Play Book Tag discussion

All the Little Liars (Aurora Teagarden, #9)
This topic is about All the Little Liars
Archive: Other Books > All the Little Liars by Charlaine Harris - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5068 comments It's been 13 years since the last Aurora Teagarden book, so this was a welcome surprise. As a cozy series this one is ok, and not your typical cozy, but has several unusual turns in the protagonist's life.

The book starts with Roe and Robin getting married and pregnant, then we come to the mystery, the kidnapping of Roe's younger teenage brother and his friends, and the murder of another. The mystery itself was pretty good, as Harris is a good writer. She can write some mean nasty teen characters, that's for sure! I guessed the kidnapper's identity pretty early, but couldn't figure out the motive. Good solid story overall, a little weak in the part where Roe's brother manages to call her with a cryptic message, which felt totally contrived, but was forgiveable. What lowered my rating is that I really have never been able to feel any connection with the characters of this series. I'm kind of dithering about whether to round up or down, but will probably go up.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I finished the Sookie Stackhouse series, and haven't been able to pick any Charlaine Harris up ever since. I know she has a lot of series- I read one of the Lily Bard ones. They all seem a bit melodromatic for cozy mysteries to me now. Do you have a favorite Harris series?

annapi | 5068 comments Joi wrote: "Do you have a favorite Harris series?"

Most people wouldn't agree, but I like best the Harper Connelly series. I also enjoyed Lily Bard, but I don't consider that a cozy, it's too dark. I liked the early Sookie Stackhouse, but I think that series went on too long and declined in quality over the last books. Roe Teagarden is kind of a little off center of what most cozies are like, it's just ok for me, nothing great. Her standalone novels are good and solid but not great.

I have not yet tried the Midnight Texas and Cemetery Girl series.