World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Facebook Ads for Book Sales

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie Silk (last edited Oct 12, 2016 12:07PM) (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments Hey everyone :) I have been going back and forth on whether to use Facebook ads to promote my books. I am a numbers girl, and I want to know I am getting the best for my marketing dollars. I read this article today which really helped me understand Facebook ads for the first time, and why you should proceed with caution if you are going to use them:

https://janefriedman.com/facebook-ads/

Honestly, I get way more clicks per day from posting a couple tweets on AskDavid than this lady got from her ad that cost way more. Ask David tweets are $10 for 30 of them, which last me a couple weeks. Anyway, if any of you have had results with facebook ads and/or facebook boosts, I'd love to hear all about it!

message 2: by Kent (new)

Kent Babin | 176 comments I came across this post while researching facebook ads a while ago. The author seems to have been pretty successful.

My own experience for facebook advertising for other things is that it's an endless cycle of testing to see what works best. Being a numbers person should help you succeed, but you will also need a great image, copy, and blurb (once the person clicks on your ad to open your book page).

I'm thinking of experimenting a bit with facebook ads once I get some more reviews. Thanks for the tip about AskDavid. Hadn't heard of that site before.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments What is ask David?

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments What is ask David?

message 5: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments It's a book promotion service that uses Twitter. They've got 53K followers and you can buy tweets from their account. They will also tweet your book for free when it is on free promotion.

I really don't want to figure out Twitter so I kind of cheat by using Ask David :D. You can also pay for a membership to have your books featured on the website, but I see more activity from using the tweets than anything else. They also give their members incentives to retweet whatever you enter, so your reach has the potential to expand quite a ways.

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13507 comments Thanks for bringing the link, Marie. Some helpful little things that make the difference. Good luck with the ads! Being pretty successful there without the ads, I hope you'll easily achieve a further boost -:)

message 7: by Marie Silk (last edited Oct 12, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments Kent wrote: "I came across this post while researching facebook ads a while ago. The author seems to have been pretty successful.

My own experience for facebook advertising for other things is that it's an end..."

Thanks for that link. It seems the facebook ads really worked for him. I do want to try them eventually, but I want to read all this kind of stuff first to hopefully weed out some trial and error. Some people report success with Amazon ads too, while others say it is a waste of money. Decisions, decisions.

Tara Woods Turner | 2063 comments Marie wrote: "Kent wrote: "I came across this post while researching facebook ads a while ago. The author seems to have been pretty successful.

My own experience for facebook advertising for other things is tha..."

This was really informative for me: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Marie wrote: "It's a book promotion service that uses Twitter. They've got 53K followers and you can buy tweets from their account. They will also tweet your book for free when it is on free promotion.

I really..."

askdavid.com is in our Comprehensive Author Resources spreadsheet. It shows that 3 members have used it. I bet many more have used it.

message 10: by Kent (new)

Kent Babin | 176 comments Marie wrote: "Kent wrote: "I came across this post while researching facebook ads a while ago. The author seems to have been pretty successful.

My own experience for facebook advertising for other things is tha..."

You're welcome.

I'd say people will be quick to dismiss a given platform if they don't put a lot of effort into making it successful. They could, for example, get 1,000 clicks on their facebook ad but no sales. Is that fb's fault or perhaps their book page/description/cover were not convincing?

In any case, the value I see in fb ads is the analytics. You can know right away if your ad is performing well. You don't need to guess like with a lot of other platforms. And since Amazon gives you next to nothing with regards to conversions, you need all the data you can get.

message 11: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore Kent,
I'm in the many clicks/no sales category, but that generally happens, so I've generally stopped wasting my money. And if all visitors to my blog bought my books, I would be much better off.
Reviewers are increasingly more difficult to find. First, you need lots of readers, and then you hope that 1-10% of those will actually write a review (at least what qualifies as one on Amazon). Second, I've pretty much given up on bookbloggers. They've probably realized their business model is now wrong: everybody with a book will send them a freebie, so they're swamped because they don't screen what they review. Of course, some just say, "Send it anyway and MAYBE I'll review it." Third, many online marketing sites will only accept your book if you have N 4- or 5-star reviews on Amazon, a vicious circle if I ever saw one.
How do I react to all that? I just keep writing!
r/Steve

message 12: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments Kent wrote: "In any case, the value I see in fb ads is the analytics. You can know right away if your ad is performing well. You don't need to guess like with a lot of other platforms. And since Amazon gives you next to nothing with regards to conversions, you need all the data you can get. "

Yes, this is true. The way I go about getting some semblance of data isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing. I use booklinker to track my clicks when I post my book on facebook and twitter.

There is a new ebook marketing service called Book Raid that you can use for your promotions. Unlike the other ebook marketing sites that you have to guess with, BookRaid will actually track your clicks. They charge per-click to a maximum of $10. I used them for one of my recent free promotions and had 86 clicks from them. It's not a ton, but I wish all the ebook marketing sites would do this :).

I have never used Amazon ads, Facebook ads, or Goodreads ads before. I will probably use FB ads eventually.

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) I've been planning to run a Facebook ad since the summer but have yet to do so. I watched two webinars on how to do them, I've taken down notes and pretty much have it down but still have yet to do so. Why? I'd say time but I'd be lying because I have all the time in the world. It's been two things, the fact that I have a bunch of other promotion and marketing stuff do do so I don't wanna throw a Facebook ad into the shuffle. Also my second reason for not doing it is because I'm afraid it'll bomb and fail. I know I have no possible way of knowing how it will do and given that I said I have good knowledge of them that you'd think I'd be looking forward to it but I don't know. Too many unknowns and a bit of pressure.

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore Justin,
Do your other PR and marketing first. Always be careful of "the pros" who say they have a surefire way to book success, though. And sometimes some inexpensive ways (some suggested here) can do you a lot more good.
Can't say anything's really worked for me, but we like black cats in our family.
r/Steve