Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Trail of Tears: The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation
This topic is about Trail of Tears
Trail of Tears: The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation, by John Ehle

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Trail of Tears: The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation
Trail of Tears The Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation by John Ehle

GR synopsis:
The fascinating portrayal of the Cherokee nation, filled with Native American legend, lore, and religion -- a gripping American drama of power, politics, betrayal, and ambition.

B & W photographs

I am just starting this for my 2016 Topic Discard Challenge, a book about human or animal rights. This year I've committed myself to learning more about Alaskan and Native American issues and history. Ehle's book comes highly recommended so I thought I would give it a try.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments This was a very interesting and depressing read. I think this is one of those historical events that our American History classes "wash over" and mention as little as possible, and give as few details as they can. It's truly horrific what happened, and even more so how we as Americans try to pretend like it never happened. I think I learned more from this one book than I did through the numerous years of American History classes I've taken in my life.

The content of the book is great, but the delivery system is very scholarly. It felt like reading peer-reviewed articles.

3/3