Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2017] 13th Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Oct 13, 2016 04:59AM) (new)

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
We're only two topics away from our final list!

Winners:
- A Time Travel book
- A book you choose randomly
- A book published outside of the top 4 publishing houses (Simon&Schuster, HarperCollins, Penguin Randomhouse, Hachette Livre)
- A book where one of the main characters is royalty (fiction or non-fiction)

Bottom:
- A book about entertainment/show business (i.e. Film, Music, Theatre, Media, etc. )
- A political thriller
- A book that you took with you while traveling out of town or to another person's house

Polarizing:
- A history of women
- A book you need to read (for work, for school, for your book club, a friend wants you to read a book, etc.)
- An audiobook

The final round of suggestions (a special "resubmit" poll) will open on Saturday October 15 at 8AM EST.

message 2: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments The winners are surprising, but I'm happy to see the random pick and the not 4 big publishers as I voted for them.

I'm fine with the 2 others, I've several time travel in my TBR and I probably have some royals too with the retellings and YA fantasy/dystopian books.

I'm pretty excited to see the last 2 winners, the final order and all the plans :D

message 3: by Francesca (last edited Oct 13, 2016 06:42AM) (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Only one of my top 4 made it which was the 'book where one of the main characters is royalty' which I'll be using to continue the Song of Ice and Fire series. (I voted for the 'book in which family ties are important' topic in a previous poll for the same reason because it would fit those books but, alas, it didn't make it in. I may use that for my 'topic that didn't make it' option but we'll see.)

I'm surprised at the other winners but I don't mind them. I'm sure I can find something to do with time travel and it'll be interesting looking for books outside the main publishers. I didn't vote for the 'book you choose randomly' because I felt it was very broad for the challenge (and we have a couple of similar topics) but I'm actually quite pleased that it made it in.

The bottom 4 don't surprise me and neither do the polarizing ones. I put the audiobook in my bottom 4, despite the fact that I actually quite like them, because I felt that limiting people to one format wouldn't be very fair as people may not have access to devices to listen to them on and audiobooks can be pretty expensive unless you're able to borrow them from somewhere/someone.

message 4: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments Huh. None of my top 4 made it, but I did consider time travel so that one is ok.

A book you choose randomly seems like a free choice to me because no matter how you do it, the choices are all books you wanted to read anyway.

The Publishing house one I will probably use a self-published author or one of my many many small publisher books. That isn't a challenge with my tbr.

Main character is royalty. I didn't pick that one because I have read a bunch of YA books this year with royalty in them. I don't hate this one I was just a bit tired of it.

One of my tops was in the bottom: the show business one. There are so many different subjects and genres that could have covered. I really am shocked it didn't do better.

The Polarizing books were all in my bottom four books so those don't shock me.

Ah well, moving on to next week.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I just realized that I only had 2 A Time Travel books on my TBR , one is the Outlander ( which I'm already going to use for one of our other topics) and the other one I can use is called Timebound, I just don't read time travel books, question A book published outside of the top 4 publishing houses (Simon&Schuster, HarperCollins, Penguin Randomhouse, Hachette Livre) where would you find out

message 6: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Elizabeth, for each book on Goodreads, when you go to the book page, the editor is mentioned under the description. The tricky thing is the US/UK editions as some books are published by a smaller publisher in one country and a top 4 in the other, so it's better to check the different editions. Most of the bestsellers authors and YA popular books are by the top 4.

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I'm excited that my suggestion for a book chosen randomly made it. I wasn't sure what people would think of that. I think it will be a fun, and I'll look forward to the progress post on this one to see what method people use to do their random selection. I think there are just so many ways to do it that could make it open/easy or a bit more restrictive (depending on the group of books you choose from), which is part of the fun of it.

I didn't vote for the publishing house prompt, but I think it's an awesome suggestion, so I'm excited about it.

I also didn't vote for the time travel one, but I have read quite a few time travel books, so it will be fun to look for one to read. I'll look forward to recommendations from the group on this one.

I really hoped the history of women one would make it, but I could see how it would be polarizing as it would be one that would lean more toward a nonfiction book.

I also loved the museum prompt one. I think I might work that in anyway somehow.

I can't believe we're almost done our list! I can't wait.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Zaz wrote: "Elizabeth, for each book on Goodreads, when you go to the book page, the editor is mentioned under the description. The tricky thing is the US/UK editions as some books are published by a smaller p..."

ok thinks for letting me , because I never pay attention to who the editor is

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I don't pay attention to that either, Elizabeth. I will have to start looking into it.

message 10: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1732 comments So, in essence, the book chosen randomly is a "reader's choice", similar to this year's #13, correct? But chosen in a random way. That's always welcome.

The publishing house twist sounds like a challenge. I'm looking forward to choosing something by a lesser-known publisher, maybe something by a Goodreads author.

My top 4 didn't make it, but only my pick of the political thriller showed up in the bottom. Better luck next time :))

message 11: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments Yay! Finally one of my suggestions made it to the top! I am so excited! :D

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Zaz wrote: "Elizabeth, for each book on Goodreads, when you go to the book page, the editor is mentioned under the description. The tricky thing is the US/UK editions as some books are published by a smaller p..."

so for A book published outside of the top 4 publishing houses (Simon&Schuster, HarperCollins, Penguin Randomhouse, Hachette Livre) a book published by a independent publishing service count for that topic

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole For the randomly chosen book, I'm going to do the ridiculous idea I posted in the Wild Discussion over a month ago:

"go to your library (or bookstore) go to stack #(birthday month), section #(birthday day) (count the small sections that the stacks/shelves are divided into further, which may lead you to another stack/shelf), and then pick the 5th book in that section."

message 14: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1732 comments Would something like Ecco (and other similar to it) count as part of the top 4? It's listed under the parent company of HarperCollins, but was founded in 1971 as an independent publishing company.

message 15: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1732 comments Nicole wrote: "For the randomly chosen book, I'm going to do the ridiculous idea I posted in the Wild Discussion over a month ago:

"go to your library (or bookstore) go to stack #(birthday month), section #(bir..."

Nice, Nicole!

message 16: by °~Amy~° (last edited Oct 13, 2016 09:37AM) (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments Nicole wrote: "For the randomly chosen book, I'm going to do the ridiculous idea I posted in the Wild Discussion over a month ago:

"go to your library (or bookstore) go to stack #(birthday month), section #(bir..."

Now THAT suggestion has possibilities. It would require some individual interpretation of what constitutes a stack and a section based on the layout of the library/bookstore (especially in smaller places) but it could work. I might try it out at my favorite used book store and my local library as a test run. :-)

message 17: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Stacey, it depends the publishing year of the book. According to wiki, they were bought in 1999, so before it I'd say it counts as non-top, but after it's a top4.

message 18: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 27 comments I didn't want the time travel book, but I have some in my library anyway so I'll have to read one of them ;-)
The three other topics are fine; I voted for two of them :-)

message 19: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments Just to be clear, if the book is published by other than those four, it fits in the category, even it is from a big publisher like Bloomsbury? ... although if I read it in Spanish, there are a lot of publishing houses that can fit :-P

message 20: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Naaaah you can't use the Spanish publisher if the English publisher is a top4 :p (we only have Hachette in France, not the 3 others). Bloomsbury isn't in the top4 so it's fine to use it.

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I love the creativity of that random idea, Nicole. I kind of want to do something crazy like that too.

message 22: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1732 comments Thanks for the clarification, Zaz. Yeah, that one won't work then.

On another note -- do you (or anyone else) know when the 2016 Goodreads Choice Awards are?

message 23: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Last year, the 1st round started on November 2nd, so this year it'll be around this date too.

message 24: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments Here is the page for the 2015 choice awards. There is a schedule on the left side. I would assume the 2016 schedule will be very similar.

www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-b...

message 25: by Elín Birna (new)

Elín Birna (elinbirna) | 114 comments Happy with the time travel making the top! I have to admit though that I'm a little frustrated with the four big publishing houses prompt making it, as it is only challenging for English speakers. I read in Icelandic and Swedish as well so I can basically choose any book published here. Or does it have to be a book originally published in an English speaking country?

message 26: by Marta (last edited Oct 13, 2016 02:28PM) (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments People don't like funny book titles?

message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 913 comments Marta wrote: "People don't like funny book titles? "

Look on the bright side, they didn't hate them either.

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2634 comments I'm very happy with most of the top 4. I'm glad a book about royalty made it in because I think it's pretty open to a wide variety of kinds of books, including historical fiction, fantasy, and lots of non-fiction.

I'm also happy about the time travel book making it in. I have a few in mind already that I'd like to read. I think the book outside of the top 4 publishers is very interesting, and it is something I voted for, but I think I'll need help finding options! I never pay attention to the publisher, and even when they are listed on GoodReads, I sometimes discover that they are just subsidiaries of the bigger companies, so I'm never sure.

The only one I'm not so happy with is the randomly chosen book, because to me, it's too similar to a free choice category. I prefer my challenge topics to have a bit more direction than that. No matter which way I think of to choose the book, none of them are truly random except for using a random number generator...but with my luck, that will give me a book in the middle of a series I haven't started yet.

I'm not too surprised about the bottom or the polarizing topics.

message 29: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 913 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm very happy with most of the top 4. I'm glad a book about royalty made it in because I think it's pretty open to a wide variety of kinds of books, including historical fiction, fantasy, and lots..."

I think we have 4 readers choice ones now. this random one .A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading. A book you meant to read in 2016 . A recommendation from "What Should I Read Next"

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2634 comments Jill wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I'm very happy with most of the top 4. I'm glad a book about royalty made it in because I think it's pretty open to a wide variety of kinds of books, including historical fiction, fa..."

I wouldn't necessarily consider What Should I Read Next completely Reader's Choice, but I think you could definitely make a case for it since we control what book we put in.

I see the book you meant to read in 2016 a bit differently, since for me, it was a book that was on my list for the challenge but got bumped off. Technically it's still "reader's choice" in the sense that I chose it myself, but it's at least a little more limited. A book I've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading wasn't really a category I wanted either...

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Well everything is technically a reader's choice; with some topics you just have more to choose from, haha. There are always ways to make the topics as easy or as difficult as we like. I tend to go pretty strict on the prompts. One way I thought of that makes the random one a little less like a freebie would be to pick 5 topics from the reject list, select a book for each of them and then randomly pick from those books.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2634 comments Katie wrote: "Well everything is technically a reader's choice; with some topics you just have more to choose from, haha. There are always ways to make the topics as easy or as difficult as we like. I tend to go..."

I was thinking of something similar, but it doesn't seem very random to choose from books that I've already chosen myself. Actually, I was thinking of asking someone else to choose 5 books at random off my TBR list (with some limits, like no middle books in a series unless they know I've read the first book) and pick one of those from a hat. That way, it's still a surprise what I get.

I agree with Katie that everything is technically a reader's choice, but I view some prompts as a lot more open than others, especially when the prompt is literally "reader's choice." As far as I remember, we don't have that for the upcoming year (yet?).

message 33: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Jill wrote: "Marta wrote: "People don't like funny book titles? "

Look on the bright side, they didn't hate them either."

I am going to randomly pick from my funny books. :)

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I love that idea, Rachel!

message 35: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Marta > I think we'll need a good list of ideas for the funny titles because I couldn't find one so I didn't vote for it ;)

About the "reader's choice" or similar prompts, they are necessary. On my side, I read around 105-120 novels per year since last year (on a reading scale, I know it's a lot), so half my reads are for the challenge. There are many books that can't be used for specific categories (try to fit a full series in a plan...) so it can be frustrating at some point because you have to choose between continuing the challenge or reading sequels or new popular books or a subject you are suddenly interested in, etc. With reader's choice categories, you can finally fit some of these books! We don't need lots of them but with 52 weeks, 2-4 of these categories along the year are nice :)

I'll use "random" to continue a series or read a collection of short stories (there are several I want to read but I never find time for them and no idea which one to pick first) and "what I should read next" as a recommendation for something new listed for a book I loved.

message 36: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 27 comments Zaz wrote: "About the "reader's choice" or similar prompts, they are necessary. On m..."

I totally agree, that is why I always vote for them...

message 37: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Marta wrote: "People don't like funny book titles? "

I like funny book titles but I couldn't think of any or find any in my list so I didn't vote for it.

message 38: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Zaz wrote: "Marta > I think we'll need a good list of ideas for the funny titles because I couldn't find one so I didn't vote for it ;)

About the "reader's choice" or similar prompts, they are necessary. On m..."

I do agree about the 'reader's choice' categories being necessary. I didn't vote for most of them because I felt it took away some of the challenge but I'm actually really glad they made it in because I think it's good to have so that it keeps people's options open and it stops people from possibly getting bored.

message 39: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments Elín Birna wrote: "Happy with the time travel making the top! I have to admit though that I'm a little frustrated with the four big publishing houses prompt making it, as it is only challenging for English speakers. ..."

According to Zaz (hail her words), if a book is published in any country by a top 4, you can't count it, even if your copy wasn't.

I initially didn't want this prompt because I thought it would take me too long to find a book, but I started looking out a few and it's really quick to see if a publishing company is owned by a top 4 (usually the first line of the wikipedia result give you the info, you don't even need to open the page).

message 40: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 913 comments I'm glad they made it also. Think it is good way to continue reading a theme that one of the more specific prompts has led you onto, but you might not necessarily have explored on your own.

message 41: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Francesca wrote: "Marta wrote: "People don't like funny book titles? "

I like funny book titles but I couldn't think of any or find any in my list so I didn't vote for it."

I posted a bunch on the suggestions thread. Maaybe I need to make a list!

message 42: by Marta (last edited Oct 14, 2016 06:31AM) (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Here, I made a list of funny book titles:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Please go and vote and add yours! I can only add 100 and those I came up with within 20 minutes... :)

Now you don't have an excuse any more. You know what I am suggesting again next time :)

message 43: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments Marta wrote: "Here, I made a list of funny book titles:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Please go and vote and add yours! I can only add 100 and those I came up with within 20 m..."

I added a few titles from my bookshelves that I felt were funny. The problem is, I'm not sure other people will find them as funny as I do. A lot of titles that I thought were funny were only funny because of the genre or the cover photo of the book itself, out of context, it's just words. So I didn't add those. Hope it helps, feel free to delete anything you don't find funny.

message 44: by Joann (new)

Joann I didn't realise when I suggested the funny book titles, there would be this much discussion on it :). There are a lot of cozy mysteries with some pretty funny titles.
I'll add some to your list!

message 45: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Amy, Joann - thanks for adding to it :) you can also vote for ones already there so what people like most will come on top!

Let's get those funny books on there :)

message 46: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Oct 14, 2016 11:18AM) (new)

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
Now that there's an off-topic thread for the prompt, it's probably better to keep the discussion there and in one place. Otherwise it gets somewhat repetitive. But if you have discussion specifically related to the results/2017 list then feel free to stay here :)

message 47: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 626 comments Rachel wrote: "The only one I'm not so happy with is the randomly chosen book, because to me, it's too similar to a free choice category. I prefer my challenge topics to have a bit more direction than that. No matter which way I think of to choose the book, none of them are truly random except for using a random number generat.."

My plan for this prompt is to use the random number generator to pick a book from my To Read list. Like how we did this year with the 17th book on your TBR shelf, just a bit more random.

I'm still batting 100 at not voting for the categories that won!

message 48: by Rachel (last edited Oct 14, 2016 03:33PM) (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2634 comments I can see where Reader's Choice prompts are helpful, but at the same time, I don't necessarily see why they need to be part of the challenge. If there's a book you want to read that doesn't fit any of the prompts, there's nothing against reading it anyway. I guess people are most concerned about the time pressure?

And to add on to Pamela's comment, one "rejects challenge" idea I had, for those who really want to go outside their comfort zone, is to make a challenge that consists of your bottom 4 categories for each week. I don't know if anyone would actually want to do that though since those are prompts they hated, but it would definitely by a challenge.

message 49: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Rachel, I thought I'd that same thing! I don't know if I would really want to do it, but it might be fun just to compile the list and see how it looks.

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Two of the ones I voted for made it, yippee! The other two were either my bottom 4 or ones that I didn't care either way.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.