The Challenge Factory discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
♦Factory Archives♦ > Read, Reading Now and Reading Next (Oct-Dec 2016)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16210 comments Mod
Listening to A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman and reading Tempting Tristan Tristan Brewer (Harborside Nights #3; Love in Bloom #57) by Melissa Foster

message 2: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments Listening to Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5) by Kevin Hearne and reading Mad Lizard Mambo (Kai Gracen, #2) by Rhys Ford

message 3: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

~Melissa~ wrote: "Listening to Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5) by Kevin Hearne and readingMad Lizard Mambo (Kai Gracen, #2) by Rhys Ford"

Hey Melissa,
Guess what I chose this week's bingo (Ugly Covers): Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, #1) by Rachel Haimowitz

message 4: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments It's been a while but I remember enjoying it.

I picked Tell Me It's Real (At First Sight, #1) by T.J. Klune ~ works for both PtP and bingo. There were some really awful covers on that list, lol

message 5: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

~Melissa~ wrote: "It's been a while but I remember enjoying it.

I picked Tell Me It's Real (At First Sight, #1) by T.J. Klune ~ works for both PtP and bingo. There were some really awful covers on that list, lol"

I just didn't love that book, but I think it's the writing style. I don't find him amusing.

message 6: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1766 comments Read: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow Over Sea, Under Stone (The Dark Is Rising, #1) by Susan Cooper
Reading: The Gamble General David Petraeus and the American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2006-2008 by Thomas E. Ricks The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien
Next: Fun Home A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night (Alvin Ho, #5) by Lenore Look

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink Caddie Woodlawn – Carol Ryrie Brink
– 4****
This Newbery Award winner tells the story of Caddie Woodlawn, age about 12, in 1864 Wisconsin. Caddie is a courageous, intelligent and resourceful girl. The story reminds me a bit of Laura Ingalls Wilders’ “Little House” books, and that is definitely a good comparison.
Full Review HERE

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Oct 16 – currently reading

TEXT – Midaq Alley by Naguib Mahfouz Midaq Alley by Naguib Mahfouz
AUDIO in the car – Dracula by Bram Stoker Dracula by Bram Stoker
Portable AUDIO – Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5) by L.M. Montgomery Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery

message 9: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments Finished up Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5) by Kevin Hearne on audio and read both Mad Lizard Mambo (Kai Gracen, #2) by Rhys Ford and Tell Me It's Real (At First Sight, #1) by T.J. Klune . I enjoyed all of them. OMG the voice Luke Daniels does for Oberon is hilarious!

Started audio The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter and reading Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers, #1) by J.A. Redmerski

message 10: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

I like the Scribe on audio

message 11: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments ThatEzi wrote: "I like the Scribe on audio"

It's been really good so far.

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Sit! Stay! Speak! by Annie England Noblin Sit! Stay! Speak! – Annie England Noblin – 1*
Addie Andrews has inherited her Aunt Tilda’s house in tiny Eunice Arkansas, so she moves from Chicago, and the painful memories there, to refurbish the homestead and heal from her wounds. The best part of this novel – and unfortunately is a small part – is Felix, the pit bull puppy; and I say that even though I’m not a “dog person.” I knew going in that it was chick lit, and I wasn’t expecting great literature but this was really bad.
Full Review HERE

message 13: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments I finished Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers, #1) by J.A. Redmerski - I enjoyed it - reminded me of Consequences - not that they are the same type of dark. Ezi ~ I thought you had recommended this book to me for MnG or Pchicks this month but I must have been mistaken. Anyhoo - I want to continue and read book 2 sometime

Still working on The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter and loving it. I'm sorry I've waited so long to start this series but I really didn't love her other series ...probably why I've put it off...shame on me

I'm almost done with reading Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1) by J.L. Bryan - good book to read for October. Beginning is pretty slow but sure does pick up around 60% mark and now really creepy

message 14: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Read: Marked in Flesh (The Others, #4) by Anne Bishop Tempting Tristan Tristan Brewer (Harborside Nights #3; Love in Bloom #57) by Melissa Foster Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen
Reading: Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, #1) by Rachel Haimowitz Honor (The Breaking Point, #1) by Jay Crownover Numbers (New Species, #14-15) by Laurann Dohner All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood
To Read: Steadfast (True North, #2) by Sarina Bowen The Duke Is Mine (Fairy Tales, #3) by Eloisa James

message 15: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments @Ezi - how was Bittersweet? Yeah ~ you're all up to date with the Meg :)
Are you enjoying Counterpoint?

message 16: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments Finished The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1) by Elizabeth Hunter - loved it - awesome series starter 5♥
Also finished Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper #1) by J.L. Bryan - 3♥ - first part was too slow for me - last 30-40% was good.

Started The Dark Light of Day (The Dark Light of Day, #1) by T.M. Frazier on audio - still deciding on a book to 'read'

message 17: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

~Melissa~ wrote: "I finished Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers, #1) by J.A. Redmerski - I enjoyed it - reminded me of Consequences - not that they are the same type of dark. Ezi ~ I thought you had recommended this book to me for MnG or ..."

I've read up to book four in this series. I get it if it's in sale

message 18: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 5015 comments ThatEzi wrote: "~Melissa~ wrote: "I finished Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers, #1) by J.A. Redmerski - I enjoyed it - reminded me of Consequences - not that they are the same type of dark. Ezi ~ I thought you had recommended this book..."

Cool - I put #2 on my list to get

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Pax by Sara Pennypacker Pax – Sara Pennypacker – 4****
Peter is forced to turn his pet fox, Pax, loose in the woods, but then reconsiders and sets out to rescue his beloved pet. This is a wonderful tale of loyalty, love, grief and perseverance. The point of view shifts from from Pax’s story to Peter’s experiences by chapters. Both Peter and Pax have been betrayed and are distrustful as a result. They draw on reserves of strength, courage and perseverance they didn’t know they had to help not only themselves but those around them.
Full Review HERE

message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson Journey to the River Sea – Eva Ibbotson – 4****
Maia is an orphan in London, in the early 1900s who is sent to live with distant relatives on their rubber plantation in Brazil. What a lovely adventure / coming-of-age story! Maia is a strong female character – intelligent, kind, generous, brave, resourceful and loyal. I did think the Carter family – father, mother, and twins – were rather stereotypical “villains,” but that is a small quibble. This is a children’s book, after all, and I don’t expect the same subtleties that I would in literature written for adults.
Full Review HERE

message 21: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1766 comments Read: The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien Fun Home A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel
Reading: The Gamble General David Petraeus and the American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2006-2008 by Thomas E. Ricks Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night (Alvin Ho, #5) by Lenore Look
Next: Heaven (Heaven, #1) by Angela Johnson The Call of the Wild by Jack London

message 22: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Read: All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood Reading: The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4) by Eloisa James To Read: Steadfast (True North, #2) by Sarina Bowen Rented Heart by Garrett Leigh The Devil's Bedpost by Lena Hart

message 23: by Penni (new)

Penni | 993 comments Read: Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5) by Gail Carriger Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs Reading: The Dinner by Herman Koch Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day To Read: Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2) by Jennifer Ashley

message 24: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Penni wrote: "Read: Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5) by Gail Carriger Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs Reading: The Dinner by Herman Koch Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day To Read: [bookcover:Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marria..."

I love the Mercy Book: Bone Crossed the best. I also love the MacKenzies

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Dracula by Bram Stoker Dracula – Bram Stoker – 5*****
Stoker wrote this as a series of journal or diary entries, letters and newspaper clippings. This gives a certain immediacy to the writing, and builds suspense. The novel is wonderfully atmospheric; from the delights of a new culture as Harker first experiences the loveliness of Eastern Europe, to the creepy, skin-crawling scene with the hordes of rats, and finally to the “pure-white” snow of the mountain blizzard, time and again Stoker puts the reader smack dab in the middle of the scenes. But the novel is more than just a horror story. There are several themes which would be great for book group discussion.
Full Review HERE

message 26: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5) by L.M. Montgomery Anne’s House of Dreams – L M Montgomery – 4****
What I love about these books is Anne, herself. She’s so optimistic and friendly, with good common sense, a kind heart, and a generous spirit. She is no stranger to trouble and heartache, and this book definitely includes some heart-wrenching events. I love the young woman she has become.
Full Review HERE

message 27: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Oct 27, 2016 07:00AM) (new)

Read: All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood Review Bittersweet (True North, #1) by Sarina Bowen Review
Reading: Steadfast (True North, #2) by Sarina Bowen Rented Heart by Garrett Leigh Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1) by Elizabeth Hoyt
To Read: Filthy English (English, #2) by Ilsa Madden-Mills

message 28: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments The Dinner by Herman Koch The Dinner – Herman Koch– 4****
In an oh-so-fashionable restaurant in Amsterdam two couples meet for dinner. I was completely fascinated by the psychological nuances explored in these two couples. Over the course of this meal they dance around the very serious situation their sons have gotten into. Emotions are triggered, and just as quickly suppressed. I can hardly wait for my F2F book group discussion!
Full Review HERE

message 29: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1766 comments Read: Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night (Alvin Ho, #5) by Lenore Look The Call of the Wild by Jack London
Reading: The Gamble General David Petraeus and the American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2006-2008 by Thomas E. Ricks Heaven (Heaven, #1) by Angela Johnson
Next: Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1) by Stephanie Barron Greenwitch (The Dark Is Rising, #3) by Susan Cooper

message 30: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Midaq Alley by Naguib Mahfouz Midaq Alley – Naguib Mahfouz – 4****
I love stories that feature an ensemble cast such as this. Midaq Alley is but one of many such small streets in Cairo. The residents form a microcosm of society, and over the course of the novel they fall in love, endure heartbreak, commit crimes, become ill, take chances at new adventures, and simply move on with their lives. Mahfouz’s writing is wonderfully atmospheric – I could smell the bread baking, or hear the cacophony of sound in a busy public square.
Full Review HERE

message 31: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1766 comments Read: The Gamble General David Petraeus and the American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2006-2008 by Thomas E. Ricks Greenwitch (The Dark Is Rising, #3) by Susan Cooper
Reading: Heaven (Heaven, #1) by Angela Johnson Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1) by Stephanie Barron
Next: Courage Has No Color The True Story of the Triple Nickles, America's First Black Paratroopers by Tanya Lee Stone Allergic to the Great Wall, the Forbidden Palace, and Other Tourist Attractions (Alvin Ho, #6) by Lenore Look

message 32: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1766 comments Read: Heaven (Heaven, #1) by Angela Johnson Courage Has No Color The True Story of the Triple Nickles, America's First Black Paratroopers by Tanya Lee Stone
Reading: Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1) by Stephanie Barron Allergic to the Great Wall, the Forbidden Palace, and Other Tourist Attractions (Alvin Ho, #6) by Lenore Look
Next: That Time I Joined the Circus by J.J. Howard Sense & Sensibility (The Austen Project #1) by Joanna Trollope

message 33: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Theo wrote: "Read: Heaven (Heaven, #1) by Angela Johnson Courage Has No Color The True Story of the Triple Nickles, America's First Black Paratroopers by Tanya Lee Stone
Reading: [bookcover:Jane and the Unpleasantness a..."

I got Alvin Ho on audio so on a family trip, my son can listen to it.

message 34: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole, #1) by Robert Crais The Monkey’s Raincoat – Robert Crais– 3.5***
This is a great detective story that reminds me of the old-fashioned noir tales by Chandler. I was hooked from the beginning and interested throughout. Will definitely read more of this series.
Full Review HERE

message 35: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments The Red Leather Diary Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal by Lily Koppel The Red Leather Diary – Lili Koppel – 4****
Lily Koppel was a young (age 22) writer working at the New York Times when she discovered an old red leather diary. It had originally been given to Florence Wolfson for her 14th birthday – Aug 11, 1929, and Florence dutifully wrote in it every day for the five years allowed on its pages. The diary did more than offer a fascinating glimpse into the past. As Lily read the young Florence’s record of her hopes, dreams, heartbreaks and triumphs, she discovered something about herself. And then Koppel went searching for Florence…
Full Review HERE

message 36: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Listened to Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Listening to A Thousand Boy Kisses by Tillie Cole Atlantis Rising (Warriors of Poseidon, #1) by Alyssa Day
To Listen to: Tempting Boundaries (Montgomery Ink, #2) by Carrie Ann Ryan

message 37: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Up to This Pointe by Jennifer Longo Up To This Pointe – Jennifer Longo – 2**
When her life-long plan to be a ballerina with the San Francisco Ballet goes awry, 17-year-old Harper Scott finagles a way to go to Antarctica for six months as a research assistant. This story line is so ridiculous that I made myself dizzy rolling my eyes. On the plus side, Harper does mature (a little) over the course of the novel, and while she makes some foolish mistakes she does eventually learn some important lessons.
LINK to My Review

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan Saving Fish From Drowning – Amy Tan – 3***
Twelve American tourists join an art expedition that begins in the Himalayan foothills of China and heads south into the jungles of Burma. And then, on Christmas morning, eleven of the travelers boat across a misty lake for a sunrise cruise – and disappear. I like Tan’s writing. She has the ability to plop me right into the middle of a completely different culture. This story has some elements of magical realism. Tan deftly explores the ways in which American tourists make “innocent” mistakes that have significant consequences. At 474 pages, this is longer than it needs to be. Still, I enjoyed it and was entertained throughout.
LINK to my review

message 39: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey Make Way For Ducklings – Robert McCloskey – 5***** and a ❤
Mr and Mrs Mallard search for a good home in which to raise their brood. This is a perennial favorite for children and their parents. Oh, how I loved the story of how Policeman Michael and the other people ensured the safety of Mrs Mallard and her brood: Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack and Quack, as they crossed busy streets, waddled past coffee shops and book stores, and finally made their way to the Public Gardens, for a reunion with Mr Mallard who waited patiently on the little island in the pond. It’s an absolute delight to revisit this story and I marvel at the wonderfully detailed illustrations.
LINK to my review

Caly ☯ Crazy Book Lady Read: The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James Dashner

Reading: Feynard by Marc Secchia

Next: A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab

message 41: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Read A Thousand Boy Kisses by Tillie Cole
Reading The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey
To Read: hmmmmm

message 42: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments The Girl Who Played Go by Shan Sa The Girl Who Played Go – Shan Sa – 4****
Set in Manchuria circa 1931, the novel is told in alternating points of view: a 16-year-old Chinese girl who has mastered the game of go, and a Japanese soldier in disguise to challenges her to a game. I’m glad that Shan Sa included footnotes on the Japanese and Chinese history, because my own education in this is woefully lacking. What really shines in the novel, however, is how the characters come to life. . I was engrossed in their lives, and completely stunned by the ending.
LINK to my review

message 43: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Mrs. Mike (Mrs. Mike, #1) by Benedict Freedman Mrs. Mike – Benjamin and Nancy Freedman – 4****
This is a novel, but it is based on the real life story of Katherine Mary O’Fallon. It’s a great adventure story, love story, and pioneer story. The young couple endure several misadventures and tragedies, including wildfires, floods, and epidemics of diphtheria and influenza. It is their deep love for one another that sees them through, as well as their willingness to understand the cultural mores of the Indians and adapt to, or at least tolerate, their differences.
LINK to my review

message 44: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Emily and Einstein by Linda Francis Lee Emily and Einstein – Linda Francis Lee – 3***
Alexander “Sandy” Portman dies in a tragic accident, but comes back as an old dog, which his widow, Emily, adopts and names Einstein. Interesting premise, mediocre execution. Much of the drama was over-the-top ridiculous, including the tortured memories and soul-searching. On the plus side, it was an entertaining and quick read. I was captured by the story and enjoyed it as a kind of break from more serious reading.
LINK to my review

message 45: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins Even Cowgirls Get the Blues – Tom Robbins – 2**
Entertained as I was by the occasional wild description and laugh-out-loud moment, however, in general I was bored by the book. All those interludes to wax poetic about this or that philosophy seemed nothing but an attempt to distract the reader from the lack of a story. Clearly, Robbins is not the writer for me.
LINK to my review

message 46: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Signs and Wonders by Philip Gulley Signs and Wonders – Philip Gulley – 3***
Book three in the Harmony series looks at a year in the life of the Quaker community’s residents. I just love this series. Each book gives us a glimpse of all the good – and not so good – in human nature, but with the hope that the good will outweigh the bad. They are a perfect break from the stresses of life, and a reminder that there is much good in this world.
LINK to my review

message 47: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Nov 23, 2016 07:54PM) (new)

Listened to: The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2) by Elizabeth Hoyt The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin Listening to A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles #1) by Amanda Bouchet To Listen to: The Score (Off-Campus, #3) by Elle Kennedy

message 48: by Theo (new)

Theo | 1766 comments Read: Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1) by Stephanie Barron Allergic to the Great Wall, the Forbidden Palace, and Other Tourist Attractions (Alvin Ho, #6) by Lenore Look
Reading: That Time I Joined the Circus by J.J. Howard Sense & Sensibility (The Austen Project, #1) by Joanna Trollope
Next: Once (Once, #1) by Morris Gleitzman The River (Brian's Saga, #2) by Gary Paulsen

message 49: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Homemade Sin (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #3) by Kathy Hogan Trocheck Homemade Sin – Kathy Hogan Trochek – 3***
This is a pretty good series. I like the premise of the House Mouse cleaning service for these cozy mysteries; Trochek gives the reader a nice cast of colorful supporting characters who work for the heroine. Callahan Garrity is a strong, intelligent, resourceful woman. It’s a speedy read, the action is fast-paced, and I like the characters. I’ll read more of the series.
LINK to my review

message 50: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Listened to Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1) by Shelly Laurenston A Promise of Fire (Kingmaker Chronicles #1) by Amanda Bouchet
Now listening to It Happened One Wedding (FBI/US Attorney, #5) by Julie James The Devil's Bedpost by Lena Hart . Hoping to finish this series
Next up is Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult If Only (Masters of the Shadowlands, #8) by Cherise Sinclair

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.