Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

About Sword & Sorcery > Horror and S&S

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 4 comments Interesting article/blog! Thanks for the link! :)

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard | 680 comments Thanks for the link.

message 3: by Seth (new)

Seth Skorkowsky | 15 comments Good article.
I wouldn't say that Horror is required for Sword & Sorcery. But like with Grimdark elements, Horror is a very common ingredient. If you were to compare S&S to Italian food, then Horror would be garlic. Yes, it's common, but hardly a requirement.
Then again, I've always preferred my fantasy with a strong dose of Horror, so it would make sense that S&S has always drawn my interest more than Epic fantasy.

message 4: by John (new)

John Meszaros | 16 comments I would agree that horror- or at least dread of the unknown- is a strong vein throughout much of sword and sorcery. I'd say it not even necessarily be supernatural or cosmic horror. The cruelty and callousness of normal human beings coupled with the indifference of the universe can be just as horrific. And that, I think, is one of the core features of sword and sorcery: characters fighting to survive against an uncaring world and the selfish cruelty of others. So yes, maybe S&S doesn't always have horror in the sense of ghost, vampires and cosmic horror. But there is horror, nevertheless.

message 5: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 426 comments John wrote: "I would agree that horror- or at least dread of the unknown- is a strong vein throughout much of sword and sorcery. I'd say it not even necessarily be supernatural or cosmic horror. The cruelty and..."

that's a good way of putting it!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 703 comments Howard considered the Conan stories to be taking place in the Cthuhlu universe.

message 7: by Dean (new)

Dean | 13 comments Thanks for the link! You could certainly make a case that you can't have s&s without horror, I think. The antagonist/antagonistic force has to be horrifying in an s&s story, or at least it seems that way to me.