CS115 - PLC Group 6 discussion

Week 7 PLC

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Rybakova | 10 comments Mod
"Do you think the school should provide courses teaching the teachers how to effectively use technology in their class? Why or why not? Would you be willing to take the courses?"

message 2: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Booth | 16 comments A course over teaching with technology would not be a bad idea. It could however be repetitive or not beneficial to teachers who have grown up as digital natives. If a course were to be provided to teachers, I believe it should be mandatory. It would be beneficial to teachers that feel they lack in that area or who have not grown up in the digital world. An argument to make it mandatory though could be that teachers may use it and think they are being effective with it, when in reality they are not. I am not saying just because someone grew up in the digital world that they would effectively use technology, but I do believe that they have a much better chance at being effective than someone who just does not understand technology. For me personally, I don’t know that I would elect to take a class on using technology in my classroom because I have grown up seeing it used in classrooms. I have observed what works and what does not work. I also have the basic knowledge that it takes to understand programs and do searches for appropriate and effective tools online. Again though there may be some benefit to me because maybe I would get to see technology from a new angle. I guess it would depend on where I felt my class and I were in relation to technology.

message 3: by Emily (last edited Oct 13, 2016 08:01AM) (new)

Emily McDevitt | 7 comments I believe that taking a courses to help teachers teach technology is a great idea. Personally I would love to take these classes because it is hard to try and teach kids technology these days because everything is so complex. Taking these courses will help breakdown ways on teaching and make it easier for me to teach the kids, so everyone is on the same page and no one is left clueless. It would also allow me as a teacher get more knowledge on technology. I know of teachers and myself who think we know a lot about technology but we always come across complications with our own technology.

message 4: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy | 24 comments I think schools should provide courses teaching the teachers how to effectively use technology in their class because how are we supposed to teach students how to use technology if we don’t know what to do. In order to teach students how to effectively use technology, teachers need to know how to effectively use technology. It’s also important to be well-versed in technology because as we progress through this century, technology is continuously evolving and is being integrated into classroom environments. Technology is being used in the classroom just about every day now and if we as teachers aren’t able to use this technology effectively, then we’re cheating students out of the education and skills they need to learn. Classes would also be helpful for the veteran teachers who haven’t necessarily grown up with technology, and need to learn more about it. We all need to adapt to these changing times and it’s important we stay on top of every new development that comes into the classroom. I would definitely be willing to take this course, especially if I’ll be able to take something from it, and integrate into my classroom. If I can learn something important that will also benefit my students, then I am more than willing to participate.

message 5: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy | 24 comments Katrina
You bring up a good point on how these classes could be repetitive for teachers who are digital natives, I didn't even think of that. But I also like how you brought up that as digital natives we still may not know everything about technology and how to use it effectively, hence why these sort of classes should be mandatory. All in all I thought your answer was well thought out and well-written. Your thoughts on the matter were also very interesting.