Great Expectations Great Expectations discussion

Your favorite Classics

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tricia McBride Spaeth I am in a book club and we usually read current best sellers or books suggested to the group. I do love to throw in a classic book to read. Any suggestions. I have read several in my life from grade school up to present day. Just interested in what people loved to read in the Classic group. I actually read Great Expectations in high school, but I had to put in a book for the discussion.

Tricia McBride Spaeth I have reread Wurthering Heights again as an adult vs a high school assignment. Total enjoyed it. Looking for Classic suggestions.

Sheila Does Henry James count as a classic writer? I personally really enjoyed The Turn of The Screw. Especially at this time of year. Horror/mystery/psychology - lots to talk about there.

Tricia McBride Spaeth Good suggestion

message 5: by Ann, without an e. (last edited Oct 18, 2016 07:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann, without an e. Great Expectations is my favorite classic. I read it in high school literature class and loved it which surprised me because I was not much of a reader back then. I intend to read it again this Christmas season.

Tricia McBride Spaeth AAnnieC wrote: "Great Expectations is my favorite classic. I read it in high school literature class and loved it which surprised me because I was not much of a reader back then. I intend to read it again this Chr..."

Tricia wrote: "Good suggestion" I agree, reading a book as an adult because you want to read it vs a 9th grade assignment is a totally different experience. Good idea to re-read it during Christmas.

message 7: by Teo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teo Del I personally really enjoyed Anna Karenina and most of Dickens' works. If you're looking for another book by him I would recommend Bleak House or Oliver Twist if you haven't read it yet.

Steve Downes can't beat Dickens for reading a great classic novel, Christmas Carol is always my favourite but Great Expectation is probably the better written book

message 9: by Asmita (last edited Oct 25, 2018 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Asmita Great Expectations is a great book. I suggest my top 6 favourite classics below. Hope you like it :
1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
2. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
3. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak ( I guess it counts as a modern classic.)
5.Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
5. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
6. Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens

Kailee Lis My favorite classics definitely include Frankenstein, Great Expectations, and The Great Gatsby (if it can be considered a classic)

Kathy B Tale of Two Cities
Pride and Prejudice
Great Expectations
The Time Machine
Dracula
I, Claudius

message 12: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.
The Call of the Wild by Jack London.
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

message 13: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I love anything by Charles Dickens and Jane Austen. I immensely enjoyed The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins and I never get tired of reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith; I'd recommend it to anybody. And of course, Anne of Green Gables will always have a special place in my heart.

message 14: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick Bleak House
by Charles Dickens

It has always been recognized as one of Charles Dickens' litrary masterworks,.

BBC Video
Screenplay by Andrew Davies.

Angelique Nguyen Three classics I've really enjoyed reading are:

Slaughterhouse-Five (Kurt Vonnegut)

1984 (George Orwell)

Candide ou L'Optimiste (Voltaire) - I haven't finished this one to the end yet, but I've really enjoyed the ride so far

Ronish Baxter Hollywood Twist
Othello
Tale of two cities

Becky Clarke Great Expectations is one of my favorites! I love Wuthering Heights, Vanity Fair and Dracula. Crime and Punishment is also one of my favorites! But for a book club Therese Raquin by Emilie Zola is amazing and quite short!