Play Book Tag discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
October 2016: Historical Fiction > Miss Peregrine's Home For Perculiar Children - Ransom Riggs - ★★★★

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments I agonised over whether to put this review here or in 'other books' for October, but decided that given that some have tagged it as Historical I shall put it here.

Jacob's grandfather dies under suspicious circumstances, and he and his father travel to a small island off Wales chasing his past. What they first find is an abaondoned orphanage, but Jacob knows there is more to the story. He digs further, and magically finds Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, place where children who are different are hidden for their own safety.

I really enjoyed this book! It was a pleasant surprise as I wasn't sure that I would. I have had it sitting on my Kobo for ages but had decided that the print copy would be better as it contains a lot of photos. On impulse I bought a copy when I was buying books for my son, keeping it for the Fall Flurry Challenge as it fit the bill for a Halloween book for October. Once I started I couldn't put it down. My son said to me 'Mum, why are you obsessed with that book?'! I just had to know what was going to happen and it held my interest the whole way through. I loved the concept of 'peculiar children' being hidden to keep them safe, and I felt that it had wonderful magical quality, reminding me of when Alice fell down the rabbit hole. I can at times find the writing in YA novels to be overly simplistic and irritating, but I didn't get that feeling with Miss Peregrine's. I enjoyed the writing and felt a connection with the characters. It was a great, dark adventure story.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Tim Burton adaptation. I think his films are wonderful. I will continue reading the series, too.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Susie wrote: "I agonised over whether to put this review here or in 'other books' for October, but decided that given that some have tagged it as Historical I shall put it here.

Jacob's grandfather dies under..."

I read and enjoyed it last month but don't think I will go onto the next book. If my children were still at home instead of fledged, I would probably continue. I liked sharing books with them.

message 3: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I'm STILL on the hold list at the library for this! I think I'm down from #60-something to #23. Must be popular because of the movie.

Karin | 7206 comments I read this one but stopped after it. Liked but didn't love it.

LibraryCin | 8643 comments I also rated this 4 stars. I really enjoyed it. I didn't find the second book nearly as good, though it was ok.

annapi | 5071 comments I didn't realize there was a sequel! No wonder it ended the way it did.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I liked the book, but didn't love it, had no desire to read the sequel. But I will probably see the movie simply because it's Tim Burton.

Leah K (uberbutter) | 90 comments I enjoyed this book, read the other two in the trilogy and they were ok. Saw the movie - not bad as a movie but seriously diverges from the book...as usual.

message 9: by AJ (new) - rated it 1 star

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 825 comments I'm wanting to read this so I can go watch the movie. I am the kind of person that doesn't mind watching a movie after reading the book the majority of the time, even if they change things; but I don't like reading after watching because then I have the movie characters voices and faces in my head. I bought it on Kindle a few weeks ago, actually just need to buckle down and read it now.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments AJ wrote: "I'm wanting to read this so I can go watch the movie. I am the kind of person that doesn't mind watching a movie after reading the book the majority of the time, even if they change things; but I d..."

It's a really fast read.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I am glad that this is a fast read. I am just going to start this for my book club and I am starting late. But I am glad that most seem to like the book. I look forward to it.

Susie | 4488 comments I hope you enjoy it Diane.