Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > The Girl on the Train movie

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Who's seen it? What did you think? I liked the book OK, I thought it was pretty entertaining and I generally liked how the unreliable narrator was used. Still not sure about the movie. Some parts I didn't like at all (how it was set in the US but our main character still had a British accent). I'm not sure how interesting it would be as a stand alone movie. I think I was only interested in it in comparison to the book.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I thought the book was okay but better than the movie. Didn't love the move but thought it was pretty faithful to the book -just more boring.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments So wait for cable/Netflix?

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I think that it you loved the book you will probably like the movie too

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8519 comments Sometimes it's hard to enjoy the movie when you've read the book, because the mystery is already revealed. I wouldn't recommend the theater if you've read it...

message 6: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments It may have been more interesting if I didn't know who the bad guy was or what was really going on the whole time. I was watching I don't think they revealed what really happened until about 5 minutes to go in the movie. I think we found out in a different way too--but it's been a while since I read this.

There was also a terrible preview for a movie called Split that I would recommend avoiding (kidnapped teenaged girls, strange, extraordinarily creepy kidnapper with 'multiple personalities'). The coming attraction was too long for me.

message 7: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments It's been almost two years since I've read the book, so I was hoping to read the book again before seeing the movie. Love Emily Blunt, so I do plan on seeing it.

I remember the plot twist and the ending, so it won't be as thrilling if I didn't know. Sounds like pretty lukewarm reviews so far though, maybe I'll wait for a redbox.

message 8: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments We read it as a book club so we saw it as a book club. Overall review of the book was "meh" overall review of the movie was "meh".

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I felt meh about the book too. Pass!

message 10: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1308 comments I didn't like the book very much because I thought it was boring and predictable. I want to see the movie because I might like it more. I tend to like these types of stories in movie format more than I do book format.

message 11: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments The movie wasn't really suspenseful at all and I thought it was pretty boring actually.

message 12: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 422 comments Jen wrote: "I thought the book was okay but better than the movie. Didn't love the move but thought it was pretty faithful to the book -just more boring."

I agree. I loved the book and couldn't put it down. I found the movie to be a bit slow. A friend, however, saw the movie and loved it, but hadn't read the book. It might just depend upon the sequence of reading the book vs seeing the film.

message 13: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5801 comments I've spoken with two people who have seen the movie but never read the book and they both raved about the movie.