World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > Sippin on gin and juice

Comments Showing 1-50 of 257 (257 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments .. with my mind on my money and my money on my mind -:) (c) - Snoop Dogg

Yep, it's Friday again. Time to take off hijab, business suit and all the worries of the week and unscrew something nice.
Anyone game?

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer LOL! I think I could use a beer. I better take my pooch out for a walk and then come back and unwind.

P.S. I blame you for all the controversial ruckus. :D

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments It is a terrible injustice that so many of us cannot hit the booze until six hours later, simply because we live in New York.

I'm at work.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Though I should say, it is an enchanting fall day in NYC, with a beautiful, high, deep-blue sky.

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Hope I can compensate with a few beers one day, Denise-:)

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Yeah, Mike, -those time zones-:(
On the bright side for you, my weekend eves are almost over, while yours are just starting!-:)

message 7: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Nik wrote: "Hope I can compensate with a few beers one day, Denise-:)"

:D That would be cool.

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Just wanted to remind to keep filling the glasses -:)

message 9: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Some good old-fashioned IPAs are always good on a Friday.

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 211 comments Well, it's Saturday afternoon out here on the west coast, groceries stacked away, dog walked, laundry drying ... I feel a medicinal Guinness is in order :)

message 11: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Tonight, its a traditional Belgian blonde for me :)

message 12: by Nik (last edited Oct 23, 2016 01:19AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Ian wrote: "Well, it's Saturday afternoon out here on the west coast, groceries stacked away, dog walked, laundry drying ... I feel a medicinal Guinness is in order :)"

Hosting family these days from the West Coast that eagerly help me get rid of strategic reserves of beer and vodka -:)

message 13: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments It's about time when I start tempting folks with Friday drinks -:)

A little exhausted by consecutive visits of foreign guests, I still think it would be a sin (someone asked what it was) not to honor Friday's reign with a glass of scotch -:)

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Matthew wrote: "Tonight, its a traditional Belgian blonde for me :)"

Yes but have something to drink, too.

message 15: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments -:)

message 16: by Daniel J. (new)

Daniel J. Nickolas (danieljnickolas) | 111 comments Tonight I had a Four Loco. It's malted beer with the percentage of a bottle of wine, but loaded with flavoring and sugar to make it taste like a wine cooler; they're horribly unsophisticated, but incredibly cheap.

I bought it only because they sell them at a convenience store one block away from my house ... easy access.

I wouldn't recommend them, unless you're in the mood for both candy and beer/wine, but are strapped for cash and cannot afford both.

message 17: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Daniel J. wrote: "Tonight I had a Four Loco. It's malted beer with the percentage of a bottle of wine, but loaded with flavoring and sugar ..."

Interesting. Never even seen those, had to look'em up on google -:)

message 18: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments I know I start earlier than you, but it's dark outside and I'm already holding this glass filled with something that looks like an apple juice, except it's a fine single malt Scotch whisky.
Cheers! Hope you join soon -:)

message 19: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Another couple of hours. Then I'm off to meet friends in my favourite faux-Belgian dive in the East Village. I need to prepare my liver for election night, or it won't know what's hit it.

message 20: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Sounds good. Couple of hours, I'm still game (I hope).
I believe some training is never superfluous -:)

message 21: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Opening an enrollment for a drinking session again -:)

message 22: by Mike (new)

Mike | 181 comments I have the same issue Mike does, unfortunately. It's 12 noon here- just coffee for me. What are you drinking, Nik?

message 23: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments On Fridays - usually single malt scotch. Today - of Tomatin distillery, unless the temptation to open one of the new sorts prevails -:)
I haven't started yet, but going to pour one soon. Hope you can join when your evening unfolds

message 24: by Mike (new)

Mike | 181 comments cheers :)

message 25: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Na zdorovie !-:)

message 26: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments Cin cin Nik! I've been feeling nostalgic and decided to look for my fave late 70s/early 80s tipple, Cinzano, and I couldn't find it anywhere! I'm in Italy for heaven's sake, it's made here! I had to settle for Martini, a bar owner told me that Cinzano is out of fashion. Tragic.

message 27: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Cinzano maybe a bit retro, but I thought they were still around. Their logo is still engraved on my memory. As it sometimes happens - maybe not in Italy-:) . Pity if they are out of biz... But good replacement with Martini! Cin cin

message 28: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments They're still going, Nik - the irony is, when I googled it, I can get Cinzano at all UK supermarkets! The Martini was nice, they're pretty much the same. :)

message 29: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Every time I go through Duty Free in the airport, I notice that the stand of Asian liquors grows bigger. Asia is set to become a real powerhouse in whiskies, it seems. Couldn't resist a temptation and grabbed a bottle of Indian Amrut.
Not sure the taste is exquisite, but definitely not bad. L'chaim!

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael McLellan To the dismay of my father, I never developed a taste for whiskey. Quality beer, on the other hand...
I live two miles from the Sierra Nevada brewery here in California. They make an awesome pilsner, and several really good ales.
Cheers.

message 31: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments It's not the drink - it's the camaraderie - Cheers!

It's not that I'm strictly a whisky fan, but when drinking alone whisky seems good for a 'slow' drink and single malt usually results in the least severe consequences the morning after -:)

message 32: by Michael (new)

Michael McLellan Ha ha! Always good to be thinking ahead.

message 33: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Well, I worked outside in the cold today so I need to warm up
I have a spiced sweet wine made hot for me.

message 34: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments In case you forgot, the bar is open and offers happy hours all the way towards New Year -:)

message 35: by Mike (new)

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Splendid. I am on holiday until January 3 so will partake briefly after midday EST.

message 36: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Cool, welcome!
Make your reservations, ladies and gents, as the place might get crowded

message 37: by Daniel J. (new)

Daniel J. Nickolas (danieljnickolas) | 111 comments I'd like to reserve a bottle of America's favorite New Year's beverage, any sparkling wine that is erroneously referred to as "Champagne". All the bubbles at one tenth of the price!

message 38: by CrazyUnicorn (new)

CrazyUnicorn Before I forget it I want to wish you all a good new years celebration. Hope you all and your loved ones will have a happy and good 2017 :)

message 39: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Daniel J. wrote: "I'd like to reserve a bottle of America's favorite New Year's beverage, any sparkling wine that is erroneously referred to as "Champagne". All the bubbles at one tenth of the price!"

New Year's impossible without champagne. Pouring, cheers!

message 40: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Maria wrote: "Before I forget it I want to wish you all a good new years celebration. Hope you all and your loved ones will have a happy and good 2017 :)"

Thanks, Maria and best wishes to you and yours too! Now we can help you forget -:) Fancy a drink maybe?

message 41: by Jen Pattison (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments Lemon Peroni for me this evening (not keen on wine), it's currently chilling in the fridge. Happy New Year, everyone!

message 42: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Jen Pattison wrote: "Lemon Peroni for me this evening (not keen on wine), it's currently chilling in the fridge. Happy New Year, everyone!"

You come well prepared -:)
Is it something similar to Corona?
Happy New Year!

message 43: by Jen Pattison (last edited Dec 31, 2016 03:33AM) (new)

Jen Pattison | 409 comments Corona's non-alcoholic, isn't it? It's lemon-flavoured Peroni beer, which is probably heretical to some of you guys but a nice girly drink for me.

message 44: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Jen Pattison wrote: "Corona's non-alcoholic, isn't it? It's lemon-flavoured Peroni beer, which is probably heretical to some of you guys but a nice girly drink for me."

Corona's alcoholic. It's not the drink, it's camaraderie, that's important -:) Salute!

message 45: by Mike (new)

Mike | 181 comments I'll have some red wine soon. Happy New Year, everyone. Best of luck in 2017.

message 46: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Na zdorovye!

message 47: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) How's everybody this morning? Anybody overdo it last night? Or should I ask if anybody didn't? Might be a shorter list.

message 48: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Took one shot of Bailey's Irish Cream to celebrate New Year with my wife and younger son. That's all!

message 49: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Held a small party - lots of folks, reasonable drinking, doesn't feel overdone but underslept for sure-:)

message 50: by P.K. (new)

P.K. Davies | 358 comments So what happened; has everyone stopped drinking? Done a lot of that in my time. Whenever I gave anyone directions in London there was always a pub or three mentioned. I was an actor and a journalist, I think it's a miracle I survived those two occupations without a liver transplant.
Don't do much now; a glass of wine once or twice a week with a good meal and the occasional scotch; preferably Black Label but Johny Walker is okay too. When I really want to be reflective it's got to be Drambuie, the liquor of the one God. In my youth I used to fly in and out of Belfast and that was my gettaway with a cigar. Gave up smoking too. Sex is next on the list.
So if any of you want any technical assistance you know where to come. Who said Cinzano was similar to Martini? You're wasting your money (or someone elses) if that's what you think.
Strongest, fastest to the head, is Gin and Martini; got to be cold - but no ice. Best non-hangover is Vodka. Love Zubrowka, that's the bison grass flavour from the one place in northern Poland where they still roam; probably something to do with what they drop in the grass. My daughter-in-law is half-Polish and we celebrate Wigila the tradional Polish Christmas Eve with wonderful food. The Zubrowka is thrown down the throat until the stomach takes on a nice warm glow. Definately makes Christmas something to look forward to. Well, almost.
But nowadays, lots of tea. Not bottled tea - whatever that is.
Cheers everyone.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6