Get Graphic discussion

Great Expectations
This topic is about Great Expectations
Book Discussions > #2 - Manga Classics: Great Expectations

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andréa (fernandie) | 860 comments This is the discussion thread for Manga Classics: Great Expectations by Stacy King and Nokman Poon, based on the novel by Charles Dickens.

If you're going to discuss anything that might be spoiler-y for those who haven't finished the book yet, please use the handy spoiler feature, which hides spoilers:
< spoiler > ... < / spoiler > (Remove the spaces to use.) The spoiler-y information goes in-between, and will be hidden until people click through to it.

Andréa (fernandie) | 860 comments I haven't read Great Expectations, so I wasn't sure how easy it would be for me to understand this graphic novel. (All the other Manga Classics I've read so far have been adaptations of novels I've already read.) Despite having to presumably condense the story a lot to fit this format, I found it easy to follow and easy to understand.

For me, I think the most interesting part was actually the backmatter, in which Crystal S. Chan discusses the difficulties in adapting a first-person narrative into the manga format. I also didn't know that Charles Dickens had written two different endings for Great Expectations; now I'll have to read the original with the two endings!