What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Shakespeare

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1 comments I am trying to get my nephew to enjoy Shakespeare but alas he gives up stating the prose is just to "confusing/understandable" I have unable to move him to try. Is there an author/publisher that has published a series that have lets say translated his work and removed the prose approach? I know taking this style out of his works takes away from his works but it might help to get him to enjoy and then read the original works.

Thanks for any help

message 2: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 224 comments You could try this: The Shakespeare Book

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela | 433 comments No Fear Shakespeare has some really cool graphic novels that translate the dialogue into modern language. If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I looked at them), nothing's cut out from the dialogue either. You can have the play and the graphic novel side by side and refer back and forth very easily.

Unfortunately, they don't have a very extensive collection... The only plays they've done in this format are Hamlet, Macbeth, and Romeo and Juliet. Still, those are pretty much the "big three" tragedies, so they might be a good place to start from. :)

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments Shakespeare is meant to be seen or at least heard, just reading it is not easy. I suggest either watching some movie versions or at least checking out some audio versions of the plays. Personally I learned to love Shakespeare by listening to the plays as I read along.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Matthews Try Brendan Kelso he has adapted plays for children and the one I read was very funny. Maybe acting it out would be fun.

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill | 38 comments I took a Shakespeare class online and the instructor summarized the play and interspersed the lesson with scenes from BBC productions. This approach was very helpful. Reading a full plot summary of each scene helps you know what to expect, and then you understand the dialogue better.

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 390 comments Tales from Shakespeare, by Charles and Mary Lamb is one I enjoyed when young (~13). They adapt/abridge twenty or so of his most famous plays. It's out of copyright, so you can find it online and see if it looks suitable.

I'll also second the recommendations of watching movie versions. There are so many out there, many of which are good, and some truly excellent. Some are period setting, some are modern setting; some use Shakespeare's language, some just use the plot. You didn't say how old your nephew is, but if he's not too young, Kenneth Branagh's Henry V (1989; PG-13) might be appealing, what with the valor, and courage, and battle scenes.