finished a classic.

It's also just a beautiful, well thought out app.

message 13: by Zoë (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoë Neo | 214 comments I've never read Little Women before but I have always meant to so I might as well give it a go now!

Cassandra | 5832 comments Great! Glad to hear so many folks joining in on the group read. I'm looking forward to discussing it.

Eileen (ileandover) | 1 comments I watched the movie 100 times but I've never read the book. I'm excited to see how I feel about the book reading it for the first time.

Elizabeth Winston | 33 comments This is the first time I have read it. I may not get done as fast as everyone else.

message 17: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments It's okay, Elizabeth! Everyone can read at his or her own pace. :)

Karen Mockoviak | 261 comments Started this a couple of days ago and so far I really enjoy it! And the copy that I got is really tiny, it's so cute, and completely suits the title!

message 19: by Trix (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trix Wilkins (marchandlaurence) | 8 comments This is a re-read for me, one of my favorites - though admittedly, some chapters get more re-read than others... "Being neighborly" I just fell in love with. And "Camp Laurence" is a hoot! I have one of those paperback Penguins but hope to come across a gilded hardcover in a second-hand book store one day...

message 20: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Camp Laurence was always one of my favorite chapters!

Cassandra | 5832 comments I should be starting this tonight! Took me a bit longer than I expected to get to it, but I'm excited to jump into the discussion.

message 22: by Alisia (last edited Nov 08, 2016 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alisia (meniali) | 248 comments I just started the audio version today, I was on my library's wait list. This will be my first time reading Little Women. It's about a 19 hour audio and I'm an hour in, so far so good. I'm super interested in checking out this Serial Reader app some of you are talking about! I've never heard of it.

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Alisia, I hope you check Serial Reader out and let us know what you think. I started Little Women with it a while ago and now I'm on chapter 36.

Hope you enjoy the audio version.

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Thanks for posting that photo, Emily...I just had to buy a copy after I saw it. LOL It's so big and heavy that I can't read it on the couch or bed! I'll have to sit here at my desk. But I am interested in the notations and want to go through them. I did read the author's life chronology in the back and was fascinated by the comparisons and the differences between the March's lives and the author's life.

Libros de Carmencita (librosdecarmencita) I read little women in september and I just love it! My favorite characte is Jo for sure

Heather | 5 comments I've never read Little Women, and always meant to. I was browsing at B&N just yesterday and came *this* close to buying a copy (there's also a book called Little Men, which i didn't know!) I almost bought both, but decided I had too many other books waiting - and today I see this thread. I'm thinking it's a sign ;) I'd better join and dive in.

Cassandra | 5832 comments Welcome Heather! I'm excited to hear what you think.

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1338 comments Today is Louisa May Alcott's birthday!

Cassandra | 5832 comments Good catch! I just saw the Google doodle for today and said "these people look familiar" but I didn't click the link to see what it was. Now I see it's for her birthday. :)

message 30: by Zoë (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoë Neo | 214 comments Oh wow it is! Seems Little Women was picked as the group read in a particularly appropriate month :)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1338 comments Cassandra wrote: "Good catch! I just saw the Google doodle for today and said "these people look familiar" but I didn't click the link to see what it was. Now I see it's for her birthday. :)"

That's the only reason I knew! :-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Little Women (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Louisa May Alcott (other topics)