What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > historical fiction, slave girl, ancient Rome, roman soldier

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 4 comments My mom read this book in the 60's. It was about a girl named Phoebe and her mother. (Or the mother could've been Phoebe. One of them was and the other name is forgotten.) They lived as slaves who did weaving on a Roman officer's property in what is now England, where the Roman Empire had reached. The Roman soldier may have had a romance with the mother. The girl may have been their love child. My mom was so young when she read the book that she didn't understand everything happening. There was possibly another man in the story too who wanted to free the daughter from slavery.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34466 comments Mod
Cathy, is this Christian fiction?

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg Tatum | 28 comments May not be it, but it is about a Roman soldier in Britain. To Spare the Conquered by Stephanie Plowman or something else by her? Apparently she wrote several historical fiction books around the right time. Not sure Goodreads lists all her books.

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 4 comments Kris wrote: "Cathy, is this Christian fiction?"

I don't think so, but I wouldn't rule it out

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 4 comments Greg wrote: "May not be it, but it is about a Roman soldier in Britain. To Spare the Conquered by Stephanie Plowman or something else by her? Apparently she wrote several historica..."

Doesn't look like it but nice try :/

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
Cathy, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 4 comments Still looking

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

To Spare the Conquered (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephanie Plowman (other topics)