Play Book Tag discussion

American Heiress: The Wild Saga of the Kidnapping, Crimes and Trial of Patty Hearst
This topic is about American Heiress
Archive: Other Books > American Heiress - Jeffrey Toobin - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 783 comments In his new book Jeffrey Toobin gives an excellent version of Patty Hearst's kidnapping. Toobin was able to give details of her kidnapping, conversations, plans of the Symbionese Liberation Army (SLA), information on her time on the run, events finally leading to her arrest, and strategies of the defense and prosecution teams. The author's research was evident and with his clear writing style he laid out the facts that made for an interesting read. He stresses an important matter of whether Patty Hearst felt forced to join up with the rebellious SLA and commit crimes on their behalf or if she did it voluntarily. He pointed out if there were discrepancies in what SLA members said versus what Patty Hearst told. The reader knew where Toobin stands on the differences, but they can come to their own conclusion.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7709 comments Kelly wrote: "In his new book Jeffrey Toobin gives an excellent version of Patty Hearst's kidnapping. Toobin was able to give details of her kidnapping, conversations, plans of the Symbionese Liberation Army (SL..."

I really like Toobin's writing and this one is on my TBR. Yours is the first review of it I have seen though and your five star review is encouraging!

I am not overly familiar with the Patty Hearst story so I think I will learn a lot.

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Thrilled to see you gave this five stars. Definitely going onto the TBR as I really like Toobin's writing as well.

message 4: by Ladyslott (new) - added it

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I've never read Toobin and I don't know why; I looked his books over and I enjoy reading books about real life crime so this is right up my alley.

I am endlessly fascinated by Patty Hearst's story, she is just a couple of years younger than me and her kidnapping was the big story of the 70's. I am going to have to read this one but probably not until the new year, I am concentrating on finishing up my challenges.