Play Book Tag discussion

A Few Fair Days
This topic is about A Few Fair Days
October 2016: Historical Fiction > A Few Fair Days / Jane Gardam - 4****

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5808 comments A Few Fair Days by Jane Gardam
A Few Fair Days – Jane Gardam
4****

Lucy is a young girl living in a small, seaside town in Yorkshire, in the years between the wars. She has a best friend, Mary, who joins her on various adventures, though they are sometimes accompanied by Lucy’s little brother, Jake. And she has many aunts to alternately indulge, entertain and scold her.

This is a charming collection of stories about childhood, and reminds this reader of our greatest and most valuable plaything – imagination. I loved how they played pirates, explored the abandoned estate next door (venturing all the way up to the attic, when her mother thought they were only in the garden), or searched the seashore for “treasure.” And my favorite mishap has to be the trip to buy a special cake, which is to be a parting gift for a guest. I laughed aloud at that one!

This was Gardam’s first published work, and I’m so glad that she’s written many more since.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6433 comments Is this book targeted toward adults even though it is about childhood? Or more of a YA read? Another author I am unfamiliar with . . .

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5808 comments To be honest, Anita, I'm not sure. It's not in the AR Bookfinder data base as a children's book, but I think older children (12+ could easily handle it). I think it was written before there was a clearly defined "young adult" market.

Gardam is more popular in the UK than in USA. I was introduced to her writing by a member of my F2F book club. We read The Man in the Wooden Hat and I followed that up with Old Filth. Her books are fairly short, but really well-written.