Play Book Tag discussion

The Wonder
This topic is about The Wonder
October 2016: Historical Fiction > The Wonder - Emma Donoghue - ★★★

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments The Wonder is the story of Anna O'Donnell, an eleven year old Irish girl who claims to have not eaten for four months. The story is told from the perpective of Lib Wright, an English nurse who was trained by Florence Nightingale. Lib has been employed by a committee who have formed in order to get to the bottom of Anna's story. Lib and another woman are hired to keep a strict watch over Anna for a fortnight, after which time they are to report back to the committee.

I did not love this novel. The story moves along very slowly, and I didn't feel a connection with any of the characters until near the end of the story. Religion is quite prominent in the novel, and athiest that I am I found that to be rather tedious. In saying that I did find that Donoghue's writing was atmospheric, however overall it wasn't enought to hold my interest. Ultimately I was bored. I read Room and loved it. Don't expect anything even remotely similar in this novel! I was hoping for the same emotional journey in The Wonder, but I didn't find it.

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1174 comments I was on the fence about this one- thanks for the review! I think I'll get it from the library.

Susie | 4488 comments I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I hope others will like it more than I did! It does get a lot of four and five star reviews.

message 4: by Ladyslott (last edited Oct 13, 2016 06:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I liked it a bit more than you, I rated it four stars for two reasons - it took me a long time to warm up to Lib and the ending was a little too neat - otherwise I would have rated it 5. It isn't as powerful as Room, but I was fascinated by the story of Anna.

Susie | 4488 comments I agree that ending was way too neat!

LibraryCin | 8037 comments Aw, that's too bad. I just added it to my tbr yesterday.

I'm glad to see Linda liked it a bit better, though.