Archive: Other Books > The Dispatcher - Scalzi - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2939 comments The Dispatcher by John Scalzi

The Dispatcher - Scalzi
Audio performance by Zachary Quinto
4 stars

This is a truly creepy story. It’s contemporary detective noir with a bizarre twist of science fiction.

The overriding premise of this story is that murder has become impossible, almost always. Victims of murder, upon death, instantly disappear. They reappear, totally naked (ala The Time Traveler's Wife) safely at home. The story is set several years into a future when the ‘murder is not permanent’ phenomenon has become established and commonplace. Society adapts. An interesting job opportunity becomes available; that of Dispatcher. Natural death is still a real possibility, and suicides stay dead, but if an individual is murdered in advance of a natural death, they return home in a their previous state of health. Dispatchers are licenced murderers. They attend risky surgical procedures. They ‘assist’ emergency personnel at accident sites. They provide a valuable service. Usually.

This is a short story. I hope there will be a longer sequel to follow. It is available free from audible until Nov. 2, 2016. You can’t do better than free, and Zachary Quinto did an outstanding job of reading this one...with one small problem. The story is set in Chicago. None of his characters have anything that resembles a Chicago accent. They even sounded faintly Southern. Once I mentally set the story in a slightly southern location, it was great. And truly creepy.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I downloaded this yesterday. I couldn't pass up a free book read by him! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

message 3: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments I downloaded it and just finished reading. Very interesting premise and exploration of consequences. Gave it 4 stars as well.

message 4: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1406 comments Thanks for this review. I just went and downloaded it. I usually like Scalzi.

message 5: by Denizen (last edited Oct 14, 2016 11:02AM) (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I just put Scalzi on my authors-to-try list. I'll have to see if I can find the free audio.

Your review of Lock In already had Scalzi on my radar.

message 6: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2939 comments Denizen wrote: "I just put Scalzi on my authors-to-try list. I'll have to see if I can find the free audio.

Your review of Lock In already had Scalzi on my radar."

I'm really surprised to find that I like him. It's not my usual thing.