Christian Ladies Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Scarlet Thread > Chapter 8 discussion question

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
In Chapter 8 Sierra tries reconnecting with Alex and tells him she loves him. She even says it in spanish to make it more personal but he doesn't even say it back. Do you think he still loves Sierra, or do you think things have been so crazy and messed up between them that he's confused right now?

message 2: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
I don't know for sure of course but I have a bad feeling Alex is having an affair with someone else. I think he loves Sierra but there's this big wall between him and Sierra and there is no communication. They are so disconnected right now that they might as well be roommates instead of husband and wife.

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I agree. This is clearly where this is leading. The description of Elizabeth, Audra's warning, he clearly didn't want her to go to Las Vegas with him, and then instead of reassuring her that he loved her, he states "You've always driven me crazy, Sierra." That is not a good sign.
I will not say that "he's confused." People who are purposefully separating themselves from their spouse and/or have affairs are not confused and they don't just make a mistake. This is a blatant cruel act in my opinion. Alex is choosing to be gone all the time. He is choosing to get caught up in his new surroundings, success, money, and position. So I will not give him the benefit of the doubt by just saying he is confused.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Esparza | 119 comments Unfortunately, I don't think that Alex still loves Sierra. I am a strong believer in "actions speak louder than words". He does not act in any way that he loves her nor does he say it. I think that Alex did love Sierra, but then got so self involved that his love for her dwindled overtime. Now his love is tangled in his career, success, and money. At this point I even doubt his love for his children.
Auntie Darlene brought up one of the thoughts I had. When Sierra was putting herself out there (which I can only imagine how hard that was for her to do), Alex responded with "You've always driven me crazy." I take that as, "You're sexy, I've always been attracted to you." Why did he even respond in this way??? Because he wanted to get some! Poor Sierra wanted to make passionate love with her husband and what does he want? Just sex. Lame!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.