What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Long haired male MCs

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 153 comments I'm looking for books featuring long-haired protagonists, specifically males. YA is preferred, not mandatory. Any of the following genres are preferred:

Horror.
Sci-fi.
Fantasy (specifically the urban variety).
Realistic fiction (NO romance- family drama, coming of age, these things are fine).

Odd request, I know, but there's something to be said about reader identification, and I happen to have not had a haircut in about seven years XD
There IS a list for this exact thing, but there are only a few books on it, none of them interest me, and it hasn't been active in a long time.

Anything you can come up with is appreciated. Peace.

message 2: by Biah (new)

Biah Stalkerella | 43 comments Oh... Wow, I can not think of a more opposite predicament for me to be in. XD Lately all I've been reading is Chinese novels and I've gotten so sick of all the long haired men that I was looking for any shamed our outcast MCs who had their hair cut short.

If you're ok with leaving the direct english comfort zone, there's sites like www.novelupdates.com and another called Royal Road L-something something where people translate Asian novels online for free (if they get donations they give the author a cut or you can buy the authors untranslated books just to show support).

There you'll find a plethora of long haired male MCs till you get as sick of it as I do. Literally all the Chinese book covers are smattered with Long silver hair Long black hair etc etc. Makes cross dressing a mite easier for ladies.

message 3: by Biah (new)

Biah Stalkerella | 43 comments If you liked the manga and anime or even if you didn't, this books really good. Set in a post apocalyptic rebuilt society where a supposed Utopia of well bred people live sheltered from the slums directly outside.

NO. 6 is a beautiful complete novel you can read here. The second main character is a long haired androgynous boy who can change his voice from manly to super sexy and feminine on the sly. Nezumi's hair length is up to par with his ambiguous gender profile.

http://9th-ave.blogspot.ca/2011/06/no...

message 4: by Biah (new)

Biah Stalkerella | 43 comments http://www.novelupdates.com/series/sa...

Sansheng Wangchuan Wu Shang, is a chinese myth based romance novel so definitely almost every man will have long locks :)

It's short and cute and easy to read even for people who are new to the translated novel thing because there should be appropriate foot notes explaining any Chinese to english discrepancies like their idioms or historical references.

It's about a rock that sits in a river bed (a river similar to the river Styx as its a demonic and tainted place to be) and after eons it forms into a demonic spirit (think of dryads as tree spirits, Chinese myths have similar tropes to the Greeks so it's not hard to digest). When the God of war passes that river before he goes on a trip to reincarnate as a mortal, the rock spirit encounters him and falls in love.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 153 comments Thank you so much :D

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 153 comments Anyone else? Like i said, preferrably YA in the genres listed above...

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments What about supporting characters? Everyone in Sorrow's Knot by Erin Bow has long hair, although the protagonist is female. It's YA and Horror/Fantasy. Sorrow's Knot

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 153 comments Thanks Pamela :D

message 9: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee (jrsygrl626) | 189 comments Most of the characters in Crown Duel have long hair. The female lead actually has her hair so long she can sit on it as she has vowed to not cut it until her mother's death is avenged.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 153 comments Merrilee wrote: "Most of the characters in Crown Duel have long hair. The female lead actually has her hair so long she can sit on it as she has vowed to not cut it until her mother's death is avenged."

Thank you. :)

message 11: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1208 comments The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian I don't think the main character's hair is that long, but his best friend has long hair and when some bullies beat up the main character the friend gets revenge by cutting off their hair and the narrator says what a big deal that was because of the years they spent growing their hair. Also his father has long hair. This book is YA.

The Outsiders is old but it is a YA classic and it is amazing. All the main characters have long hair, but perhaps not long enough.

Run Softly, Go Fast is another old one that includes the trope of the father telling his son to "get a haircut" because his long hair is a symbol of his rebellion against establishment and authority. This one is kind of dated, but I still think it's worth a read.

Never Say Die I'm pretty sure, though not 100% sure the MC has long hair in this one. YA books about Native Americans and Inuit are good options for looking for long-haired male characters.

I personally am not a big fan of Schooled but it is very popular, is YA, and has a long-haired male protagonist.

I'm sure I know of others. I'll post again when I think of them.

Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter (theslayingisthunter) | 153 comments Thank you, Adele :)
I've read The Outsiders but the rest are new to me ^-^

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16897 comments Legend and The Young Elites have male MCs with long hair.

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson (MG, not YA) Feathers