Aussie Readers discussion

The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1)
This topic is about The Dry
Individual Book Discussions > The Dry - Jane Harper

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda | 70447 comments Mod
There are a lot of us who have read this book - feel free to join in the discussion about it.

An amazing debut novel by an upcoming Aussie author in my opinion!

message 2: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phrynne | 11661 comments Mod
I thought it was outstanding for a debut novel as well and I hope the author can keep up the quality in future books (no pressure there!)
Is this the first of a series or not? I could easily read more about Aaron Falk.

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

I certainly hope so! When I wrote my review I think I said that - or maybe I just thought it!

Diana (secondhandrose) | 1638 comments I'm reading it right now and finding it gripping. Unfortunately working full time I have to cram in reading at lunch and at night but hope to be through it by the weekend.

message 5: by Li'l Owl (last edited Oct 18, 2017 10:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Yep! There is indeed a sequel Diana!
Force of Nature
Force of Nature (Aaron Falk, #2) by Jane Harper

Coming out in February, 2018

message 6: by Ace (last edited Oct 24, 2017 04:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace (aceonroam) I wasn't able to get this on Overdrive so i finally wrote to the Brisbane library asking them to buy it pointing out that its an Aussie author, internationally popular, high ratings on GR etc, etc.

They sent me a response saying its available on BoomBox BorrowBox with instructions to install.

Well now I can borrow so many more books and already have The Dry on loan and many others on hold. I'm in book heaven now!

Kathryn | 3503 comments Ace wrote: "They sent me a response saying its available on BoomBox...."

Is that Borrowbox, Ace? I was trying to work out what BoomBox was and why I'd never heard of it in the BCC library system and then realised what you meant!!

I always use the BCC library catalogue to check for my books - otherwise you have to check both Overdrive and Bolinda (which is what the Borrowbox app is for) and it's double the work! If you use the BCC library catalogue and the book is available on either site, it will be listed with a link to the relevant site.

message 8: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace (aceonroam) Haha yes. I'm sorry about confusing you.
Thanks for the tip. The instructions did say to click on the icon for BorrowBox but I didn't know what it meant. I'll use the main catalogue from now on.
What surprised me most was that since I had maxed out my loans on Overdrive I thought it wouldn't let me take more out but I think I can get 5 books and 10 audio over and above what I have on Overdrive.

Anyway, back to The Dry, I'll be starting in in a couple of days. Looking forward to being a bit creeped out, as if the Aussie outback bush isn't already scary enough!!

message 9: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Maddox (sarahmaddox) | 42 comments The Dry sounds intriguing. Thanks for the heads up! A point of interest: Goodreads lists the price on Kindle as $12.99, which is a little too steep for me. I clicked through anyway, and found it's listed as $7.84 on Amazon. I wonder why the discrepancy?

Kerri | 373 comments Ace I was wondering what Boombox was too, glad you clarified, I thought I was missing out on something.
I really enjoyed The Dry, it's probably one of the best debut novels I've come across. I will definitely be reading the author's second novel when it comes out, hopefully it'll be a group read?

Diana (secondhandrose) | 1638 comments I finished this book today. I really enjoyed it and thought it was a cracking debut. I grew up in country towns and could relate to some of the menace and small mindedness. The bush can be beautiful but there is some foreboding that can be felt. I didn't guess whodunnit straight away and felt it was all plausible. I don't expect to get onto the second book for awhile but I'm sure it will be good.

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm saving the next for next year Diana :) I'm looking forward to it though! And I agree - this one sure is a cracking debut!

message 13: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace (aceonroam) Kerri wrote: "Ace I was wondering what Boombox was too, ..."

I think its something stuck in my head from the 80s lol

message 14: by Li'l Owl (last edited Oct 22, 2017 10:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Sarah wrote: "The Dry sounds intriguing. Thanks for the heads up! A point of interest: Goodreads lists the price on Kindle as $12.99, which is a little too steep for me. I clicked through anyway,..."

I've never been able to figure it out, Sarah! It's the same thing with book prices between different countries. Example. Sometimes books that are a good deal on Amazon Kindle US are not in AU and vise versa. =o)

marlin1 | 401 comments I have just finished her 2nd novel Force of Nature as an audiobook and thought it worth 5 stars!
Loved her first one too.

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments marlin1 wrote: "I have just finished her 2nd novel Force of Nature as an audiobook and thought it worth 5 stars!
Loved her first one too."

That's great to hear, Marlin! Glad you enjoyed it! =o)

Cherie (crobins0) I just finished The Dry yesterday. I thought it was completely captivating. I read it in two long sessions because I could not put it down the second time. I loved the way the two parts of the story were presented and the way their thoughts were done in italics. I am looking forward to reading the 2nd book, Force of Nature, if my library can get it.

message 18: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

It's a fabulous debut isn't it Cherie :) I too am looking forward to book 2 :)

Andrea | 1678 comments One of my US friends just reviewed this book (she loved it too, 5 stars) but I had a chuckle when I saw in her review, The other bit I really loved was perfect amount of Australianisms used in the dialogue. It isn't overdone but it's done just enough that you can't forget where the story is set.

But it’s been on my mind all day and I don’t think it’s funny any more. Maybe she didn’t realise that the author is actually Australian? Personally I don’t think any Australian authors use Australianisms - it’s just authentic writing. I have heard of authors having to change their language to appeal to a US audience, so I wonder if this phenomenon has now become an expectation?

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

It annoys me immensely when Aussie authors write "American" when the book is set in AU. They don't write "Australian" for us!!!

Heather I'm new to the group and Aussie authors, but I'm loving The Dry. It is written in such a way that when you really get involved you can almost hear eerie music in the background as you read. It is also triggering memories of when I was living in Australia, years ago, like the spiders.....oh eek! I'm so glad we don't have those where I live now.

I already have the second book on hand to read Force of Nature.

So many books, so little time!

message 22: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glad you're enjoying it Heather. A brilliant debut in my opinion :)

Heather But, but the ending! The bad guy gets away with it!?

message 24: by Tim (last edited Aug 10, 2018 08:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tim | 39 comments (spoilers below - skip if haven't read)

Heather wrote: "But, but the ending! The bad guy gets away with it!?"

I was a bit disappointed with the ending too, Heather. Not so much the bad guy getting away with it, but the fact that the two murders weren't connected somehow (which would have been much more satisfying).

Amazing start and middle though.

message 25: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

No spoilers please guys!!!!!

Heather Sorry, i thought that since the thread so months old that some one could sympathize with me. Great read!

message 27: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

There are still lots of people who haven't read it Heather..just enclose your comments in the spoiler brackets and it's fine 😊

message 28: by Joss (new) - added it

Joss (jossdi) | 78 comments this was outstanding book of the year when I read it. I loved the ordinary-ness of the setting and it was one that I could relate too. I got my partner to read it too, but she thought it was ok, not great.

The storyline sat easily for me and I finished the entire book very quickly and can't wait for more books by this author

Icewineanne | 243 comments Joss wrote: "this was outstanding book of the year when I read it. I loved the ordinary-ness of the setting and it was one that I could relate too. I got my partner to read it too, but she thought it was ok, no..."

I’m with your partner Joss, it was just an ‘ok’ read for me......pleasant but nothing overly memorable.

message 30: by Joss (new) - added it

Joss (jossdi) | 78 comments Icewineanne wrote: "Joss wrote: "this was outstanding book of the year when I read it. I loved the ordinary-ness of the setting and it was one that I could relate too. I got my partner to read it too, but she thought ..."

Funny isn't it? I loved the descriptive writing and the characters became very real for me. I want to read more of her books, smile

message 31: by Wild (new) - added it

Wild (wildchook) I really loved the dry & being an Aussie country girl, could really relate to the whole small town setting. Had me guessing for a little bit but towards the end it kinda became obvious. Still was a very enjoyable read & I just bought the next one.

message 32: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim (kimborams) | 604 comments I've just been notified by Sky here in the UK that a film version is being premiered on Sky Movies on 6 August. Can't wait to see what they've done with it!!

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1678 comments Kim wrote: "I've just been notified by Sky here in the UK that a film version is being premiered on Sky Movies on 6 August. Can't wait to see what they've done with it!!"

Is that the one with Eric Bana? I think it came out here a while ago but with Covid I actually have no idea if it did end up releasing! Hopefully it's a fair adaptation!

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes it did release Krystal :) And I hope you enjoy it Kim!!