Evergreen Park Readers discussion

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette Seidl | 14 comments I just finished A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles, and it is the best book I've read this year. It's literary historical fiction, which is my favorite genre, because it humanizes the past. I wouldn't willingly read a book about the Soviet Union in the first half of the 20th century, but how palatable it becomes through the eyes of Count Alexander Rostov!

Amor Towles has drawn, literally drawn with words, memorable characters in an intricately woven story that I thought was brilliant in language and concept. You will find the plot very aptly described by my goodreads colleagues, so I won't elaborate here. But it is uplifting to read, in view of the sordid, undignified, and even brutal political miasma that currently surrounds us, a parallel place and time where a man was able to lead a decent and civil and useful life. And when all is taken away, what endures is love, be it familial, romantic, national, or for friends who are as close as family. A book to be savored for its writing, wit, and satisfying ending. In my opinion this book is a contemporary masterpiece.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Wassenaar | 54 comments I can't wait to read it now! Its coming home with me today, thanks Nicki.