Romance Writers & Readers discussion

Other "Serious" Stuff > Let's talk about marketing!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Hamm (emma_hamm) | 22 comments Okay I'll definitely be the first person to admit that I'm NOT the best at advertising. As in, I'm pretty terrible at it. I have 3 books published and hadn't even considered talking to review blogs until now. which is.... yeah on me.

I've read books on it, I've seen what other people do, and it's still all a little bit hazy.

Email Blasts sound like a good idea
Giveaways on Facebook (didn't really work for me, other than a money sink)
Facebook ads
Word of mouth from other authors
Goodreads giveaways (again, not a lot much happened other than people putting it on their to read list)

I'm curious to see what other people are doing, what works, what doesn't, and how you get over the marketing blues!

message 2: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 2365 comments Mod
Ooooh! Great topic!! Get ready for a looong comment LMAO!!!

Okay. 8 weeks ago, I'd never considered book blogs at all. Then I received this PM:

Hey there, Annie!

I was just curious if you've heard of The Boyfriend Bookmark? A few years ago my wife was super into the new adult/erotica/romance genre and she and her coworker started that blog. Eventually it became too much work for my wife so she backed out, but her friend still runs it if I'm not mistaken. I think the blog still has a pretty decent following. If you haven't asked her to read/review your book yet, you should check it out. I apologize in advance if you already know about this or have already contacted them OR if it's not really the right place for your book. Just popped into my head and I thought I'd put it out there.

Have a good day!! :)

[Awesome dude who write SciFi]

Well, I submitted a review request to The Boyfriend Bookmark and never got a reply. No biggie. However, anyone who knows me knows darn well the moment I get an idea in my head to do something, it's gonna happen. NOW. And full-force haha! Sooo, within the next month, I submitted review requests to approx. 100 blogs. Just a few things I made sure to do, though...

1) Specifically sought out romance blogs
2) NOT spam them with a copy/paste canned email
3) Carefully read their review policies and submission guidelines
4) Followed #3 down to a tee

RESULTS:

~ Accepted by 40+ of them. 15 reviews received so far.
~ Referrals to multiple other blogs, who ASKED to review my book. Seriously?
~ Invited to do a takeover in a group with nearly 3K members. Sandwiched between Aleatha Romig and Vi Keeland. Seriously???
~ Invited to do interviews and guest posts.
~ Made some wonderful blogger friends who are helping not only me but any group events we hold.

Okay, I'm rambling now cuz I absolutely adore bloggers like Misses Dianne, Elle, and Haddie!! Onto other promo stuff...

~ I've done a couple Amazon Giveaways but only during group events. These are not intended to benefit me at all. They're meant to help all of you cuz I put a link to the event in the "Sorry, you didn't win" page and invite the losers to download all YOUR books... *sneaky smirk*

~ I plan to do a GR giveaway in the next couple weeks just cuz I'm curious.

~ I tried paid promos for the first time on Saturday. HIGHLY recommend ENT.

Ehhh, I think this is really long, eh? I'm not even proofing it so...yeah. Sorry? ^_~

Hugsss,
Ann

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Oh man, I'm not the best at marketing either, but I do try my best. I think that's all anyone can do. Do your best and what you're comfortable with.

I've done GR giveaways, not really sure how well that helped me. Not many sales, but a few afterwards.

I love Twitter! I don't promote my book all the time, I sprinkle it here and there. I like to tweet random things, maybe about my day, something silly my girls said, anything baseball like, you know, things I like and enjoy. I've heard being personable helps sell rather than "buy my book!".

I do FB, but not as often as Twitter, and sometimes I forget to check it. Very bad, but it's not my thing.

I also like to blog (and then tweet out my blog post and it's linked to GR). I blog about anything and everything. Writing, crafts, baking, events...just another way to show who I am and what I love. You can even see a little bit of me in each of my books. If you know me well enough, I'm sure you could figure out which things scream "oh, that's so Amanda".

I've done Amazon giveaways. I've gained Twitter followers that way, and even a few sales every now and then. Not every time I do a giveaway though.

I have sent requests to book blogs, but slowly. Like Mistress Ann said (in another post), it's hard to put yourself out there. I'm getting better at this one and so many wonderful bloggers out there that I'm not sure why I hesitated. *smiles*

I also try to be active in GR groups.

I've also done an interview before and always willing to do those.

Oh, and mailing lists....don't get me started. I'm trying to get that set up, but it just doesn't want to be my friend. *starts to cry*

I think that's about everything I've tried. I don't think it hurts to try something new:) You might not get results, but then again, you might.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Hamm (emma_hamm) | 22 comments Okay since ya'll had long posts now I feel like I should add mine. :P

AHEM. *clears throat*

So I just tried a Goodreads giveaway to see what happened there. Results? EH. So about 640 people entered the giveaway for 5 books. Out of 640, around 272 added my book to their to read list. There's really no way to know how many of those people will actually read the book, but only (maybe) one of them has actually left a rating. So I'd say that wasn't super duper helpful?

I've done Facebook ads from my facebook page, but they really only do well if you're giving something away. I gave away a book, and had a ton of people respond. But none of them liked the page, and I'm not sure that anyone actually went out and bought the book afterwards.

Now I tested out a quick little "party" for my newest release. I gave away bookmarks, magnets, posters, mugs, and free books annnnnnd quickly realized that the only people who attended were those who already read my books. As much as I love giving away free stuff, I gave free stuff to the people who automatically buy my books and therefore, lost sales.

So I'm now of the thought that minimal giveaways is a good idea to make it special, but also not to shoot oneself in the foot.

@Annie - Paid promos through blogs, facebook, or all of the above? I've seen them around in a lot of places and have always been curious about it!

@Amanda - Putting yourself out there is the hardest part I think! There's a certain safety in not marketing your book because the people who manage to stumble upon it usually do actually like it. But, gotta do it cause that's the name of the game I guess?

message 5: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Clear as mud, eh? Haha! I was talking about paid promo sites like Bargain Booksy and Book Gorilla.

ENT (Ereader News Today) gave me great results on Saturday. 150 copies sold vs. just 28 and 30 the two days prior (discounted to $0.99)

There's a list of promo sites somewhere in our discussion thread for the event last Saturday. You got dig for it yourself, though, cuz I'm on my phone... *grins sheepishly*

Hope that helps!!

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe I am also no good at marketing and promoting, but I'm trying and learning more and more every day!

So . . .

I have never done an amazon or goodreads giveaway.

I do have twitter but don't use it all that much, I mainly tweet when I have a book sale going on.

I do have a Facebook author page and profile, and I have found this to be a good way to network with other authors, plus I've joined lots of Facebook groups where you can promote your books, which I usually only use if I have a sale going on.

I have just started approaching bloggers, and I have to say this has been super helpful!! Not only do you get a review, but you can build fabulous relationships with them and I've already talked with a couple about doing guests posts and giveaways and things when I release my next book in January. I have also had sales immediately following reviews being posted on blogs.

If you ever have books free for a few days then I can totally recommend Books Butterfly. When we did our promo event a few days ago I decided to use BB to promote my free book, which was the first in a series, only two published so far, and then put book two on a $0.99 sale. BB has a number of different packages you can purchase, and after waffling over whether or not to use them for like two weeks, I finally decided to and chose my package and I have to say it was well worth the money!! Over my books 5 free days, I have had 2740 free downloads, my book made the top 100 in all of its categories, and reached #119 in the free store. I have also already had 48 purchases of book two.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 96 comments In case you all want to do a group read and see if you can get some good marketing strategies from it, here's a free book on marketing. I've read through it, and it's worth getting into.

Book Marketing is Dead http://amzn.to/2dxO0kP

Haven't read this one yet, but this guy's considered a great teacher of book marketing.

Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book http://amzn.to/2dLfyX9

They're both free, so everyone can get a copy and pick a chapter or two, though the first book is best read in order.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Jane wrote: "I am also no good at marketing and promoting, but I'm trying and learning more and more every day!

So . . .

I have never done an amazon or goodreads giveaway.

I do have twitter but don't use i..."

Amazing stats, Princess Jane! So so amazing:)

message 9: by Amanda (last edited Oct 13, 2016 06:09AM) (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Kathy wrote: "In case you all want to do a group read and see if you can get some good marketing strategies from it, here's a free book on marketing. I've read through it, and it's worth getting into.

Book Mar..."

Thanks, Kathy:) It's always nice to get another persons perspective. And who can pass up free...

Edit: Actually, I just clicked on the second book and that one is listed at $5.99 on Kindle.

message 10: by Kathy (last edited Oct 13, 2016 07:26AM) (new)

Kathy Golden | 96 comments Amanda wrote: "Kathy wrote: "In case you all want to do a group read and see if you can get some good marketing strategies from it, here's a free book on marketing. I've read through it, and it's worth getting in..."

Thanks for letting me know. The freebie status must have run out on that one. I know Tim Grahl, the author, offers lots of free info on promoting books. I'll see what I can find.

Derek's book is very direct, and he even says some authors won't like his advice, but once people who really wants to sell more books reads it, they can't help but want to put some of the things in action. Several of his suggestions this group is already implementing. The goal, of course, would be sell a large volume of books on autopilot. The way to do this is one of the main focuses of his book.

message 11: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 123 comments To you ladies getting success with book blogs, I'm super jealous! I've been sending mine in but I've had no luck so far. Most don't reply, and the ones that have said that they won't review. I'm at the point where I've submitted to the ones I've found, and don't know how to find anymore. I think I might be a hopeless case, alas. :/

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Siegrist (amandasiegrist) Aislinn, don't get discouraged. I've submitted to quite a few book blogs and I don't always get responses and I've also received "this just doesn't sound like my kind of book". I say thank you and move on. That's all you can do. Keep at it. It's never easy, but that's why we're here to help you stay positive.

*bakes some yummy cookies*

message 13: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 123 comments Thank you, Amanda! I'm trying to stay positive. :)

Speaking of, does anyone have a list of romance book bloggers/reviewers? I think it would be a great thing to have. I'm wasting so much time just searching for them!

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 96 comments I get tons of emails from this site about books they've reviewed or books they're supporting. You might give them a try.

https://twooneclickchicks.wordpress.c...

Also, here's a list I came across while searching for some bloggers for a friend.

http://authormarketingclub.com/member...

In the Making Connectins GR group, this blogger just posted about 23 hours ago for authors to contact her about their books.

https://kissatmidnight.wordpress.com/

That MC group is huge. You might find other possibilities there.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 15: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 123 comments Thanks, Kathy! That's a great help :)

message 16: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

@Miss Aislinn: Okay, I gotta say that is super duper strange cuz I reckon our blurbs should elicit the same amount of interest. In fact, your books have a definite edge cuz the whole military vet hero thing is currently on the rise...

*smiles wide*

May I ask what you write in your query letter? Cuz that makes a HUGE difference, imho. Here's what one blogger said in a review of my book:

I’ll be totally honest with y’all. (Like I’m ever anything but, right?) I only read this book because the author sent me a lovely, charming query letter and the blurb was intriguing. That’s it. I didn’t look at the cover, I didn’t read a sample like I usual do, I didn’t check out any of the reviews. So, if any of you authors don’t see the value in producing a good query letter and a good blurb, let this be a lesson to you. But I digress.

Now, she didn't totally love my book but that ain't the point. That's still pretty cool, right?

I am NOT implying you don't submit great queries cuz that would be a dbag thing to do and I have no clue what you write in them anyway hahaha! I don't believe in hopeless cases, though. It typically takes only a few small changes to see results. And I KNOW you can figure it out. ^_~

Encouraging hugs,
Ann

P.S. - Thanks again, Miss Kathy! You're an awesome possum!!

message 17: by Kathy (last edited Oct 13, 2016 11:23AM) (new)

Kathy Golden | 96 comments You're welcome. Did anyone in this group offer their books for possible reviews through this GR group:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I'm also going to share this link:

http://melanierockett.com/directory-o...

If anyone gets some positive results from any of these, let me know.

message 18: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 123 comments @ Annie

Haha thanks. And here I was worrying that maybe Military heroes were passe...;)

Well, to be honest, I just try to get straight to the point. I introduce myself, ask if they want to review the book, and then give them whatever they asked for in their submission guidelines.

I'm terrified of wasting their time writing any more! But maybe that's what I have to do to stand out?

I have tried two different versions of the blurb, just for interest. The short and the long version, which both give off different vibes. But that hasn't seemed to have made much of a difference.

Maybe in the next batch I'll try telling them a little more about the book or something. It can't hurt!

message 19: by Annie, The Mistress (last edited Oct 13, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Military heroes are da bomb diggity!!

*fist bump*

Okay, I found this thread for ya cuz it might help and I'm too lazy to repeat myself LOL

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Message 8 is my semi-productive rant on submitting to blogs haha! Hope that helps a bit!!

Hugs,
Ann

EDIT: How many blogs have you submitted to? My immediate acceptance rate is only about 35%. The rest trickle in later, eh?

message 20: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 123 comments Haha glad to hear it! I'm rather fond of them. ;)

Thanks for the thread! I'm pretty certain I'm following all those rules, but you never can be sure how you are coming off to other people. I'll keep trying!

Oh, only about 30 so far. I've had one say they would review it, one rejection, and radio silence from the rest. I stalled when I couldn't immediately find more blogs to submit to. I once heard Jen Frederick/Jane Litte say that she submitted to 200 blogs when she was starting out. That was my aim, but I think it might be a bit ambitious for me! (I'd rather just write the next one!)

message 21: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

No problemo, Miss Aislinn!

Yeah, I'm gonna guess I'm up to 120 now? But the first 100 was a blitz. I literally set aside roughly an hour aside every night for over a week and submitted to 10 blogs each time. Rinse. Repeat. My eyeballs were so dang dry by the end LOL.

I don't think it should actually take that long but I also spend time perusing each blog to 1) make sure I fit their preferences and 2) cuz I think it's the respectful thing to do vs just being like, "Ooh! Romance blog. Copy/paste. Submit." Yeah, I just can't bring myself to do that hahaha!!

Hmm. Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of networking. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Besides, there are other perks too. Bloggers know other bloggers, right? I've gotten a handful of "reverse" review requests where my contact referred me to another blog that asked to read my book. Now THAT is the shizznit right there!!

But, you're totally right! It definitely takes a bit of elbow grease and determination. And, yeah, I hear ya. Most authors would prefer to just keep writing and that's totally okay too. Different strokes for different folks, eh?

message 22: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 123 comments Yeah, I've been doing it every night this week. I'm exhausted!

And I'm definitely the same as you. I try to get a sense of their tastes and such. I did send a copy to a reviewers saying something like "I don't think my hero will be quite alpha enough for you, but you never know". Haha. Since Romantic Suspense is one of those hit/miss subgenres, I do try to make sure it's a thing they've at least featured in the past.

I'm an introvert, so networking is exhausting for me. And since I have to be charming and lovely all day at work, I just don't wanna once I get home. But I DEFINITELY see the value in it. I wish I had the energy for it.

At least writing is just me, myself, and I with my silence. Much more pleasant. ;)

message 23: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

(Pinned thread and changed title cuz...reasons. Great topic, Miss Emma!!!)

message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 96 comments Anyone can submit a book at Readers Review Room. They don't post on Amazon, but they share the review on FB and Twitter. No review is guaranteed. They have lots of reviewers and if one of them likes your book, it gets reviewed.

http://readersreviewroom.com/top-10-f...

message 25: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Oops, I totally didn't mean to post all over you hahaha!! Sorry!!!

Yeah, marketing is a tricky thing cuz different stuff works for different people. I actually cringe when I hear an extrovert to say, "Just do this! It's so easy!!" cuz it ain't that simple to an introvert, right?

With that said, I truly believe each and every individual has superpower-level strengths. Only gotta find them, step outta your comfort zone and exploit them to the max ^_~

I'm excited to see what strategies you come up with to work for you, Miss Aislinn. I reckon it'll help lots of other introverts too!!

**muahhh**

message 26: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Oh, and I totally forgot!!

http://www.theromancereviews.com

It's like a mini-GR for romance haha!

message 27: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 123 comments Thanks ladies!

I better get back to it. ;)

message 28: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Amanda wrote: "Amazing stats, Princess Jane! So so amazing:)"

Thanks, Queen Amanda, I was super happy with the results!!

message 29: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Kathy wrote: "In case you all want to do a group read and see if you can get some good marketing strategies from it, here's a free book on marketing. I've read through it, and it's worth getting into.

Book Mar..."

Thanks for sharing, Kathy!

message 30: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Aislinn wrote: "Yeah, I've been doing it every night this week. I'm exhausted!

And I'm definitely the same as you. I try to get a sense of their tastes and such. I did send a copy to a reviewers saying something ..."

Definitely keep working away at reaching out to blogs, I also write romantic suspense, and I've heard back from about 80% of blogs I submitted to and only had two no's, and one was because the blogger doesn't read dark and disturbing books, but offered to review for me if I ever wrote anything lighter. So there are definitely lots of blogs out there that will review romantic suspense.

It is a lot of work, but totally worthwhile, and definitely let a bit of "you" into your queries because it totally helps in building relationships with them, and then you'll have super awesome bloggers to approach when you're ready to release your next book!

Good luck and let us know how you go, only if you want to share of course!

message 31: by Marina (new)

Marina Lovechild | 124 comments PR truly is a job in itself...

One thing I can share is that it's easier to get people to make a quick post about your book when it's on sale or is just released rather than give it a review. It's understandable. It takes a lot of time and energy to read and review a book.

So a little note to myself: For my next book I am definitely going try to ask blogs and pages post about it on its release day rather than just release it into the ether without anyone knowing about it.

If I understand correctly, you can also put your book up on pre-order on amazon and if you find bloggers kind and interested enough to read the book before release (sending them an ARC), you can release your book with a few reviews already up, which I can imagine is necessary if you want sales for the promos you're getting.

...Does that make sense? It feels as though I'm rambling, haha :)

And just like Annie, I think 35% of wonderful reviewers reply to the emails I've sent out as well. A few of them have replied after a few weeks though, so give it time. They're just really busy :)

Another tip: There are a lot of holidays coming up, so many reviewers might be busy with family.

Lovely tips in this thread, by the way!

message 32: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 123 comments Marina wrote: "PR truly is a job in itself...

One thing I can share is that it's easier to get people to make a quick post about your book when it's on sale or is just released rather than give it a review. It's..."

Hi Marina!

I agree with you about the ARCs. That's what I'm sending out now. We'll see how it goes. I did try a book tour company for my first book that had various blogs post about it on the lead up to release day. It had no effect whatsoever. I had a giveaway and everything! But as far as I can tell it didn't get me any sales or reviews. I hope it works out better for you than it did for me!

And Jane! Wow 80% is amazing odds. Nice work! (And I'll take your advice and try to inject a little more personality next time. ;) )

message 33: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Aislinn wrote: "And Jane! Wow 80% is amazing odds. Nice work! (And I'll take your advice and try to inject a little more personality next time. ;) )"

I was super lucky with those results!!

message 34: by Annie, The Mistress (last edited Feb 04, 2017 10:21AM) (new)

Okay, kiddos. I reckon you want 80% success like our lovely Princess, eh? Well, there's a teeny tiny little secret...

Submit to blogs who've already accepted other authors (me, for example) in your same genre.

That shall garner ya much better acceptance rates as well. Good luck and report back with other blogs too cuz if we ALL share then we ALL benefit, right? Riiight?? ^_~

Hugs,
Ann

EDIT: Ehhh, ignore the link to Emma's review. She's not a blogger. I just loved the review too much not to share it with my readers LMAO!! Thanks, Miss Emma **muahhh**

EDIT #2: This goes without saying, but pleeease still read each individual blog's review policy and guidelines. Thank youuu!!!

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma Hamm (emma_hamm) | 22 comments BAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh my gosh I didn't see you linked my review. *puffs up* I would totally be a book reviewer if I had more time!

Thank you everyone for all the ideas! This is a totally awesome discussion that I can't add too too much yet to because it was a long day BUT I will reply soon with more stuff that I have up my sleeeve. :P

message 36: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

@Miss Emma: Yeah, your review is totally my fave! Don't get me wrong cuz I love ALL reviews and have gotten some squeal-worthy ones but yours was on my exact wavelength. We be vibing... (I do NOT talk like this in real life! I swear!!)

Marina wrote: "If I understand correctly, you can also put your book up on pre-order on amazon and if you find bloggers kind and interested enough to read the book before release (sending them an ARC), you can release your book with a few reviews already up, which I can imagine is necessary if you want sales for the promos you're getting."

I totally looked into this before cuz it would be the most brilliant thing ever, right?? However...

Reviews cannot be left on Amazon while books are on pre-order. What people can do is pre-order (duh, Ann!) and give your rankings a boost before publication date. They could always review on GR, though, and go back to Amazon later (duhhh again haha!)

Hugs,
Ann

message 37: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Locker | 183 comments The Indie View has a pretty extensive list of book blogs who read and review Indie books specifically.

http://www.theindieview.com/indie-rev...

message 38: by Bree (new)

Bree Verity (breeverity) Annie wrote: "(I do NOT talk like this in real life! I swear!)"

Sure, sure... :-)

I find marketing and PR the hardest thing ever. I think Mistress Ann has no real drama with it because she likes to talk (or write?) to everyone about everything. And this is a good, good thing for people who are trying to entice people to buy their books. I've recently read Rise of the Machines by Kristen Lamb, which is a book basically about the psychology of PR, and totally recommended Rise of the Machines--Human Authors in a Digital World by Kristen Lamb .
Basically, you want to make people feel warm and fuzzies when they see your name on something. You want them NOT to feel grrrrs OR nothing. Nothing is just as bad as grrrrrs. I think Mistress Ann has the warm and fuzzies down to a fine art.

As for me, I cuddle up in my cave and hope the people come to me. It's not a very useful tactic. I've been trying to change (and that's why you've seen me on the forum a little bit!) but still, asking strangers to read my books? Scares the poopie out of me.

Having said that, I have no problem with asking people to beta-read. Perhaps it's because their opinions aren't going to be shouted to the heavens?? If I disagree with them, I can ignore them :-)

It sucks that people can pre-order on Amazon, but not leave reviews. I'd even be happy if they could leave reviews that would only show up when the book went live. Is it bad manners to ask people to re-post their awesome reviews on Amazon once the book goes live??

I think I do need to put some serious time into asking for reviews. But I'm running out of time. I'm editing my most recent book this month so that I have time to do Nanowrimo next month, then it's December... then January... the book is scheduled for release in February... gah!!

If anyone invents either (a) a time machine or (b) a cloning system, can you please contact me immediately.

Thanks so much!!

*Rant over

xoxo

Bree

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole wrote: "The Indie View has a pretty extensive list of book blogs who read and review Indie books specifically.

http://www.theindieview.com/indie-rev..."

That's nice of you to post the link. Thanks, Nicole.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I am like Bree. So...

message 41: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Bree wrote: "I think Mistress Ann has no real drama with it because she likes to talk (or write?) to everyone about everything."

Totes agree. This is why I stopped sharing so much about how I "market" cuz most people ask and then just roll their eyes and say, "That's just YOU, though. Nobody else would do ever that!" hahahaha!! Sooo...

*shares a smaller, more strategic amount*

Tee hee.

Seriously, though, methinks it's all about finding your personal sweet spot and playing to your strengths. Or something along those lines...? LOL

At the end of the day, people can only utilize advice from those similar-ish to them. If I wanna market, I'm gonna seek out advice from super wacky extroverts cuz whatever they do is gonna be natural for me too, ya know? If a shy author attempted to follow the gameplan of someone outgoing, I reckon they'd get frustrated and burn out quickly. Same-same vice versa.

I'm a firm believer that the best things in life lie just outside your comfort zone, though. If it's easy, it's probably not worth much cuz everyone's already doing it. Or something along those lines...? Yeah, not putting thoughts into sentences well today LMAO!!!

Hugs,
Ann

P.S. - Warm fuzzies are definitely the key to LOYAL readership!!

message 42: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Oooh! Just checked something and gotta share with you superstars!!

Other good connections to make are with promo sites. Free, paid, doesn't matter.

Sooo bookoftheday.org scheduled me for yesterday. They're totally free and pretty much accept all indies. No biggie, right? Well, all I did was exchange a handful of casual emails (we're talking only 1-2 lines each) with the boss dude over there. He told me yesterday that my book was "Trending" which is like this feature spot on the website. Pretty cool, eh? Well...

I'm still on there now. The next day. Should NOT be on there at all, much less today *giggles*

Useless sharing over hahaha!!

message 43: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 123 comments Annie wrote: "Oooh! Just checked something and gotta share with you superstars!!

Other good connections to make are with promo sites. Free, paid, doesn't matter.

Sooo bookoftheday.org scheduled me for yesterd..."

That's great! Congrats!

message 44: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

Awww! Thanks, Miss Aislinn!!

To be frank, it's not doing anything for my sales now. When they first posted, I got two within a few hours. However, it's impossible to tell if they're actually related...

*scratches head*

Okay, you wonderfully weird romance addicts. I finally found this link I was looking for:

http://www.knockinbooks.com/blog/why-...

Short article but kinda hits the nail on the head, imho. Hope that helps some!

**muahhh**

message 45: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Annie wrote: "Oooh! Just checked something and gotta share with you superstars!!

Sooo bookoftheday.org scheduled me for yesterd..."

Awesomeness!!

message 46: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Annie wrote: "Okay, you wonderfully weird romance addicts. I finally found this link I was looking for:

http://www.knockinbooks.com/blog/why-...

Short article but kinda hits the nail on the head, imho. Hope that helps some!"

Great article!! Thanks for sharing that, Mistress Ann!!

I submitted my book to Knockin Books for a review and they turned it down because their romance reviewer doesn't like to read dark and disturbing crime stuff, BUT she said that they loved my query letter and should I have anything less dark in the future that they would love to review it, I have to say that made me more excited than if they'd said yes to reviewing it!! I'm still excited about it and that was like three weeks ago or something!! So I definitely have to reinforce how important it is to spend time working on your query letter and making sure its just right before you send it off!!

message 47: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

OMGoodness! Knockin' Books was the one who praised my query letter and accepted it blind haha!!

*fist bumps the Princess*

Chhhyeeeeahhhh!!

message 48: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Annie wrote: "OMGoodness! Knockin' Books was the one who praised my query letter and accepted it blind haha!!

*fist bumps the Princess*

Chhhyeeeeahhhh!!"

Hahaha, fist bumps you back Mistress Ann!

message 49: by Annie, The Mistress (new)

description

message 50: by Jane (new)

Jane Blythe Annie wrote: ""

That is too cute!!

« previous 1