What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Book About Orphan with Evil Relatives

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn Hi,

I have been looking for this book for years. I read it as a child sometime in the early 2000's, however I borrowed it from my local library and I'm pretty sure it was written before then.

I remember something about an orphaned boy who was left an inheritance by his parents and then got adopted by an aunt and uncle (I can't remember if they were really related or faking) who were seeking to steal his money. That's all I remember. I vaguely remember something about someone going down a chimney, but at this point I'm doubting anything I remember about this book, or if it even existed.

If memory serves it had an orange cover and showed the boy (who was blond) with the aunt and uncle. I also believe the title may have had the boy's name/the family's last name in it, and it being a strange-sounding name.

Thank you soooo much if you can help at all!!!

message 2: by Allyson Lees (new)

Allyson Lees | 5 comments Not James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

message 3: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn Allyson Lees wrote: "Not James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6..."

Nope- love that story, though :)

message 4: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments Your request brings to mind books by Joan Aiken.

message 5: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn ``Laurie wrote: "Your request brings to mind books by Joan Aiken."

I looked through her books and though there are similar themes, doesn't seem to be anything by her- thank you, though!

message 6: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments Are you familiar with the Lemony Snicket series?

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
In one of the Chrestomanci books by Diana Wynne Jones I believe there is something like this. It's been a decade (or two--or three) since I read them, so not totally sure if any are a total match but thought I'd toss them into the mix.

There is also Eight Days of Luke (by the same author) with a boy with truly evil relatives. You might want to check this one out too.

message 8: by Tatumn (last edited Nov 23, 2017 11:36AM) (new)

Tatumn Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "In one of the Chrestomanci books by Diana Wynne Jones I believe there is something like this. It's been a decade (or two--or three) since I read them, so not totally sure if any are a..."

So I looked and Eight Days of Luke doesn't match- I don't remember anything about magic in it. None of the Chrestomanci books seem to match either :(

On another note, I believe this book took place in the UK, but I'm not entirely sure- it could have been the US. Was definitely one of those two, though.

message 9: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn ``Laurie wrote: "Are you familiar with the Lemony Snicket series?"

Yes, it's not one of those.

message 10: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn I hope to go to my local library next week and I will browse the shelves then. I live in a small neighborhood so I don't think they've changed my local branch books much. I'll let you know if I find it~

message 12: by Tatumn (last edited Nov 27, 2017 05:08AM) (new)

Tatumn Lou wrote: "Maybe A House Called Awful End?

A House Called Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy) by Philip Ardagh"

Hmm could be. I'll investigate it further. I'm also going to the library today so I'll try to see if they still have the book I'm thinking of.

message 13: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn I'm pretty sure it's not A House Called Awful End. I looked through the library shelves and catalog and came up with nothing. I am questioning my sanity at this point. lol

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
Tatumn, are there other children in the aunt/uncle's house, and do they get along? Does the boy have friends or pets?

message 15: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn Kris wrote: "Tatumn, are there other children in the aunt/uncle's house, and do they get along? Does the boy have friends or pets?"

I don't remember any other children. Possibly a pet, but I'm not sure. I wish my memory of it was less fuzzy! I'm 25 now and read this book when I was probably about 10 so it's foggy.

message 16: by Tatumn (last edited Nov 28, 2017 09:56AM) (new)

Tatumn I am also second-guessing myself if they were aunt/uncle, may have been cousins. I've tried Google book search and WorldCat. The only scene I remember is the chimney one unfortunately. I think it's towards the end when that happens, I believe he escapes up the chimney

message 17: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn bump

message 18: by Joshua (ithildins) (last edited Dec 25, 2017 11:02AM) (new)

Joshua (ithildins) (ithildins) | 10 comments the chimney thing makes me think of Paddington but I don't remember anything about an inheritance left to the bear

Honestly, don't give up on something if you think it exists. I remember once when I was a young teen, I tried describing a few scenes from a children's movie that I remembered - no one knew what I was talking about and most said it was probably just some dream sequences - but it turned out a few years ago, the movie was Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland. I watched that when I was like 7 and inquired about it around 16 - it was ten or more years afterwards that I actually discovered it.

message 19: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn Joshua wrote: "the chimney thing makes me think of Paddington but I don't remember anything about an inheritance left to the bear

Honestly, don't give up on something if you think it exists. I remember once when..."

Yeah, it wasn't Paddington :/ Thanks, I'll keep trying!

message 20: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19018 comments Was it realistic, or did the story have fantasy elements at all?

What time period was it set in, modern day or historical?

message 21: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn Rainbowheart wrote: "Was it realistic, or did the story have fantasy elements at all?

What time period was it set in, modern day or historical?"

I don't remember any fantasy elements. It was mostly realistic but did have a fanciful tone. It was historical, think Charles Dickens type

message 22: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments What country were you in read you read this book? What language?

message 23: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 74 comments Maybe one of the books by Barbara Brooks Wallace? “Peppermints in the Parlor” is her most well known one but she has several others that generally involve orphans taken in by shady relatives in a Victorian time era. They aren’t really a series, just a common theme of plucky orphans and conniving no-good adults!

message 24: by Kris (new)

Peppermints in the Parlor, etc. by Barbara Brooks Wallace - Sherri's suggestion

message 25: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn Tab wrote: "What country were you in read you read this book? What language?"

United States, I read it in English

message 26: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn Sherri wrote: "Maybe one of the books by Barbara Brooks Wallace? “Peppermints in the Parlor” is her most well known one but she has several others that generally involve orphans taken in by shady relatives in a V..."

Nothing of hers stood out when I gave a quick look, but I'm not entirely ruling it out.

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments The chimney part made me think of Leon Garfield...his books are from the 70s and 80s though. Still, if it was in a library, maybe worth checking? Smith was an award-winner, so is probably still on some library shelves. But I don't think that he's taken in by relatives.

message 28: by Kris (last edited Jan 01, 2018 08:08AM) (new)

Following up on Kelly's suggestion of author Leon Garfield, there's The December Rose about an orphan boy who's a chimney sweep. The December Rose by Leon Garfield

Here is Google's preview - https://books.google.com/books?id=SBF...

message 29: by Tatumn (new)

Tatumn Kris wrote: "Following up on Kelly's suggestion of author Leon Garfield, there's The December Rose about an orphan boy who's a chimney sweep. The December Rose by Leon Garfield
..."

Yes

message 30: by Kris (new)

Are you saying The December Rose by Leon Garfield is your book?