Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > YA Magical Realism - 65K

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelsey_simon) | 103 comments Hi everyone! I could use a few beta readers for my YA Magical Realism. Here is the blurb:

Sixteen-year-old Clay feels it's his job to take care of his best friend Nicco. Which isn’t easy considering how much Nicco enjoys throwing himself into dangerous situations, always leaving Clay to pick up the pieces. So when Nicco threatens to jump from the roof of a building, Clay can’t tell if he’s serious. For Nicco, this is a whole new level of dangerous.

Clay doesn’t know Nicco has everything planned. He figured out if the local police station employed a healer, and made sure Clay called the cops. When the police arrive on schedule, their healer in tow, Nicco jumps―but the healer can’t heal him. His jump is real.

Watching his best friend commit accidental suicide breaks Clay apart―he failed to keep Nicco safe. Every time he shuts his eyes, all he sees is Nicco’s body, a red smudge on the sidewalk. Then, like Nicco’s reaching out to him from the grave, Clay meets an old classmate at a party―another healer. He begs her for a healing, believing something is physically broken inside of him and thankfully, she delivers. There’s just nothing to fix.

When Clay watched Nicco die, something inside him did break. The block on his ability to heal.

Clay has a chance now to do right by Nicco and help others like he couldn’t help his best friend. But first, he has to come to terms with the role he played in Nicco’s death, or he won’t be helping anyone.

It is complete at 65K. I'm really needing some fresh eyes, specifically I need help with making sure the internal conflict sounds real, where it drags, and just basically making sure there aren't any glaring plot holes or big confusions.

Thank you!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Monsma (goodreadscomsarah_monsma) | 1 comments Hi Kelsey,
Are you still looking for beta readers? Your novel sounds interesting, and I've got some time coming up. I have experience critiquing, beta reading, and reviewing mg, ya, and mystery novels.
Thanks,
Sarah