Play Book Tag discussion

Hag-Seed
This topic is about Hag-Seed
Archive: Other Books > Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood- 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracy (tstan) | 1194 comments Felix is a widower who has also recently lost his 3 year old daughter, Miranda, to meningitis. As he is working on an avant-garde production of The Tempest for the theatre company he directs, he also finds himself out of a job. To make matters even worse, it is his biggest enemy, Sal, colluding with Felix's assistant, Tony, to oust Felix and place Tony in the director's position. About 12 years later, we find Felix teaching Literature to inmates at a nearby prison. The highlight is a yearly Shakespearian play, performed by the prisoners. Felix is also plotting his revenge on Sal and Tony.
This was such a fun book to read! It is clear that not only does Ms. Atwood know this play, she also loves her Shakespeare. And she loves to share it with readers, by not only retelling it, but teaching it through Felix. She must have really enjoyed writing this- even though this play deals with some heavy issues, like grief, vengeance, and deceit, it is treated with care, humor and love.
I reread the play a few years ago, and remember it pretty well, but there is a brief synopsis at the back, and it was helpful for reminding me of which character was which.
If the rest of the Hogarth Shakespeare series is this much fun, I'm looking forward to reading them all.
1 like ·

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Hmm. What to do. Nicole hated it and I often rate similarly but we have had some major differences. You and I almost always rate identically. Back on the list it goes

Tracy (tstan) | 1194 comments Jen wrote: "Hmm. What to do. Nicole hated it and I often rate similarly but we have had some major differences. You and I almost always rate identically. Back on the list it goes"
I think you'll like it. It's not a deep book, but it was entertaining.

Nicole D. | 1482 comments In fairness, I didn't finish it

Tracy (tstan) | 1194 comments I usually approach Atwood's books with trepidation. Most of her books that I've read I really like or love, but there are a handful that I didn't like at all.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I am picking this up from the library next week!

message 7: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments For some reason that I no longer remember, I decided to pass on this book. Now, I need to rethink it or, at least, watch for more feedback.

Nicole D. | 1482 comments Nicole R wrote: "I am picking this up from the library next week!"
i would have sent you my copy

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Nicole wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "I am picking this up from the library next week!"
i would have sent you my copy"

Thanks for the offer, but I got it pretty quick. Plus, after your review I wasn't sure I wanted to read it...

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I've really enjoyed Atwood's work and my favorite theatre year when Kayla was in school was when she played Ariel in The Tempest. I think I will check this out.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I don't like Atwood, I just don't like the books I've read by her. However my Tea and a Book of the month club sent out it's latest package and the book is Hag Seed, so I am going to give this one a go - just not sure when.

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Ladyslott wrote: "I don't like Atwood, I just don't like the books I've read by her. However my Tea and a Book of the month club sent out it's latest package and the book is Hag Seed, so I am going to give this one ..."

What is a Tea and a Book of the month club? Is it a local thing or a more standardized thing? That sounds really cool.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Regina wrote: "Ladyslott wrote: "I don't like Atwood, I just don't like the books I've read by her. However my Tea and a Book of the month club sent out it's latest package and the book is Hag Seed, so I am going..."

No its a subscription thing, you get a book and a different tea every month - somebody mentioned it a while ago and I looked into it. I don't have the price handy, but it's twenty something dollars a month. The books are all current releases (all but one was a hard cover) and the teas are great, I look forward to it every month. They have a group here at Goodreads but it's not active except to announce the books. Nobody discusses anything. It's called Muse Monthly

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Regina wrote: "Ladyslott wrote: "I don't like Atwood, I just don't like the books I've read by her. However my Tea and a Book of the month club sent out it's latest package and the book is Hag Seed..."

Thanks! I'm going to check it out. I love tea as well as books!