Star Wars Bookworms Book Club discussion

Ahsoka - Oct 2016 > Audiobook

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (hawks5999) | 11 comments Anyone listening to the audiobook with Ashley Eckstein narrating?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy I bought it, but I haven't started yet because I am planning to listen with my 8 year old daughter. I am so excited to start!

message 3: by Aaron, Jedi Master (new)

Aaron Goins (avgoins) | 213 comments Mod
I have been listening to the audio book. It's really cool to hear Ashley voice Ahsoka. There are a lot of other characters in the book though, and I am having a hard time getting a handle on who is who because the voices she uses are so similar.

message 4: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (hawks5999) | 11 comments I'm having the same problem, Aaron. Not to detract from her, but this book really makes me appreciate Marc Thompson's vocal characterizations. I'm also a little lost because (I think) the story is jumping back and forth between two timeframes without giving any sort of indication. Am I right or have I just completely lost the plot?

message 5: by Dante (new)

Dante DeMille | 14 comments Douglas, after listening to the SWBookworms episode just released and listening to the Q&A with Ashley and E.K., the two timeframes seem to be interludes ala Wendig's Aftermath books. For me, realizing this helped with those.

I thought Ashley did a good job. It took a little bit to get used to her, but for me, it didn't take long to adapt to Ashley telling the story. Not to digress to another book, but I think she did better with this book than Marc Thompson did with the Aftermath books (I've loved Marc in everything else I've heard from him).

message 6: by Aaron, Jedi Master (new)

Aaron Goins (avgoins) | 213 comments Mod
It seems like the interludes in this book all jump back in time (at least the ones I've come across so far) as opposed to Wendig's interludes mostly occurring in the same timeframe as the main narrative.

message 7: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (hawks5999) | 11 comments Subjective preferences and all, I think the Aftermath audiobooks are inspired.
With the interlude/flashbacks in Ahsoka I think it's just a matter of not announcing that it is happening. Oh well back to listening. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy About an hour into the audiobook (listening with my 8 year old daughter). I don't have any problems with the narration. I do wish Interludes were announced or labeled for clarity. I think it enhances the experience to have Ashley Eckstein read it. My daughter keeps commenting how she feels like Ahsoka is telling her a story.

message 9: by David (new)

David Asfour | 1 comments I only ever have time for the Audiobooks and I am very spoiled by Marc Thompson's voice range. What helped me was what Ashley said in one of her discussions about imagining that Ahsoka herself was telling the story and doing the voices of the characters. I just imagine sitting around a campfire on a tropical Trandoshan moon listening to her tell these stories.

message 10: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (hawks5999) | 11 comments Thanks for the feedback. I listened to the podcast which confirmed the first half is pretty slow but the second half really picks up. I had gotten almost to half way so a little bit more and it really turned great.

message 11: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (The Tidy Bookshelf) (tidybookshelf) | 4 comments I read the book the day it came out, now I'm about halfway through the audiobook. I think having read it first helps a lot with keeping things straight. The audiobook really reinforces that this is Ahsoka's story (because it's told in Ahsoka's voice!) and I love the sound effects and music, really adds to the experience.