Horror Aficionados discussion

The Haunting of Hill House
This topic is about The Haunting of Hill House
Buddy Reads > The Haunting of Hill House

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Addy | 4989 comments Terrry and I will be starting tomorrow. Feel free to join us!

Addy | 4989 comments I listened to 2 chapters and followed with the book. There seem to be similarities with Hell House as far as ppl staying in a haunted house to debunk it. I wonder which one was written first?

message 3: by Terry (last edited Oct 14, 2016 02:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry | 4930 comments Did you listen to the first two chapters, or the first two parts of ch1, lol? I figured it was all of the first two, and that's how far I went. I like this narrator. She has a fitting voice I think for this story. So far, I like the description of the Hill House itself better than the Belasco House. I looked, and it seems that this book was written before Hell House by about 12 years. The movie of this one (at least the more recent one) seems more similar to Hell House than this book does so far, though.

Addy | 4989 comments Whoops! Only the first 2 chapters of chapter 1. I thought the chapters were kinda short...lol. And thanks for looking that up!

Addy | 4989 comments I agree about the narrator. I like how she changes the voice for each character. It's very fitting.

Terry | 4930 comments Sure, John, you are definately welcome.

Terry | 4930 comments Addy wrote: "Whoops! Only the first 2 chapters of chapter 1. I thought the chapters were kinda short...lol. And thanks for looking that up!"

Funny! I also found out that Shirley Jackson died when she was only 49. That's definately sad.

Addy | 4989 comments Welcome John!

Yes, that is sad. This is my first book from her and she seems to have a lot of good ones out there.

Addy | 4989 comments This Eleanor has a wild imagination

Latasha (latasha513) | 11046 comments Mod
hey guys, I'm lingering around, reading your comments and stuff. I don't want to reread it just yet but I really love this book and both movie versions.

Love it!

I do :)

Terry | 4930 comments I've listened up to the start of ch4. (view spoiler)

message 14: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Ok. I'll try to reach it today. I bought something for my car so I hope it works so I can listen while driving.

Terry | 4930 comments Addy wrote: "Ok. I'll try to reach it today. I bought something for my car so I hope it works so I can listen while driving."

Hope it works for you. Just about all of my progress has been from time listening in the car.

message 16: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I didn't make it that far. Just to ch3. I think it's splendid that these two women have each other for company at Hill house. They compliment each other very well. I'm quite envious of their little adventure. I think if this were me, I definitely would have stayed at Hill house myself.

Terry | 4930 comments NP. I'll wait for you at ch4. I think I would have been more willing to stay at Hill House than at Belasco's House, based on their histories.

message 18: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Everything about this book is amazing. The setting, the people who have no idea, the doctor/ professor (he just has that aura), and the foreboding house. I feel like I'm there. I love it!

message 19: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Finally made it to ch 4! Yes, the history of Hill House is more bearable than the history of the Belasco house.

Terry | 4930 comments Excellent, and I agree about the setup for this one. Good characters and a good setting. No dark turn as of yet.

message 21: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments The only question I had was when Theodora and Eleanor were talking, did Eleanor lie about having her own apartment with the lions and looking for a cup with stars?

Terry | 4930 comments I didn't think so. I took those things as craft-like decorations she was describing.

message 23: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments She was imaging the lions on her way to Hill House and then of course the little girl she witnessed about the cup. I thought they were maybe things that she wanted, to make her life feel a bit more glamorized because Theodora has her own apartment. Idk. Also, do u think Luke's lucky piece is a gun? Is that what he meant?

Terry | 4930 comments Good questions, and you may be right. I had to go back in the book to see. I think the lions are stone lions she has on her mantle in her apartment. I think she has an apartment now that she got after her mom died a few months back, but you can't tell if she isn't making it up like you said. The cup of stars is curious because she saw the little girl who wanted it at the diner, but then later told Theodora she wanted one herself. On Luke's lucky piece, it's funny but I just thought of some good luck charm he has, but really you can't tell. It may be his lucky gun, lol.

Donna Braemer | 3 comments Addy wrote: "She was imaging the lions on her way to Hill House and then of course the little girl she witnessed about the cup. I thought they were maybe things that she wanted, to make her life feel a bit more..."

If I remember correctly those were things she wanted but didn't have yet.I think also that the gun's Luke's lucky piece.

message 26: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Ok. Thanks guys!

message 27: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Ch 4 of 4 (view spoiler)

Terry | 4930 comments No reading time today. I'll have to pick it up again tomorrow.

Terry | 4930 comments I did get my copy of The Summoning in the mail today. It looks pretty good (pretty cool cover, too).

message 30: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Awesome! Yes, I thought the cover was pretty cool as well:) I stopped at ch5.

Terry | 4930 comments A good cover like that makes me want to read it sooner! I'll try to listen up to ch6 tomorrow.

message 32: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments We shud read it next! (view spoiler)end of ch4

message 33: by Terry (last edited Oct 21, 2016 04:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry | 4930 comments Addy wrote: "Ch 4 of 4 [spoilers removed]"

I agree with what you're saying about Elinor. (view spoiler)

Terry | 4930 comments Addy wrote: "We shud read it next! [spoilers removed]end of ch4"

I'm up for reading it next! I've made it up to part 2 of ch5.

End of ch4. (view spoiler) I'm really liking this narrator!

message 35: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I agree with all ur great comments! I'm gonna try to catch up now:)

message 36: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I'm in the same spot as you. What did I think if the writing? Do u think someone wrote it or is the house putting them against each other. This is the first time that a house, if that's what it is, is being very clever. What do I think Theodora was trying to accomplish?

message 37: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Ok, sub the I's for you's...lol.

Terry | 4930 comments I fell asleep early again! I'm waffling on whether I think the message was made by one of them (like the doctor, as part of his studies for some reason) or the house, although I did think the banging on the doors and the stuff Elinor and Theodora heard were the house. I do feel Theodora's reaction was the negative energy in the house, though. Why would she switch from being so nice to Elinor to saying such mean things so suddenly if not?

message 39: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Yes, I noticed theo's attitude toward Elinor has changed. Why? What if the house isn't haunted at all and it's all an experiment!! Ok, I'll admit that wud be awesome but a little far fetched.

message 40: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I meant to say a social experiment

message 41: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (felicial) | 13 comments Addy wrote: "I'm in the same spot as you. What did I think if the writing? Do u think someone wrote it or is the house putting them against each other. This is the first time that a house, if that's what it is,..."

Great questions, I was wondering about the same things when I read the book a few months back. Part of me wondered if Eleanor did all that writing while in a dissociative fugue of some sort. The ambiguity could be deliberate.

Terry | 4930 comments Hadn't thought of that, Felicia. Could be she is doing that.

And I don't think your idea is too much of a stretch, Addy. Could be that!

Terry | 4930 comments I made it up to the end of ch7 this morning. In the middle of ch6 (view spoiler) At the start of ch7 (view spoiler)

message 44: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I'm almost to ch6(view spoiler)

message 45: by Terry (last edited Oct 23, 2016 03:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry | 4930 comments Ch6. (view spoiler)

message 46: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Is that before or after ch6

Terry | 4930 comments I'm sorry. It's a response to your comment on ch6.

message 48: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Do u get a feeling that the others know something we don't? Like when Luke said Eleanor has done this before....done what? I have no idea what he's talking about and apparently neither does Eleanor. Does everyone know she has a split personality or something...lol.

Terry | 4930 comments It definately seems sometimes that they know something she does not. She just seems so innocent!

message 50: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I just got to ch7 and the book is almost done, yet I have no idea what's going on. The women running off talking about Eleanor being foolish, and why was Theodora laughing at the end? It was like there was nothing there, like that vision didn't happen and Theo wanted to scream "run" just to see Eleanor running for her life. I just don't get it. I hope whatever lies at the end is damn good because I'm lost...lol.

« previous 1