The Humour Club discussion

General > Seeking Advice for Cartoon Licensing

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Ross | 10 comments MY CAR NEVER LISTENS TO ME by Steve Ross

I'd like to pick your brain on a certain subject: The licensing of images (comedic?) for commercial use including advertising.

I believe that the attached animated (self-driving) car with arms & legs image has commercial potential.

Any thoughts on how I could take this image (and other cartoon images in my book covers and interior illustrations) and get the attention of companies who might benefit from its use?

Should I try to find a cartoon-art agent to sell these? Do I send a letter to someone at Walmart/Google Cars/greeting card companies/wherever?

How to proceed?

Thank you.

message 2: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler | 1548 comments Mod
Bearing in mind that, if I wore a hat I'd be talking through it right now:
I'd make sure the cartoons' copyrights are officially registered, and separately from any published text they're associated with.
An art agent would be nice if you could find one. If not, I would do things like contact companies' art, advertising or marketing departments, if they have any of these, and ask if they consider freelance copy or artwork. Ad agencies may be more likely to consider this.
Before submitting, I would have some sort of agreement in place that anything you send is for review purposes only, and your sending it does not constitute authorization for its use. Check with an attorney on how to word that.

back to top