Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1)
This topic is about Sarah, Plain and Tall
Sarah, Plain and Tall, by Patricia MacLachlan

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Sarah, Plain and Tall
Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

GR synopsis:
"Did Mama sing every day?" Caleb asks his sister Anna.

"Every-single-day," she answers. "Papa sang, too."

This Newbery Medal–winning book is the first of five books in Patricia MacLachlan's chapter book series about the Witting family. Set in the late nineteenth century and told from young Anna's point of view, Sarah, Plain and Tall tells the story of how Sarah Elisabeth Wheaton comes from Maine to the prairie to answer Papa's advertisement for a wife and mother. Before Sarah arrives, Anna and her younger brother Caleb wait and wonder. Will Sarah be nice? Will she sing? Will she stay?

This children's literature classic is perfect for fans of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House on the Prairie books, historical fiction, and timeless stories using rich and beautiful language. Sarah, Plain and Tall gently explores themes of abandonment, loss and love.

I am reading this quickly before I need to head to work. It is part of my 2016 Topic Discard Challenge, a Newbury Award winner. I loved this book as a child and I am enjoying revisiting it. It still makes me smile :)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Wonderful! Still great after so many years.

4/5

message 3: by Keri (new)

Keri I remember this when I was younger and then watching the movie. I love them both!!