Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta Reader Available: YA, Mystery, Thriller, Literary Fiction up to 90k

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (last edited Oct 14, 2016 08:02AM) (new)

Julie Hey, guys,

I just Beta Read my second ever book. I love being a Beta Reader. So weird, but true.

In particular, I feel I can add value in the following genres: YA, Mystery, Thriller, Literary Fiction, Romance, Humor. I haven't read much fantasy or science fiction so I'm not sure I have value to add there.

I would prefer to keep the manuscripts that I read to about 90k to 100k words, roughly, or less.

I am happy to use the Beta Reader checklist that is provided in this group, and I use Adobe Reader DC which is has a highlight & comment function that I will use when reading for you.

If you need a Beta Read, let me know! I can do about one per week, easily.

I also have a book out for beta reading and can swap if you want. My book is light mystery with a chick lit vibe.

xo

EDIT/UPDATE: I got a lot of replies, so I have a little bit of a backlog right now. I don't want to disappoint anyone, so I have to say that I'm Closed For Business until I get through the existing works.

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire | 21 comments
Would you be willing to read a vampire story. Just remember that vampires are people too. I could send you 15 chapters.

David
dcymai@aol.com

message 3: by Julie (last edited Oct 13, 2016 02:39PM) (new)

Julie lol Absolutely! I love vampires!! You are right, they are people, too.

message 4: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelsey_simon) | 103 comments Hi Julie,

I am looking for a reader for my YA Magical Realism. Here is my blurb:

Sixteen-year-old Clay feels it's his job to take care of his best friend Nicco. Which isn’t easy considering how much Nicco enjoys throwing himself into dangerous situations, always leaving Clay to pick up the pieces. So when Nicco threatens to jump from the roof of a building, Clay can’t tell if he’s serious. For Nicco, this is a whole new level of dangerous.

Clay doesn’t know Nicco has everything planned. He figured out if the local police station employed a healer, and made sure Clay called the cops. When the police arrive on schedule, their healer in tow, Nicco jumps―but the healer can’t heal him. His jump is real.

Watching his best friend commit accidental suicide breaks Clay apart―he failed to keep Nicco safe. Every time he shuts his eyes, all he sees is Nicco’s body, a red smudge on the sidewalk. Then, like Nicco’s reaching out to him from the grave, Clay meets an old classmate at a party―another healer. He begs her for a healing, believing something is physically broken inside of him and thankfully, she delivers. There’s just nothing to fix.

When Clay watched Nicco die, something inside him did break. The block on his ability to heal.

Clay has a chance now to do right by Nicco and help others like he couldn’t help his best friend. But first, he has to come to terms with the role he played in Nicco’s death, or he won’t be helping anyone.

It's complete at 65K, and I am in desperate need for someone to sort of nit-pick the internal conflict since that is my weakness.

Let me know if you are interested! It's all ready to go.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Silvey (msilveywrites) | 48 comments Julie wrote: "Hey, guys,

I just Beta Read my second ever book. I love being a Beta Reader. So weird, but true.

I have a book that I hope you might enjoy. It's called What's Buried Beneath

~71k romantic suspense part 1 of 2

Let me know if you are interested. Thanks. Melissa

message 6: by Don (new)

Don Logan (donlogan) Hi Julie,

I have a 70K YA Thriller you might find interesting. Here's the logline:

For two eighteen-year-old boys, the summer of 1978 was supposed to be a time for celebration, not a run for their lives. When they find themselves south of the border, broke and desperate, they pull off a daring heist and make their return to Chicago with a plan: Set a trap for their tormentors and put the whole nightmare behind them — or die trying.

I hope to hear from you
Thanks!

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire | 21 comments Julie

How do I send my Vampire story to you? I will send in pdf. I am familiar with DC.

I don't know how I got to be know as Clair on this site. My name is David. It must have something to do when I first signed up and was not sure what I was doing.

My e-mail is dcymai@aol.com

Thanks

David

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela Hausman (angie_hausman) | 7 comments Hi, Julie. I have a completed mystery/ thriller. It's around 85K. If you're interested, I can send a link to a .doc or .pdf.

Here's a synopsis:

"Buried Ladies" is a fast-paced novel set along the Texas/ Mexican border -- a place called the valley. It's here that our story starts with a 911 call to report Estella's murder. But, there's no body - only a missing person and a red stain on the carpeting in the home she shares with her husband, Jaime. Soon, bodies turn up in a construction site north of McAllen, but none of them is Estella. So, what's happened to Estella.

Jaime flees McAllen soon after police interview him about his wife's disappearance -- they don't buy his story that she's visiting relatives. As he prepares to fly out, he runs across the real serial killer, a ruthless man who kills his victims as part of his sexual release. Many are poor women from Mexico.

In the search for Estella, the story winds its way through Mexican cartels, especially the Gulf Cartel, where readers learn about how these organizations operate outside the law with impunity, due to their vast wealth in a poor country. Arturo is one of the leaders. He lives in an opulent home -- really a compound where he enforces the rules of his cartel masters and stores drugs destined to reach the US through is network of mules.

Through a series of twists and turns that take us to a job hacking into the DEA computer for the Gulf Cartel and efforts to discover the serial killer responsible for at least 5 dead women in the Rio Grande Valley, we learn about the inner workings of a truly evil mind.

message 9: by Ron (new)

Ron (allthunbs) | 15 comments Hi Julie:

I have a YA fiction that needs a beta read. It's the story of a nine year old foster child taken in by an old man --- sort of a Pygmalion without the selfishness. Would you be interested?

Grumpy

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie Kelsey wrote: "Hi Julie,

Sixteen-year-old Clay feels it's his job to take care of his best friend Nicco. Which isn’t easy considering how m..."

Yes, I would read this! My email address is dawnkeyotie@gmail.com.

I am basically going first come first serve. I got a lot of responses to my post, so when I receive your work, I will email you back with an approximate ETA on returning it to you.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie Angela wrote: "Hi, Julie. I have a completed mystery/ thriller. It's around 85K. If you're interested, I can send a link to a .doc or .pdf.

Here's a synopsis:

"Buried Ladies" is a fast-paced novel set along the..."

Yes, I would read this, absolutely! I got a lot of responses to my post, so I'm not sure where your work would fall in line, but when I receive it, I will email you back with ETA. I guess I need a spreadsheet to keep track of who is in line and in what order!

Send it here: dawnkeyotie@gmail.com.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie Ron wrote: "Hi Julie:

I have a YA fiction that needs a beta read. It's the story of a nine year old foster child taken in by an old man --- sort of a Pygmalion without the selfishness. Would you be interested..."

Yes, this sounds interesting! A little bit of a line is forming, but if you want to send it to me, my email address is dawnkeyotie@gmail.com. I would be happy to read it and give you my thoughts. It sounds like something I would enjoy.

Thanks!

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie Angela wrote: "Hi, Julie. I have a completed mystery/ thriller. It's around 85K. If you're interested, I can send a link to a .doc or .pdf.

Here's a synopsis:

"Buried Ladies" is a fast-paced novel set along the..."

This sounds very exciting and scary. Right up my alley! You can send it to me at dawnkeyotie@gmail.com.

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie Kelsey wrote: "Hi Julie,

Sixteen-year-old Clay feels it's his job to take care of his best friend Nicco. Which isn’t easy considering how m..."

Sure, I will read this! My email address is dawnkeyotie@gmail.com. I am looking forward to it!

message 15: by Jay (new)

Jay Storey (jayallanstorey) | 80 comments Hi, Julie,

I'm looking for a beta reader for my thrilling 75,000 word YA/Science Fiction novel, ‘The Black Heart of the Station’.

Synopsis:

Josh Driscoll, a teenager living in a mysterious underground city known as ‘The Station’, is forced to enroll as a novice monk at Saint Carmine’s, the Station’s resident monastery, as punishment for numerous petty crimes and mischief.

At first desperate to escape, he’s gradually drawn into the monastery’s scriptures, which seem to answer questions about the Station’s origin, now lost in the mists of time. From those scriptures, Josh comes to believe that the ‘Black Heart’, a computer complex of unknown purpose buried in a part of the Station critically damaged centuries ago, is vital to their future survival.

When the governing Council, of which Josh’s own father is a member, announces plans to demolish the Black Heart to open up badly needed living space, Josh forms a movement and leads a desperate battle to stop the demolition.

You can reach me at: jastorey@shaw.ca

Thanks,
Jay