2016 Reading Challenge discussion

Questions/ Discussions > New book ideas

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Raddon (crystalmercedes) | 59 comments Mod
Hey everyone! Hope you are having fun and enjoying the book challenge. I am thinking next year I want to do my own challenge where I come up with a list of ideas instead of finding them from other sites. I would love some help with topic suggestions. If you have ideas you would like to share just reply to this post. Some questions to keep in mind:

Any categories you would not do again?
Any topics from this year or last you think would be good to add again?
What do you think a good goal is? This had 40 I will likely try to do similar ones.

Last thing. I was thinking of doing one category based on others favorites in the group. Would that be fun if we had a list of everyone's favorite book and you had to choose from one of those?

message 2: by Christi (new)

Christi I'm going to skip a reading challenge next year.
I've done the PopSugar list for two years.

I've learned that I just don't enjoy a lot of the genres that I don't usually read - sci fi, YA, politics, graphic novel. I don't want to continue to force myself to read books just to check them off a list.

I have 8 books to go for this year and I am not excited to read 4 of them!

message 3: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I didn't do last years challenge, but my suggestions (based on this year's challenge) are as follows:

1). No "book and it's prequel/sequel" type thing please - it's one of the categories I've still got to read and I'm not looking forward to it.
2). There's a category this year for a book set in summer, how about a book set in winter for next year? Similarly, a book suitable for a rainy day might be another category.
3). A book either set in or published in the year you're born in (for example, for me it would be 1980)? Seeing as there's a category for a book 100 years older than us this year
4). A category entitled "a classic you always wanted to read"
5). Instead of "a book set in Europe", how about a book set in Africa, Asia or the Americas? Just for something different

From this year's list, I think "a book translated into English", "a book from the library", "a book about a culture you're unfamiliar with" and "the first one you see in a book store" were all good ideas. And can produce some interesting reading.

I'm not sure what a good goal would be - 30 to 40, I guess?

I like the pick a book from our favourites list idea. Only thing is I've got something like five or six favourites!