Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

NINE BOOKS TO READ FOR LATINX HERITAGE MONTH

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2874 comments Mod
An interesting list of books that were/are recently being published (several are translated works) and I like that they are from small independent presses.

genres from poetry, to literary fiction, to sci-fi, and more

http://lithub.com/nine-books-to-read-...

September 15 through October 15 is Latinx Heritage Month, a time for celebrating the culture, lives, and achievements of Latinx people all across the Americas. The month begins on September 15th in honor of the anniversary of independence for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua; Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence shortly after, on September 16th and 18th.

message 2: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 4 comments As in ending tomorrow October 15th?

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 563 comments Beverly wrote: "An interesting list of books that were/are recently being published (several are translated works) and I like that they are from small independent presses.

genres from poetry, to literary fiction,..."

I like to think of myself as "up" on current titles of preference, but the term "LatinX" is new to me. Do you mind eduating? What is the "X" solving for and when should we be using LatinX vs. Latino/Latina?

message 4: by Haaze (new)

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2874 comments Mod
Haaze wrote: "As in ending tomorrow October 15th?"

Yes, I was late with this list of books.
Appeared in my inbox this morning.

message 6: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3727 comments Mod
Thanks, Beverly. I added almost every one of these books with the exception of San Juan Noir which is sitting here along with Rio Noir waiting to be read. I enjoy the Noir series.

I heard of LatinX for the first time about 2 weeks ago but never looked it up. Thanks Haaze for the def.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 563 comments Haaze wrote: "A gender neutral term.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/w..."

Thank you!

message 8: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 4 comments :)