Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > How I Became a North Korean - Krys Lee - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments I was made aware of How I Became a North Korean by Krys Lee because it made the short list for first novels; http://centerforfiction.org/awards/th.... Posted at the ToB group site. So this year, I've read more current books than in any other recent year. I have already read The Girls and will be reading Homegoing next year and needed a book set in East Asia. This book is set in North Korea, China and some South Korea and a brief mention of California. It tells the story of three young people; Youngju, a young man from a prominent North Korean family, Jangmi, a young lady who has had to survive by any means and Danny a Chinese American teenager who doesn't fit anywhere.

So I read two of the books so far and I would rank The Girls first over this one but they are two different books and it doesn't even seem logical to compare them. I think The Girls has better writing and this book had more global information.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3813 comments I can't believe I haven't heard of this before. I'm always on the radar for modernized Korea fiction. Immediately put on my TBR. But it seems like 3 stories with a LOT of stuff going on- how did they fit it all into less than 300 pages?

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8535 comments Joi, did you read the Calligrapher's Daughter? I think that's the title. I read it about 2 years ago, its historical fiction with a modern component - I think. Simply loved it, and it was Korean themed.

message 4: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Koi--reviews are all over the place. Would love to read yours!

message 5: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Sorry, autocorrect, Joi

message 6: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3813 comments @Amy, It's been on my TBR for ages! I haven't read it yet, but It's been on my radar and keeps getting ignored for newer books.

@Kristel. I saw the reviews are all over! I put myself on hold at the library, so I should be getting a copy of this soon!