What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Historical romance, 18th/19th century, widow, English spy, head injury

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (last edited Oct 18, 2016 06:45AM) (new)

Laura I need your help to find a book I read years ago. Parts of the book run through my head when I'm driving. I cannot remember the title or author. I am pretty sure it is not part of a series or by a super popular author. I borrowed it from the library and was not a "savor" of books like I am now.

I am looking for a book that took place in England during the 1700's or 1800's. A widow(I think) with kids, maybe 2, and a mother living with her in a brownstone finds a man outside near her stairs with a severe head injury. The woman comes to learn the man is a spy for England. As the man starts to get better, the spy and woman start to have sex which helps with the headaches he gets because of the head injury. For some reason the spy has to leave but I think he takes the family with him.

This is all I can remember. If anyone knows the title or author of this book I would so appreciate you telling me. I will look them up and see if the books match.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35179 comments Mod
Laura, what year did you read this book? I find "years ago" means different things to different people in this large group.

Is the heroine rich or titled/aristocratic?

Does her family live in London or a small English town? Is the hero a neighbor?

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura I read the book between 2005 and 2008 I think.

I do not believe the heroin was rich or titled Or an aristocratic. the hero was not a neighbour. I couldn't tell you at all if it took place in London I just remember someplace in England.

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments It might be The Arm and the Darkness by Taylor Caldwell. The Goodreads summary just mentions the historical setting, but this review here includes the young spy, the wound, etc. I read it so long ago I can't remember too many specifics, but it does start out with the injured man being helped by the woman.

message 5: by Laura (last edited Oct 16, 2016 07:01PM) (new)

Laura Thank you Michele but The Arm and the Darkness is not it. The heroine is a widow with children and a mother all living with her.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Laura, if you add plot details to your header you are more likely to catch the eye of someone who has read it and will immediately recognize your book.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura I don't know plot details

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Laura wrote: "I don't know plot details"

Laura, she just means adding any kind of details -- because "historical romance" is pretty vague :) So for example you could change the subject line to "Historical romance, 18th/19th century, widow, English spy, head injury"

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Thank you Michele. I took your suggestion and changed it.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Laura left the group. Moving to Abandoned.