Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Southern Festival of Books this weekend

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14610 comments This weekend I am excited to attend the Southern Festival of Books in Nashville, an October staple event since 1989.
I've attended all of them except for a couple of years when the festival was held in Memphis. I'll post about the authors i see later!

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments Ann wrote: "This weekend I am excited to attend the Southern Festival of Books in Nashville, an October staple event since 1989.
I've attended all of them except for a couple of years when the festival was he..."

sounds like fun, ann. can't wait to hear about it!

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Bring plenty of money.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14610 comments True that Dan ($)
John Hart first up. I'm currently reading his Redemption Road.

message 5: by Ann (last edited Oct 16, 2016 08:50AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14610 comments I think my favorite moment of the event will always be the opportunity to hear the authors speak about their work; second favorite moments are the signing lines where excited chatter about what makes an author special to each of us sprinkles around. As with any event the timing is a challenge to see as many panels as possible when some are right on top of each other and in different buildings.
John Hart was a treat to hear speak. He talked about the progression of characters between his books, not serial characters but types of life experiences. He talked about publishing and how it worked for him to quit his "day job" as a lawyer to write full time with the support of his family. He mentioned that his latest book took two years to write "not counting the year it too to restart it" he had begun this book with an idea for a plot and one of the characters surprised him and the focus of the book changed. As I am reading Redemption Road now I can attest to the character he followed and it is a good path.
I read his first two books years ago and need to go back and read The Last Child soon.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14610 comments John Hart said he resisted his publisher's type casting attempts as the next John Grisham or Scott Turlow when his first book The King of Lies was published. He said he couldn't out-Grisham Grisham or out-Turlow Turlow. His assertion to have different characters drive his next books rather than a similar mc works well for him.

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments sounds like a great experience, ann. i have redemption road on mt. TBR.

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments I read The King of Lies years ago. I definitely will add his others to my TBR list. Glad you were able to attend his panel!

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments Thanks, Ann, for the summary. Love author events. One of these days I'll sit down to write up my B-con notes.

I thought I had read King of Lies but the plot doesn't sound familiar. I do have Redemption Road on the library TBR.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14610 comments We will love to hear about your Bcon events when you have time Carol!
I am reading The Orphan Mother: A Novel, written by Robert Hicks; a favorite local historian and author. His was the main event my daughter and I attended on day two. The Widow of the South and A Separate Country are two of his previous books, both favorites.