Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Lost my kitty today...

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments Today, my husband and I said goodbye to one of our cats. He was almost 18 years old so he had a good life, but it was still really hard to say goodbye. He went down hill really quickly, like in three days. He wouldn't eat or drink. His mouth looked like it was hurting him. We took him to the vet. He had an infection in his mouth and his kidneys had shut down.

message 2: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I'm so sorry to hear that. It's so hard to lose a pet. I'm glad he lived a long life and wasn't suffering long but I know that doesn't really help. :(

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments So sorry to hear this. Our pets are members of the family, and to lose one is so hard, especially one who has been with you for 18 years. I'm thinking of you and your family.

message 4: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Oh no! I'm so sorry, Jenni-Elyse! I am crying. :'(

It is just over one year since I lost one of mine, as well, so that's probably also contributing to the tears.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I'm so sorry to hear that Jenni. The same thing happened to one of our cats a few years ago. :-(

message 6: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments I'm doing an art quilts of our orange tiger who we lost at about 18 years of age several years ago. He was our last cat. We still hear him coming when we open a can of tuna! May you always have those sweet memories.

message 7: by Charlie (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 393 comments I'm sorry for your loss. I lost two of my dogs a few years back within a span of 5 months (one unexpected, the other expected)...I was very sad for a long time. I've always like the Dr. Seuss quote "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” That said, I cried like a baby for both. In my thoughts.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary B | 105 comments I'm so sorry. Pets really are part of the family. I tell my cat that she isn't allowed to die every day. So far she's listened.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing pets is really hard. Thinking of you

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8292 comments Our hearts are with you. Anyone who has been through this knows the poignancy of this moment. Sending you love, Amy

message 11: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2090 comments So sorry, Jenni. My heart knows exactly what you are feeling. Hugs.

message 12: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5506 comments Jenni, I am so sorry to hear that. We lost our Willie a few weeks ago.

It is never easy. :(

message 13: by Elise (last edited Oct 15, 2016 08:23AM) (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments I'm so sorry for your loss, Jenni. Sounds like he had a long and happy life, and he didn't suffer long in the end.

You have other cats? I hope they don't pine for too long. One of the most difficult things when we lost my cat five years ago was that the younger one, who was only six at the time, went around the house for a long time, meowing because he couldn't find his big brother anywhere :(

message 14: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1476 comments sadness. HUGS

message 15: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Oh no! Hugs and pawhugs for you, Jenni! Even thinking about losing my previous pets makes me cry. Find a nice frame for a good picture of your kitty, it sounds like he had a great long life to be celebrated.

message 16: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1441 comments I'm so sorry Jenni. Sending you hugs. I still miss my cat that died 6 years ago. We did get another cat a year later and she now rules the house :-).

message 17: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Charlie wrote: ""Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” "

And just that quote is bringing tears to my eyes...

message 18: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Booknblues wrote: "Jenni, I am so sorry to hear that. We lost our Willie a few weeks ago.

It is never easy. :("

BnB, my condolences to you, as well.

message 19: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Joi wrote: "Find a nice frame for a good picture of your kitty, it sounds like he had a great long life to be celebrated...."

Years ago, before digital cameras, etc. I found it was nice to make a scrapbook from my kitty at the time. More recently, with last year's loss, I made a photobook of him; I also added in text of memories of him. I will likely do photobooks for my other kitties when they go, as well.

message 20: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5506 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Booknblues wrote: "Jenni, I am so sorry to hear that. We lost our Willie a few weeks ago.

It is never easy. :("

BnB, my condolences to you, as well."

Thanks Cin, Willie has had a nasal issue for several years that the vets were not able to resolve. His nose was always runny and stuffy, but he was such a trooper about it and stayed happy, but he lost so much weight because of it, that it seemed a blessing. Like the cat someone had mentioned above he never got over missing his buddy Nelson. We think they are together again.

Strangely two weeks before somebody had dumped a 7 week old kitten on the busy street behind our house and we rescued her. We found her hiding in the rosemary bushes and named her Rosie.

Still we find ourselves saying "oh Willie loved this or Willie loved that.

message 21: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments BnB, it sounds like Willie was very special. I'm sorry he's no longer with you- I'm thinking of you, too.

message 22: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments Thank you all so much. I appreciate the condolences.

We do have other kitties. One will be sad for a while because they were really close. The other two will miss him but I think they won't be sad as long.

I've been through this before. We lost another kitty almost 4 years ago. It's always hard. But at least Tigger will have Cassie to greet him on the other side.

message 23: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments BnB, I'm so sorry for your loss too. Hugs.

message 24: by Booknblues (last edited Oct 15, 2016 11:06AM) (new)

Booknblues | 5506 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "BnB, I'm so sorry for your loss too. Hugs."

Thank you and Tracy as well..

message 25: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments So sorry for both of your losses.
I had to put down my cat of 19 years a couple years ago and there is still a small hole in my heart --- I had lived with her for more years than any other living thing!!

message 26: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6926 comments I'm sorry to hear this.

message 27: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Booknblues wrote: "Still we find ourselves saying "oh Willie loved this or Willie loved that...."

That will probably happen for a while.

Ah, you already have another you've taken in. Hopefully she can help ease the pain a bit.

message 28: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 410 comments Pets are such an integral part of the family. I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to loose a pet.

message 29: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5641 comments Oh, Jenni .... I'm so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing, though, giving him a peaceful end to a long and happy life.

message 30: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm sorry for your loss. I lost two of my dogs a few years back within a span of 5 months (one unexpected, the other expected)...I was very sad for a long time. I've always like the Dr. Seuss quote..."

We lost both of our dogs to cancer 2 months apart this summer. it's tough when they pass so closely to each other. We recently took in a foster dog.

message 31: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Jenni, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. It never gets easier.

message 32: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments I'm so to hear about your dogs' passing, Denizen. Hugs to you too.

message 33: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4916 comments So sorry to hear about that, it's always hard to lose a pet.

message 34: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6277 comments So, so sorry to see this very sad news, Jenni. My heart goes out to you. xoxo