Play Book Tag discussion

October 2016: Historical Fiction > Jeremy Poldark (Poldark #3) - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Oct 14, 2016 04:35PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2283 comments Jeremy Poldark
Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3) by Winston Graham

My husband and I have recently binged-watched the Masterpiece Theatre production of Poldark. I thought I might like to read the book with the lovely Aiden Turner in my head as Ross Poldark and the beautiful Eleanor Tominson as Demelza as my visual as I read. Since this month was Historical Fiction, it fit! However, I ended up borrowing this #3 in the series. That turned out to be just fine since the first 2 of the series were covered in season 1 and this book started up where that left off.

I had never read the Poldark series so I didn't know the author or his style. The book was satisfying and well written with lots of atmosphere but the description of Demelza was quite opposite for who is described as dark-haired. That's a minor thing, certainly, but I had a hard time keeping the actors in my vision - darn - but the scenery really helped!

Ross is on trial for the wreckage and pillaging of two ships that come against the rocks at the cove on Ross's property. It's a tense scene very well done. I will be interested in seeing how Season 2 covers this part of the story. I'm almost sorry I know what will happen. :-(

message 2: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments We're enjoying the Poldark series as well. I've toyed with reading the books. I know I read the first one when the last PBS Poldark series ran. I read a second book but can't remember which one it was. That was way back before interlibrary loan and you read what your library had.

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7301 comments Glad you liked it. Bear in mind, though, that when you read the first one the Demelza in the book was not a redhead. Drove me crazy when I read it after seeing the first pbs production of Poldark (I've heard this new one is excellent.)

message 4: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2283 comments Karin wrote: "Glad you liked it. Bear in mind, though, that when you read the first one the Demelza in the book was not a redhead. Drove me crazy when I read it after seeing the first pbs production of Poldark (..."

I noticed that about Demelza's hair even in this 3rd volume. The new one is wonderful and Demelza has red hair in this one too - the actress is really great.

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7301 comments Barbara wrote: "I noticed that about Demelza's hair even in this 3rd volume. The new one is wonderful and Demelza has red hair in this one too - the actress is really great."

I've heard. I strongly suspect they kept red hair for all of us who watched the older one, but certainly have no evidence that that is so.

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6180 comments Sort of like changing Dorothy's silver slippers (in the book) to ruby slippers (for technicolor movie)....

message 7: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7301 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Sort of like changing Dorothy's silver slippers (in the book) to ruby slippers (for technicolor movie)...."

Yes, sort of vaguely the same :)