Memoir Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General > Do you want reviews for your book?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Memoir authors, I encourage all of you to join in the Round Robin review exchange if you want to get more reviews for your book!
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

All you need to do in order to join is purchase another member's book (the last one on the list) and yours will be added to the list for the next person to buy. You review the book on Amazon and Goodreads when you are done reading it.

It is working really well so far. I already have 4 new reviews on my book from this program! However, we need more members to take part so that the same authors don't buy each other's books as we don't want to end up with reciprocal reviews.

What are you waiting for? Join in the fun now!

message 2: by T.R. (new)

T.R. Robinson (t_r_robinson) | 26 comments Is there a time limit for posting a review? I ask because demands upon my time mean it can sometimes take six to ten months for me to get through even the shortest of books.

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Boehm (beachmama7) | 86 comments If it's on MY book, I don't care how long it takes you to post your review. Just do it...PLEASE! I try to hard to get people who say the nicest things about my memoir to write a review. They often say they will, and then they "forget." Reviews are like blood to authors. They keep our spirits alive! Take as long as you need...but please do it!!! (BTW, my memoir is "Starting at Goodbye" available on Amazon for only $4.99 on your kindle app!!)

message 4: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments I'm guilty of taking a long time to read and review books too in my busy schedule. We suggest to try and do it within a month or two if possible. I think three would be a reasonable limit... six to ten months is a little excessive :-)

message 5: by T.R. (new)

T.R. Robinson (t_r_robinson) | 26 comments Leila wrote: "I'm guilty of taking a long time to read and review books too in my busy schedule. We suggest to try and do it within a month or two if possible. I think three would be a reasonable limit... six to..."

Yes six to ten months is a long time but that is often the way my life goes. I do always review but of course accept some may not wish to wait so long. Nevertheless, does it make much difference if there is no campaign or event to tie into.

message 6: by Anthony (last edited Jan 05, 2017 02:08AM) (new)

Anthony Stancomb (anthonystancombgmailcom) | 53 comments I'd say that an enormous delay like six months makes a complete nonsense of any group. I wouldn't advise anyone who can't read a book within a month to take part in any Goodreads group.
They can always review books outside the groups.

message 7: by T.R. (new)

T.R. Robinson (t_r_robinson) | 26 comments Anthony wrote: "I'd say that an enormous delay like six months makes a complete nonsense of any group. I wouldn't advise anyone who can't read a book within a month, to not take part in any Goodreads group.
They ..."

Exactly why I have not signed up to review books, as much as I would like to. I do however posts reviews after completing a book. Regrettably we do not all have the free time we would like.

message 8: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Boehm (beachmama7) | 86 comments I didn't realize we were talking about getting reviews from the Round Robin. I'd be happy to get reviews outside of the group, even if it took months for the person to do it. It's like riding a car backwards to get anyone to actually DO a review!!!

message 9: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Lang (ayrshireauthor) | 5 comments Hello guys, I am a memoir author. Does anyone in the group wish to read my memoir if I read theirs? I'm not wanting to commit to the Round Robin, as want to select what I read. My book is entitled Dislocation.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Shore (pshore) | 5 comments Hi Lucy. Your memoir sounds right up my alley. My new memoir will be released in March... UNCORKED - MY YEAR IN PROVENCE STUDYING PÉTANQUE, DISCOVERING CHAGALL, DRINKING PASTIS, AND MANGLING FRENCH.

message 11: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Boehm (beachmama7) | 86 comments Lucy wrote: "Hello guys, I am a memoir author. Does anyone in the group wish to read my memoir if I read theirs? I'm not wanting to commit to the Round Robin, as want to select what I read. My book is entitled ...
Hi Lucy--
I might be interested. Check out my memoir, "Starting at Goodbye." The similarity is that I was a caregiver for my husband who got brain cancer. We also traveled to Africa, among other continents. We had a crazy relationship with going back and forth many times. It also deals with alcoholism and recovery.
Please let me know if you're interested. Yours sounds good.
Marilyn Boehm

message 12: by Wanjiru (new)

Wanjiru Warama (wanjiruwarama) | 25 comments I'm a memoir author (Unexpected America) but my life is in total disarray. In between training to become a better writer, writing, social media dashes, and juggling a million things, I find it hard to read other author's books. I have bought eight and have yet to read one. I hope to get better organized in 2017. Meantime, if anyone wants to check on my book, you are welcome. https://amazon.com/dp/B01M31HSZ0/

message 13: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Lang (ayrshireauthor) | 5 comments Hi Marilyn, Like the look of your book, but believe you are already part of the Non-Fiction book group. All he best, Lucy

message 14: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Boehm (beachmama7) | 86 comments Hi Lucy--
If I'm a member of the "Non-Fiction book group," I'm the LAST to know about it! Where did you get that info?
My book is a memoir, and the only group to which I belong on Goodreads is the memoir group.
Are you interested in reading it or not? If not, well, okay!
Marilyn

message 15: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Farley (goodreadscomLynne_Farley) | 5 comments I would like to be a part of this book exchange. Could somebody please fill me in on what to do because I really need some reviews on my book. Thank you

message 16: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Boehm (beachmama7) | 86 comments Lynne--Please give us a brief description of what your book is about. Then, if someone thinks they might be interested in reading and reviewing it, they'll let you know. In exchange, please check out their book to see if you want to read and review theirs. It's quite simple!
We are all interested in getting more reviews for our books to increase awareness among other readers so that they'll read your book too.

message 17: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Farley (goodreadscomLynne_Farley) | 5 comments I just checked and my book isn't among the books about abuse. How do I add it?

message 18: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Farley (goodreadscomLynne_Farley) | 5 comments My Memoir is a true story based on living in an abusive relationship. It tells in detail how I was victimized through lies and deceit and the effects it had on myself and my family. I hope it will bring awareness to other victims to save them from living in the same nightmare.

message 19: by Isana (new)

Isana Isana | 17 comments Lynne wrote: "My Memoir is a true story based on living in an abusive relationship. It tells in detail how I was victimized through lies and deceit and the effects it had on myself and my family. I hope it will ..."

Hi Lynne - My book is my memoir of struggling to find myself after growing up with abuse on many levels. As I moved into adulthood, I continued to choose unhealthy and abusive relationships which cost me dearly. It is a very honest account of my experiences, written to give hope and inspiration to those who have gone through similar experiences.
I would be glad to read and review yours if you choose to do the same for mine.

message 20: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Hi Everyone,
Just a note about the Round Robin review exchange. There are always 2 different books to choose from. Why it works well is that it is a verified purchase review and also not a direct swap with another author. This relieves you of feeling compelled to give the other author a good review if they gave your book a good review. It is also in line with Amazon's TOCs which do not allow direct review swaps. So do head on over there periodically and see if you like any of the books up for review as they change regularly and grab one when you find one you like. Your book will then be next in line for review.
Kindest,
Leila

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen Trollope-Kumar | 7 comments Hello,
I have just completed Isana's book "Unfinished: A Personal Journey of Healing, Self-Discovery and Resilience. It was a powerful memoir, heart-wrneching at times. I have posted a review on Goodreads and on Amazon.ca, and will also post on Amazon.com

message 22: by Marian (new)

Marian Armstrong | 49 comments Um, I just joined. Where do I "head over to" to find books I might want to read and review?

Marian Armstrong Rogers (or just Marian).

message 23: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Marian wrote: "Um, I just joined. Where do I "head over to" to find books I might want to read and review?..."

Hi Marian,
I just saw your post now, sorry. You go to the round robin thread and scroll to the latest message to find which 2 books are currently available for review. If you like the look of one of them, you purchase it and can then add your book to the list.
Kindest,
Leila

message 24: by Lonna (new)

Lonna Cottrell-Thompson | 11 comments I'm in desperate need of reviews on by Goodreads and Amazon of my quirky, off-beat, and insightful memoir, Everyday Is Like Sunday. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1520361483/... The synopsis is:
After graduating high school in the early 1990s, Lonna finds herself trapped at her parents’ home in a tiny, muskrat-ridden, New Jersey town, enduring community college, cutting her split ends, and hoping for near death. All the while, an ominous black cloud and an obsessive best friend stalk her. Unlike her ex-boyfriend, she opts against a restraining order (although every second, she questions this decision). Having recently sworn off all men, Andy enters Lonna’s chemistry class and lures her in with rubber gloves, lyrics from The Smiths, and the particles of life that radiate from his being. What happens next makes it hard for her to believe that her existence is not cursed. Destiny, coincidence, or a lesson in statistics—life has a sick sense of humor.

message 25: by Marian (last edited Apr 21, 2017 02:27PM) (new)

Marian Armstrong | 49 comments Leila,
I just purchased a paperback copy of Starting at Goodbye, by Marilyn -- Bohm? Not sure of last name, but it's the right book.

So-- my book is Astonishments: Stories as True as Memory, by Marian Armstrong Rogers (I insert my maiden name.) I hope this is the right place (the Round Robin group), to give this information. Never am sure (alas).
Both men and women seem to like my memoir, so I'm hoping one of you will read it as soon as I post the review for Marilyn. I'm looking forward to her book.(Lord, it's hard to get reviews!)
Thanks,
Marian
By the way, I've yet to get a response from what I posted here when I joined. ???

message 26: by Leila (last edited May 09, 2017 08:37AM) (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Hi Marian,
Sorry I just saw this post now. This is not the round robin thread! Marilyn's memoir was already snapped up on the round robin by Susan on April 18th. Sorry you missed out! If you purchase one of the latest available books from the round robin, you must post that you have done so on the thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... so that we can then add your book as available for next in review. Hope to see you there soon!
Great to have you as part of the group.
Kindest,
Leila

message 27: by Marian (new)

Marian Armstrong | 49 comments Leila wrote: "Hi Marian,
Sorry I just saw this post now. This is not the round robin thread! Marilyn's memoir was already snapped up on the round robin by Susan on April 18th. Sorry you missed out! If you purcha..."

That's ok. Will join round robin. Now reading Marilyn book and enjoying it. Will review it anyway, of course. Thanks, too for link to RR.
Best,
Marian

message 28: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Boehm (beachmama7) | 86 comments Hi Marian--
Glad to hear you're enjoying my book! Looking forward to your review once you're done. Enjoy!
Marilyn

message 29: by Brenda (last edited May 22, 2017 05:39AM) (new)

Brenda Mohammed (brenchris) | 15 comments Just purchased Sweet Melissa: Behind Bars (Book Three 3)[Kindle Edition]
By: Susan Segovia-Munoz
Sold By: Amazon Digital Services LLC

I have posted this and my book for review on the review page.
My memoir is "Retirement is Fun: A New Chapter." which is on Amazon and Goodreads.

Retirement is fun by Brenda Mohammed Retirement is fun by Brenda Mohammed

Here is the Book Description:
Travel the world, have fun, enjoy life, and grasp opportunities as they fall in your path.
In her book Retirement is Fun - A New Chapter, which is a sequel to her autobiography My Life as a Banker - A Life Worth Living, Brenda describes her many wonderful experiences at the end of her banking career.
Is your life over when you retire?
Brenda dispels that fear.
She proves that retirement is a time to enjoy life.
Despite facing many challenges such as cancer, deaths of loved ones, and an accident, which made her realize that life is very short, she triumphantly moves on to accomplish more.
After her banking career, she landed a new job in an Insurance company and had numerous travel opportunities.
She increased her skills in areas she never thought possible.
Brenda Mohammed has surely proven that when she retired from her first job she definitely did not retire from life.
For her, Retirement is indeed fun and she has written about her fun experiences in this personal memoir on Retirement.
Retirement is Fun: A new Chapter was a nominee in the Metamorph's Publishing Summer Indie Book Awards 2016 in the category Bio/Memoirs.
This is a book you would want to read.
Get it at Amazon Universal Link http://Author.to/BCM786

message 30: by Paz (new)

Paz Ellis | 22 comments Hello! Just completed Marian's memoir: Astonishments..
I have posted my review here on Goodreads and on Amazon.
Thank you, Marian!

message 31: by Lizbeth (new)

Lizbeth (goodreadscomlameredith) | 4 comments I like this idea. Is it still going on, and if so, whose book am I buying?

I'm wishing for reviews also. I wrote Pieces of Me:Rescuing My Kidnapped Daughters, a memoir. I'll see if this expired before I create a link, but fun idea! Thank you.

message 32: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Mohammed (brenchris) | 15 comments Lizbeth wrote: "I like this idea. Is it still going on, and if so, whose book am I buying?

I'm wishing for reviews also. I wrote Pieces of Me:Rescuing My Kidnapped Daughters, a memoir. I'll see if this expired be..."

Hi Lizbeth, Do you want to read my memoir, 'Retirement is Fun: A New Chapter" which is listed above?
Retirement is fun by Brenda Mohammed

message 33: by Marian (last edited May 23, 2017 08:50AM) (new)

Marian Armstrong | 49 comments Paz wrote: "Hello! Just completed Marian's memoir: Astonishments..
I have posted my review here on Goodreads and on Amazon.
Thank you, Marian!"

Paz, I found the review (Amazon for some reason didn't place it with 'most recent ones but beneath one written in 2016.) .Thank you so much. I love to read, and will read your book when time passes, so I can leave a review.

Marian

message 34: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Guys, this is NOT the round robin review swap thread! That can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Please follow the instructions carefully to join. Your book cannot be added unless you purchase one of the two available books.

message 35: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 770 comments Lizbeth wrote: "I like this idea. Is it still going on, and if so, whose book am I buying?..."

Hi Lizbeth,
We love to have you, you can join in the review swap on this thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Leila

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.