Science and Inquiry discussion

Self-Promotion (Authors) > Earth science for kids

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judith (new)

Judith Hubbard | 10 comments Hi, I'm Judith Hubbard, a geology professor and earthquake researcher.

My husband and I are both scientists, and as a result, our kids are turning into little science nerds. Our home library of science books for kids is probably one of the largest in a 500 mile radius (although, granted, we live in the nation-state of Singapore, so this isn't such a huge accomplishment).

As my son got older, I discovered that kids are capable of learning much more than I'd expected. I decided to take the science stories that I teach in college lecture halls into books for kids. Although my beta tester is only 6 years old, these books are probably best for ages 8-14. Since the content is college-level science, adults can learn a lot from them, too.

My favorite part of geology is how it is focused not on a technique, but on a desire to learn about the Earth. Geology borrows from all other fields - chemistry, physics, mathematics, biology, history, computer science - and uses ideas and concepts from all of these to tell stories about the Earth.

So without further ado, please check them out:

Earthquake Science (In Depth Science Book 4) by Judith Hubbard Earthquake Science (I am currently running a Goodreads Giveaway for a color print edition of this book!)

Plate Tectonics The engine inside the Earth by Judith Hubbard Plate Tectonics: The engine inside the Earth

What's so cool about mountains, anyway? by Judith Hubbard What's so cool about mountains, anyway?

What are diamonds, and how do they form? (In Depth Science, #1) by Judith Hubbard What are diamonds, and how do they form?

My current work is progress is: Earth's Changing Climate. Look for it in November!

I periodically offer the books for free on Kindle. To learn about giveaways or hear about new releases, you can sign up for my newsletter on my website. You will also find extensive descriptions of my research, including links to scientific articles, videos, and a full documentary featuring my research in Nepal.

https://sites.google.com/site/juditha...

I'd be happy to answer questions about books and/or my favorite science topic - earthquakes!

message 2: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1669 comments Mod
Judith, I'm so glad you are writing science for kids. We need to get children indoctrinated to science much earlier than we do now. Last year I participated in a kickstarter campaign for a children's picture book on evolution, Grandmother Fish, which is charming, though it may be too young for your six-year old. But I noticed on Kickstarter there seemed to be several science books targeted at young people. A hopeful sign I think.

One suggestion, you might want to include the target age range in your book descriptions. Since I don't have any children of my own, I sometimes have difficulty judging what's appropriate for what age. But I have some great nieces (ages 10 and 7) that I'd like to gift with books if they are not too advanced or too basic.

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith Hubbard | 10 comments Hi Betsy,

I was just looking at Grandmother Fish yesterday - what a coincidence!

The target age range is a great idea. It's on the Amazon site, but I'll make sure that that information is listed on the Goodreads sites as well. For reference, the books are written for 8-14 year olds, so they should work for your great nieces.

message 4: by Judith (new)

Judith Hubbard | 10 comments Hi all - I'm currently giving away the Kindle edition of my book What are diamonds, and how do they form? on Amazon.

Here's the description - please take a look!

Have you ever seen a diamond, and wondered where it came from?

To discover the answer, you will zoom in to the atomic scale to see how atoms bond, dive into the Earth's mantle to explore temperature and pressure, and get carried back up to the surface in a special volcanic eruption. This is real, cutting-edge science, written for kids! Best of all, bring the science alive with the activities at the end of the book: grow your own crystals, experiment with melting temperatures, and discover what really drives volcanic eruptions.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 629 comments Got it. Thanks!

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 629 comments Earthquake Science by Judith Hubbard is a kids book (8 - 10) but I enjoyed it & learned a lot. I gave it a 4 star review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...