Twilight (The Twilight Saga, #1) Twilight discussion

Almost Something

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KarmaSc0rpi0n (last edited Oct 14, 2016 08:34PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

KarmaSc0rpi0n When I look back at the series in pieces I can see something there, but when I look at the series overall there's not much to it. This is what I see as causing most of the difference in opinions between people because if it was just meaningless fluff (which it basically is by the end) no one would really a) care about it even if you're a romantic at heart or b) discuss it. It's talked about so vehemently because it's almost something. And what I mean by that is that it almost goes somewhere meaningful. Such as with New Moon, Bella has a complete melt down when Edward leaves and this makes sense because she built her entire future, ambitions, and support system around him, so when he leaves all of that's gone and she basically has to start to build her life from scratch. Depending on Jacob also makes sense because it's already been established she's a codependent character and there are going to be bumps along the way in recovery. And near the end ofNew Moon she almost gets to a point where she has to learn to be happy on her own after she nearly dies jumping off the cliff. I think it was in the truck when she almost kisses Jake her hallucination of Edward says "be happy" indicating that she was starting to let go and had Alice not shown up she would be happy, not necessarily with Jacob, but she would have had to start actually moving on without her Jacob or Edward crutch because she learned how dangerous chasing after the hallucination was and she couldn't cling to Jake because he couldn't be around 24/7 which is why she jumped off the cliff in the first place. But as it is, Alice shows up and by the end of the book she's back with Edward reversing all of that character development. The end of the book basically rendered the entire plot of New Moon useless because had all that not happened, the end of the book and what follows it would still be basically the same. Eclipse would only be missing a love triangle which wouldn't effect the plot in any way. You could read Twilight and Eclipse and it's still one cohesive plot, in fact a more cohesive plot.

In Breaking Dawn she makes Jacob and the werewolves useless to her story with imprinting because if you took them out the plot still works cohesively. They have no function other than to be Renesemee's wiping boys by the end of the book. And this is another instance of almost something because Jacob was developing a lot and the wolves were getting a little more interesting, but bam imprint, Jacob's development disappears and the wolves basically are just around to serve Renesemee.

So what are some other "almost something's" in the series you notice? Or do you think it is something? If so explain why.

message 2: by Olivia (new)

Olivia KarmaSc0rpi0n wrote: "When I look back at the series in pieces I can see something there, but when I look at the series overall there's not much to it. This is what I see as causing most of the difference in opinions be..."

well i would think almost all that been up there explans it all. cause ever since the whole thing between her and ed, jake then later on she became a vamp and had a kids, and everything else just like fell into place so to speak..