Jane Austen Read A Long discussion

Pride & Prejudice > Pride & Prejudice Adaptations

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bookishrealm (new)

Bookishrealm | 40 comments Mod
What are some of your favorite Pride & Prejudice adaptations? It can books, music, movies, etc. Anything that reminds you of Pride & Prejudice.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 23 comments Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth! Love the Mr. Collins in that version.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer The BBC miniseries is definitely the best. I saw that on A&E way back in 2001, which is why I picked up the book. I kinda like the first Bridget Jones movie too. The Keira Knightly version is not as faithful as it should be to the original.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 23 comments Jennifer wrote: "The BBC miniseries is definitely the best. I saw that on A&E way back in 2001, which is why I picked up the book. I kinda like the first Bridget Jones movie too. The Keira Knightly version is not a..."

I agree about the KK version. That theater-length movie can't compare with the miniseries, which was able to include so many details.

message 5: by Alicja (new)

Alicja P (novelsallnight) I know almost everyone will disagree with me but I love the Kiera knightly version! I know the BBC version is more true to the original and I like that version too but the KK version is my favorite

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I don't hate that one. I hate the 1940 Greer Garson version, especially the end.

message 7: by Bookishrealm (new)

Bookishrealm | 40 comments Mod
I lovveeeee the Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle adaption. It was just perfect for me; however, I really loved the music of the 2005 adaption with KK if that makes any sense haha!

Tara (box5angel) (bizzeereading) | 2 comments I haven't seen the BBC one but I have seen tbe '04 version, and I love it.

message 9: by Miya (new)

Miya (miyac) The Lizzie Bennet Diaries! I've seen it about 10 times by now, but it's so good every time.

message 10: by Anna Kay (new)

Anna Kay (annakaybooks) Jennifer wrote: "I don't hate that one. I hate the 1940 Greer Garson version, especially the end."

Oh my gosh, that one's awful! It's like watching a Gone With the Wind ripoff, the costuming is a train wreck. And that ending is outstandingly bad. There's a super cute one that's a modern retelling from 2003 with Kam Heskin and Orlando Seale, it was produced by some Latter-Day Saints people; but religion doesn't enter into it too much and I could never really tell. :) I recommend it though and it's free on Amazon Prime.

message 11: by Alicja (new)

Alicja P (novelsallnight) I just watched the retelling that's on amazon prime yesterday because you mentioned it, super cute :)

message 12: by Alicja (last edited Nov 13, 2016 05:51PM) (new)

Alicja P (novelsallnight) has anyone read Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld? it's a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice.... I just bought a copy today and plan on reading it when I finish Pride and Prejudice. was wondering what people thought of it or if they've read it.

message 13: by Joanna (new)

Joanna  (joreadsalot) | 2 comments I kind of liked Bride and Prejudice. The Kiera Knightly one was ok but the music was good in that one so I know what Ashley means there. There was a BBC I tried watching but I don't remember ever finishing it cause it bore me to tears. I may try again though cause I was younger when I tried watching that. I may enjoy it more now.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan | 23 comments Alicja wrote: "has anyone read Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld? it's a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice.... I just bought a copy today and plan on reading it when I finish Pride and Prejudice. was wondering ..."

I gave in 5 stars and wrote

Curtis Sittenfeld has cleverly moved the characters and plot of Pride and Prejudice to the 21st Century.

The 'will-they-won't-they' aspects of the Jane + Bingley and Liz + Darcy relationships remain.

The Bennets are slightly more wack-a-doodle. Mary becomes a more interesting woman in Sittenfeld's version, and Mr. Bennet is even wittier; he refers to love as "a condition that's acute, not chronic."

Most of the supporting characters appear, including my favorite, Mr. Collins, who is every bit as tedious, but in a modern way.

A person unfamiliar with Pride and Prejudice could enjoy this novel, but Austen fans have the added fun of wondering whether Sittenfeld will include and adapt specific incidents. Will Liz unexpectedly meet Darcy at his family estate? Will Lydia elope?

Lauren - SERIESous Books (seriesousbookreviews) I just watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie yesterday and really enjoyed it. I had read the book years ago and loved it.

I think it's just a fun take on such a classic story. I think people more familiar with the classic story will get all the little allusions and parallels but it is still an interesting way for people who may be intimidated by the classic to get exposure to it.

message 16: by Paget (new)

Paget Lauren - SERIESous Book Reviews wrote: "I just watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie yesterday and really enjoyed it. I had read the book years ago and loved it.

I think it's just a fun take on such a classic story. I think peop..."

I have the book Pride and Prejudice and Zombies but I haven't read it yet. Hopefully I will find the time soon.