Books on the Nightstand discussion

Postal Book Clubs > Postal Book Club - Before They Were Movies. FULL

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (syllymom) | 14 comments These postal book clubs sound like so much fun. Is anyone interested in forming a new one with me? I would like to choose books that were written before a movie was made based on it. This could be a wide range of genres.

6 seems like it's worked for the other groups, so once we get that many, I'll message everyone to get contact info and send out emails. Probably limit to US readers for postage reasons.

Original Rules:
•Pick out a book (I'm thinking 350 pages or less) and a notebook to record thoughts about the book. It sounds like a fun idea to keep the book selections secret so the mailings are a surprise.
•Put a little bio about yourself on the first page of the notebook if you feel comfortable with that.
•Read the book and record what you think about the book in the notebook. This will probably be an exercise where we learn as we go. Don't worry about spoilers because people can choose to review the notebook comments after reading the book.
•Mail the book and notebook to your designated person on or about the 15th of the month.
•Receive your new book and repeat the process.

As soon as I can get five more people to join I will set a schedule.

message 2: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Ham I would be interested in joining you. Message me when you have enough members!

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 60 comments What a fun topic! I'm interested! Are we including classics or assuming everyone has read those? I think I could handle the schedule as long as people stick to the page rule; I'm just a slow reader.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 190 comments I'm interested!

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (syllymom) | 14 comments Happy to see three of you interested in reading with me. We need two more. Hannah, you can read whatever you like whether a classic or a more recent selection.

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill | 9 comments I'm interested in this too.

I have a question. Does it have to be movies? How do you feel about books that were made into television series, like The Slap or Wayward Pines? Just curious. I'm interested in the book club either way.

message 7: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (syllymom) | 14 comments That would be ok with me. You are number five. One more needed to get this started.

message 8: by Terri (new)

Terri Green (tmgreen) | 3 comments I'm interested!! I like the movie theme. This will be my first postal book club group. I have been stalking for a while and I am ready to jump in!

message 9: by Sylvia (last edited Oct 26, 2016 03:18PM) (new)

Sylvia (syllymom) | 14 comments It looks like we are six!

Sylvia will send to Vicki
Vicki to Hannah
Hannah to Amanda
Amanda to Jill
Jill to Terri
Terri to Sylvia

Can you all message me with your email & mailing addresses? Do the same for person you are to send to.

Here's what we do:

--Pick out a book (300 pages or less, but no one will have a fit if it is 325) and a notebook to record your thoughts about the book.

--I was thinking it might be fun to put a little bio about yourself on the first page of the notebook. If you are not comfortable with that, it is OK.

--Read the book, then record what you think about the book in the notebook. I think this will be an exercise where we learn as we go. For me, I know how I feel about a book, but putting it into words is different. I think we will all get better at it and as Jana said in one of her posts, be honest. I don't think we should worry too much about spoilers because we can always choose to review the notebook comments after we have read the book.

--Mail the book and notebook to your designated person on or about December 20.

--Receive your book! And repeat the process.

Our mailing schedule is:
--December 20th
--February 20th
--April 20th
--June 20th
--August 20th
--October 20th

On December 20th the book would return to the original owner, and we could start a second round.

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Ham Exciting! can't wait to pick out my book.

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 60 comments Oh, I'm so glad we'll have two months for each mailing and reading process! I'm a bit of a slow reader, so that will make it so much easier. This is my first postal book club; I'm really excited!

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 60 comments Oh, side note, are we also writing our thoughts on the movie in this notebook? If we have time to see it after reading and before sending, I mean?

message 13: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (syllymom) | 14 comments Hannah wrote: "Oh, side note, are we also writing our thoughts on the movie in this notebook? If we have time to see it after reading and before sending, I mean?"

That would be fun to do. I'm really trying to find a book where I haven't seen the movie already.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 190 comments One of the best parts is going through all of my books and deciding what to send. I'm at the tail end of another postal book club and I know I won't get my book back in time to send out to all of you but it would have made a great movie book :) The Stepford Wives..... ah well. I'll find something else!

message 15: by Jill (new)

Jill | 9 comments I finally chose a book that I love, that was made into a movie that I love, but I'm not sure it's all that well known. The movie is not currently streaming on Netflix or Hulu, so I've decided to send a copy of the movie along with the book. That way, if anyone wants to watch it, they'll have the dvd right there. Is that ok? I actually found an inexpensive second-hand copy to send, so if it gets lost along the way, I won't be heartbroken.

I am really looking forward to this book club!

message 16: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (syllymom) | 14 comments Sounds very interesting. I have narrowed my choices down to three. So hard to choose.

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 60 comments I decided to read a new to me book that's been on my TBR forever. Hopefully we'll all like it!

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 190 comments I picked a book I read in HS and loved. It became a movie I didn't so much love, but if I'm honest, I rarely care for movies made from books. They just aren't as good :D

Can't wait to see what everyone else picked!

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 190 comments I'm trying to get my book read and ready to mail. I might be a smidge late but hopefully not too much!

message 20: by Jill (new)

Jill | 9 comments I may be a day or two late mailing out too. I was hoping to get it in the mail tomorrow, but I may not make it. Sorry for the delay!

message 21: by Terri (new)

Terri Green (tmgreen) | 3 comments I mailed mine today! Sylvia you should expect it on Friday, but who knows with all the holiday mail. Cant wait to see what everyone picked!

message 22: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 60 comments Finally finished mine today, just in time! It will be in the mail tomorrow or Wednesday!

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 190 comments My book is out to Jill :) What a wait in line to mail! whew...

message 24: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (syllymom) | 14 comments HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope everyone has their books. I know mine was sent late. So sorry Vicki. I will do better. Terri, I did get your book Christmas Eve. Excited to get it started now that all the holiday stuff is over. It is similar in subject matter to the book I chose.

message 25: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Ham I got mine Sylvia. Great pick! I think starting around the holidays was a challenge for all and we will be more timely going forward.

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 60 comments I finally just sent mine--so sorry for the delay! Working around the holidays was really hard for me, but I hope you all like my choice and that it won't be so difficult in the future.

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 190 comments Jill, hoping to get your next book out tomorrow!

message 28: by Jill (new)

Jill | 9 comments Thanks, Amanda! I can't wait to see what it is!

Terri, I'm going to try to make it to the post office tomorrow, but you know how that can be. Tuesday the latest, I promise! :)

message 29: by Terri (new)

Terri Green (tmgreen) | 3 comments Thanks Jill! I am watching the movie of your pick right now! Thanks for introducing me to this book! It was completely new to me. Sylvia, I'll be mailing this to you sometime this week. Looking forward to the next book.

message 30: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (syllymom) | 14 comments Terri, I received the book today. Jill, I had never heard of this book or movie. Looking forward to starting it.

message 31: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Ham Sylvia, I got my book today as well. I am sure enjoying the books and reading in the journals about everyone and what they think of the books.

message 32: by Jill (new)

Jill | 9 comments I got my book today too. Good choice! I'm really looking forward to diving in.

message 33: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 60 comments I got mine! There's such an interesting variety of chosen books!

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 190 comments Jill, your new book is on its way!!

message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 60 comments I'm mailing my book today--a little late, sorry Amanda! This has been lots of fun, but I don't think I'll be able to continue to another cycle. Sylvia, I'm not sure if you're continuing to be in charge of the list, but you can take me off and open the group up to another member if you want. Thanks for the experience, everyone! Sorry I didn't have time to read one or two of the books. :/

message 36: by Jill (new)

Jill | 9 comments Hey everyone. Thanks for an amazing year of reading! But I'm going to have to drop out for next year. They made some changes at work, and next year looks to be a bear. I don't want to feel like I'm holding up the flow, so I'm going to bow out. Thank you, though! This was so much fun!