Barlow College Reading Fall 2016 discussion

Memoir - real or fake?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margot (new)

Margot Astorino | 29 comments Im reading Glass Castle right now and though the book is really interesting it makes me wonder how much she can actually remember from 3 years old.. when you guys read memoirs how much of it do you believe? I find my self speculating a lot while reading and I feel like it's taking away from the book itself.

message 2: by Richie (new)

Richie Lenoci | 39 comments When we learned about memoir in journaling, we learned a lot about truth (truth to oneself and to the reader). For me, truth is subjective and different for every person. If it's told through the eyes of Walls, it's therefor truth to her. Therefor, it has to be somewhat valid.
Overall, I know they interviewed some of the Walls family about this book and no strong objections came up

message 3: by Kelley (new)

Kelley Smith | 4 comments I totally agree with Richie that truth is pretty subjective, and I also think every person's brain works extremely differently, in the aspect of memory. I can remember at least one memory from the age of 4, but some people can only remember things from the age of 11. To enjoy a memoir and not be constantly distracted by "whats the truth", I think to an extent that can be a really positive thing, when it comes to analyzing the author's mind, but try not to get too caught up in tiny details, and just sort of try to accept that its just how she wrote the book, and its what makes the story what it is.

message 4: by Hallie (new)

Hallie | 36 comments I think that with something like the Glass Castle, it's a different scenario. People always say "no one remembers what they ate when they were three" and that's definitely true, but there's a huge difference between remembering what you ate that long ago and remembering how it felt to catch on fire, you know? I think Walls went through a lot of trauma and even though memory is subjective, I believe trauma and life-altering situations tend to lend themselves toward a much heavier grasp on the mind. They're harder to forget.

message 5: by Maya (new)

Maya Greene | 11 comments that book was really good and i highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet. i read it in journaling so my class went into a lot of detail about truth and how valid it is. i think what jeannette walls says is valid, but i don't think she personally remembers what she writes. we watched a ted talk about this topic and one of the things about the truth and how it is altered is when people talk about it. i don't think she remembers being burned while cooking, but she was told over and over by her parents that she probably thinks she remembers it. so i think all the things that she writes about is true, but im not too sure if these memories come straight from her mind.