Barlow College Reading Fall 2016 discussion

Non-fictin Recomendation

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna | 26 comments I'm trying to read books in different genres and I always end up veering towards fiction. If there's any good non-fiction books, I'm open to almost anything.

message 2: by Hallie (new)

Hallie | 36 comments I recommend memoirs, definitely over basic factual non fiction (but that's just my opinion). Some good memoir authors are Jeannette Walls (which I'm sure you've heard a lot about with people reading The Glass Castle), Augusten Burroughs, James Herriot, Ulysses S. Grant, Elie Wiesel, and Maya Angelou (I haven't read all of their memoirs but I have read some and others were recommendations and ones I've heard about)

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica | 17 comments There is a really good non-fiction book called The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell which discusses trends behind successful people and what exactly made them so successful. I would recommend this book because it is very interesting and insightful

message 4: by Maia (new)

Maia | 15 comments I recently read A Pearl in the Storm which is non-fiction and really enjoyed it. It was about a woman who decides to row to France from America. The story is a day by day of her journey and struggles along the way and is really inspiring.

message 5: by Julianna (new)

Julianna Frank | 17 comments The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell is a good non fiction book. It was the first book I read for this course and I don't usually read non fiction. It's about how trends in our society get started which I found very interesting!

message 6: by Richie (new)

Richie Lenoci | 39 comments The book Into The Wild by Tobias Wolf is SOOOOO good! What's cool about it is that there's a debate about how much of it is "non-fiction" and how much of it are details (a.k.a research) added by the author. The author tells the all true story of a man who decides to leave society and live in wild Alaska (the book is so much more complex than just a "manly" journey into the forest). It's kind of like a mystery to piece together why this man did this and how his journey took place. Chronologically, the book jumps around because you're following the author's thought process as he pieces together Christopher McCandless's story. There are also a lot of Chris's journal entires in this book. Google his name and a lot of information will pop up. Some people think he was a complete idiot and killed himself by leaving into the wild while others look at him as a hero for doing this. You can decided what you think he is. And there are pictures of the abondoned bus he stayed in for a duration of his time in Alaska on google. My fav quote from this book (and one of my fav quotes in general is "I have had a happy life and thank the lord. Goodbye and may god bless all."