Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

Usless trivia, fun facts and strange truths.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
Have you got a fun fact? what about a Useless trivia?
or even a strange truth?
That you have to share with the world...or just us
Here is the place you can do it.
Personally I'm full of odd Information.
(i'm just all round odd any way so why should my mind be any different!)

message 2: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Rankin (jmrankin) | 31 comments Strange/useless fact, but I learnt the other day that the smell of freshly cut grass (that I love!) is actually its chemical distress call... oops!

message 3: by Adele, Moderator (new)

so thats what im allergic to! i have a really bad allergy to freshly cut grass. now i can say i'm allergic to the distress call of grass.. sounds more poetic doesn't it.

ok um my turn again.. Pirates wore eye patches so that they could see in the dark.

message 4: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Rankin (jmrankin) | 31 comments It does sound more poetic!

Really? How did it help them see in the dark? Something to do with line of sight?

message 5: by Adele, Moderator (new)

J.M. mythbusters did a pirate special. (yes there is science behind it).
it was so when they went below deck they could still see. seriously try it. when you walk around at night close one eye about a minute(maybe more but I usually do a minute depending on the health of your eye) before you go outside and you close the eye that was open when you are in the dark. you will be able to see better. I do it a lot when I have to go to the toilet in the middle of the night.
how's that for a lifehack.... maybe I should include lifehacks too.
has anybody got a favorite lifehack?
I love watching the videos on YouTube. has anyone got a favorite lifehack video they want to share?

message 6: by Vannessa (new)

Vannessa | 24 comments My really useless fact for the day...(I only found this out yesterday as well). In the UK at least, trains go through a giant train wash, like a car wash, when they need cleaning. It had never occurred to me before, not being a train fan and all, how they were kept clean! I had this image of people scrubbing them with long brushes and buckets of soapy water!

My friend was travelling to Brighton by train yesterday and she asked how they were cleaned. My cousin works for the rail disaster unit, so I asked him and that's what he said!

Now that's all my train knowledge complete LOL

message 7: by Adele, Moderator (new)

oh wow. that's a really good one!! I'd never thought of a train wash!
makes me think of the movie a shark tale ..where they were washing whales with brooms etc. lol yeah that's what I pictured when you were talking about washing trains with brooms.

message 8: by Vannessa (new)

Vannessa | 24 comments Hehe that's exactly how I thought they were done too!

message 9: by Adele, Moderator (new)

ok how is this strange truth.... frogs live on every continent except Antarctica. there are about 2,600 species roughly at the moment. that's not counting extinct or yet to be discovered species

message 10: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Rankin (jmrankin) | 31 comments Wow, that is a lot of frogs! I once heard that despite the number of species, the same call of one particular frog (i think it's a type of tree frog) is always used in films/tv shows no matter where it is set, etc, as it was the first one ever recorded back in the day!

message 11: by Adele, Moderator (new)

really? with all Those frogs I would have guessed they would be spoiled for choice. But then again it could be like the Wilhelm scream.
Warning... if you hear the Wilhelm scream you will NEVER not be able to hear it. it is in a lot of movies.
I went to a film museum here in Melbourne (Australia). and learned about it there. anyway since I have heard it I have a tendency to pick it out in whatever movie I am watching. it is annoying to my partner.. But I love it (annoying him and finding the Wilhelm).
there is an explanation of it here on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/SzITADosISk
this guy talks about it as well as other "easter eggs" in movies.
such as every pixar movie having A113 in it.

what other "easter eggs" does anyone know. I know a few cause I love finding them but I'm curious what other people know.

message 12: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Rankin (jmrankin) | 31 comments I heard about the scream, and have heard it in quite a few films. I might have to start listening out for it in others!

I know quite a few easter eggs from disney movies that ive watched a lot more since my daughter was born. There's the obvious Micky Mouse in every film in one form or another, even appearing in the audience at the start of Little Mermaid.

Apparently, in a single frame in Apocalypto there is someone dressed as Where's Wally/Waldo.

message 13: by Adele, Moderator (new)

don't forget there is the pixar A113 reference - i think it was the office they had while at disney... either way it ends up in movies.
9 month old article but still worth the read:
https://ohmy.disney.com/movies/2016/0...

and the planet pizza being shown.
http://pixar.wikia.com/wiki/Pizza_Pla...

also other disney characters constantly show up in other movies.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo...

here is the complete list as of 2011 for the wilhelm.... http://www.cinexcellence.com/complete...

there are more than that now seeing the article was written in 2011 but it shows you how much it is used. and there is even more coming out each time a movie is released.... so look out for it!

message 14: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
On the Pixar thing... Every Pixar movie has a connection of some sort, from Toy Story all the way to Dory.